Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the opportunity to buy a puppy (about 7 months old) from a reputable breeder who had purchased this puppy to be a stud but due to a small curve in his tail, they are looking for a companion home for him. We're new to all this & would like more experienced opinons! He looks wonderful to me, but most golden puppies do! His info is here:
http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=346253

and pics of him can be seen as a puppy here:

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/photo.php?pid=2377223&id=704233200

we've had wonderful contact so far & are waiting to see him after we return from a christmas trip.

thanks guys, this forum has been a world of information for us!!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
He sure is beautiful. I don't know a lot about the show bloodlines, but it looks like he has a lot of success behind him. The clearances seem to be in place as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I know nothing of the dam, but his sire is Yogi. THE Yogi. :) That is awesome, in my opinion. Yogi is a legend and an amazing ambassador to the breed. And the pup is cute!

BUT! I would still see if you can take the dog to your vet or get a health certificate from the owner's vet before you take him. If his tail is the only problem, okay. But you want to know if you might also be dealing with something more major like eye or heart problems. Some things wouldn't prevent him from being a great pet like problem with his teeth or a missing testicle, but you want to be aware of everything so you can properly care for the pup.

I hope others will chime in.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'd swoop on it. The father is a very famous stud dog who has produced many wonderful puppies.

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
I'll let other more experienced people talk to you about the important stuff... but I must say he is gorgeous!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man y'all are quick!!!!!! Thanks for all the replys & keep 'em coming! He is a precious "big" little guy! Can't wait to get more recent photos & I'll share them asap!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
With three championships to his name (Ch, OTCH, CT), Yogi is the true meaning of a versatile golden. I don't know if there are any other goldens that have made both show dog hall of fame and obedience hall of fame, but I was told Yogi was the first. I've heard of Xcelerate Goldens, I believe she's a member of the Greater Houston Golden Retriever Club. As it was pointed out, make sure he is healthy, but breeding wise it looks first rate.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm not a breeder or shower but I know handsome when I see it. He is a looker and looks to have some great lines in him. One of my boys has a bit of a kink in his tail and I feel like that is what makes him special. It also helps to pick him out of a crowd of goldens at get togethers. :p:

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Does the original breeder know that he's being re-homed? Does Alison know he's being placed?

Been there done that - just be clear that the original breeder has given consent for him to be placed without their intervention. My first golden came from a reputable breeder and was sired by one of those really popular really successful stud dogs. The person who gave him up didn't have rights to give him up and it nearly came to this huge legal thing - and there were lawyers involved. I had called the breeder to let them know that I had one of their dogs and I was threatened - and they announced they were coming to get him right then - where did I live, etc etc. I kept my dog but only because I negotiated with the breeder - who held his papers actually - I never had them...

Erica

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
WOW! Lucky, lucky you. Yogi as a sire. Excelerate has gorgeous dogs!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
just wanted to say WOW he is gorgeous and I would take him in a heart beat
you will be one lucky owner to have him

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Wow, what an incredible puppy. I would love to have him- can't lie! I do believe Erica's cautions are very relevant, as the stud dog's owner is very, very responsible and cares deeply about where each and every puppy goes. However, I am sure you're a wonderful home and she will not object if the breeder chooses you! How could you pass on such a wonderpup?

I am not sure about this particular case, but I have seen an awful lot of adolescent dogs this year from well-known breeders who are simply not even close to housebroken, don't seem to know their names, and in general are more experienced with a kennel than a household. You might want to ask about his house manners/ experience so you can be prepared.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, as usual you all have wonderful suggestions & I'll be inquiring more about each issue you brought up. Hope all goes well & I'll keep you posted!! Merry Christmas & blessings to all!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Wonderful pedigree...beautiful pup! I would scoop him up in a heartbeat!!!
As Erica said....be sure he is free and clear to be sold to you...
Jill brings up a very valid point...if he has been a kennel dog up to this point...be prepared for some major housemanner issues. (Not just an issue for kennel dogs...our Lexi was a 'porch puppy' and had no social graces)
My only tip woul be to realize that (kennel dog or not) you are walking headlong into adolesence....I would find a training class now ;-) ...
Fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Our Dolly was a former breeder who was living in an outdoor kennel. She adapted very quickly to life indoors.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DSC_2002-4.JPG Here is one puppy pic...hope to get more recent ones soon! thanks again for everyone's input on this!! We're getting soooooooooooo excited!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts