Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rosco's Mom
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the deal. I strongly supspect Rosco developed an allergy to either chicken, turkey, or duck. I'm not sure which as he was eating Turducken by Merrick. But eventually his shedding got out of control and eventually he got his first bout of yucky ears. I decided to try him on lamb and rice. I was blending Cal. Natural L&R with Acana Grasslands. He did wonderfully on this combo, his shedding went back to normal and his ears cleared up.
Then Acana decided to add duck the Grasslands formula :mad:. So I picked up a bag of their Pacifica to blend with Cal. Nat. After now being on the Pacifica for about three weeks I am noticing his shedding is coming back and his ears are getting goopy again. Is it possible Rosco's allergic to the fish? Or other ingredient in Pacifica?
Do you guys think I should try going back to the Grasslands formula even though it has duck and see what happens? Or do you guys think I should feed California Natural alone? Or ride it out a while longer with the Pacifica and see what happens?
:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Maybe it wouldnt hurt to retreat to the California Natural that you know works well?

·
Rosco's Mom
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I think you're both right so right now I'm feeding the Cal. Nat. alone. Looks like one of our local no kill pet shelters is about to get a nearly full bag of Pacifica so at least something good will come out of this!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It seems like a perplexing scenario. Your dog had trouble while on Turducken by Merrick. He also had trouble while on Acana Pacifica. Yet, those two formulas don't seem to share any common primary ingredients.

The barley or flaxseed in the Turducken could just as likely be a problem for your dog as any of the meat sources. You might try transitioning to and feeding The Acana Grasslands exclusively for awhile and see how that works. Your dog apparently does well with lamb and duck doesn't show up on the Grasslands ingredients list until #11 - which means there is very little of it compared to the Turducken formula. It will be difficult to judge how well your dog does on another formula until you feed it exclusively for a couple of months.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
And don't forget that excessive shedding and yucky ears are also classic signs of low thyroid.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I agree with just sticking with the California Natural. That has been the only food that Tucker's ears have stayed clean on and his shedding has been very minimal since starting it. We don't mix our dog's foods at all. We just stick with what we know works. It might also be a good idea to have a thyroid panel done just to be sure.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
It seems like a perplexing scenario. Your dog had trouble while on Turducken by Merrick. He also had trouble while on Acana Pacifica. Yet, those two formulas don't seem to share any common primary ingredients.

The barley or flaxseed in the Turducken could just as likely be a problem for your dog as any of the meat sources. You might try transitioning to and feeding The Acana Grasslands exclusively for awhile and see how that works. Your dog apparently does well with lamb and duck doesn't show up on the Grasslands ingredients list until #11 - which means there is very little of it compared to the Turducken formula. It will be difficult to judge how well your dog does on another formula until you feed it exclusively for a couple of months.

The new Acana formulas now have duck.:(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I too, would go back to the California Natural. Since you know that has worked for him in the past, I wouldn't mix any other foods.
I have to be very careful with Brody's food, due to allergies to many grains. It must be grain free, or I have problems with him itching and his ears as well.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I, too, say stick with what works. If the shedding and yucky ears cleared up on the CN, I'd stick with it.
We've had pretty good luck with the CN. Riley's on the herring and sweet potato formula, though. The only thing I noticed was that after he'd been on that food, exclusively, for a couple weeks he started eating dirt. I wondered if there was something missing in his diet since it IS such a limited ingredient food, or if he was just being a chucklehead and decided that eating dirt is great fun. (I think the latter is more likely.) I've never heard of anyone else having that problem after switching to CN. We started mixing in some Fromm, though, and the dirt-eating stopped, so who knows?
But definitely, if the CN works, go with it!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
And don't forget that excessive shedding and yucky ears are also classic signs of low thyroid.
This is key advice....FWIW, some foods and oils can change thyroid function - if one of those food's formula changed his thyroid might not have been as well supported with the new formula - OR his thyroid function has decreased and is now no longer supported with his current diet....

You can experiment with foods, but if Rosco is a neutered male over the age of two and is presenting with a relatively sudden onset of yucky ears and increased shedding you should rule out hypothyroidism...If it were food allergies I'd expect some itchies in addition to the shedding - perhaps primary to the shedding and ears. Other symptoms of thyroid are focus/training issues, weight gain, heat seeking, lethargy, quality of hair/coat (precursor to excessive shedding), etc etc.

There's that saying about hoofbeats making you think about horses not zebras...

Erica

·
Rosco's Mom
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Someone mentioned ingredients other than the meat source and I had considered that it could very well be a barley or other grain allergy (but as of now not rice since he does well on CN). I too am a little perplexed :bowl:
Murphy Teller - thank you for your input. I did forget to mention that Rosco's itchies came back with the Pacifica which he had previously on Turducken. He will be 2 in about a month but no lethargy or seeking warm spots in the house, and his coat is soft and shiny. Given this should I still have a thyroid check done? Also what would recommend I do for him for now in terms of diet? Sticking with CN exclusively seems to be the consesus for the most part.
Keep the opinions coming GR Forumers they're welcome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts