Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just came to me looking for advice on this matter. Maybe some of you can give me your opinions/advice...

My friend just told me about a dog that belongs to a neighbor of hers. She tells me this dog is left outside 90% of the day by his owners. She has lived there for 5 months now - and the dog has gotten out twice already and been running loose in the neighborhood.

The first time he got out she was able to catch him and brought him back to his owners.

The second time he got out, another neighbor further down got a hold of him but did not know who he belonged to. So this neighbor called the #'s on his tag and got the run around "oh that's not my dog, call this #" kind of thing.

Now she tells me the dog got out again yesterday, but she couldn't get a hold of him. She tried calling the owners, no answer. Went and knocked on their door....no answer. She found out through facebook and craigslist that the dog is at a local shelter.

So the question is........should she tell the rightful owners where the dog is? Or should she let him get adopted by an owner that will properly care for him?

Keep in mind that she lives near a very busy highway here on Long Island (Sunrise Highway for the new yorkers out there)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
If the owners truly care, they will find him on their own.
Does he have a good chance of being adopted? We have so many strays down here that the odds aren't so good, but I understand it isn't that way up there.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
As much as it may seem like it's best for the dog to have a more loving responsible owner, I think the only right thing to do is reunite the runaway with his rightful owner. I do get how hard this would be to do the right thing, though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is the shelter a no kill shelter? Apparently, the owner doesn't want the dog as you didn't mention there being a search for him. I don't think they deserve to be pet owners.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean personally i don't know these owners from a hole in the wall......but I do trust my friend, she is not one to embellish a story.

I told her she should stay out of it and let the owners find out where he is on their own.

BUT 2 things come to mind:

A) what if these owners really do care and cannot track down where he is at?

-or-

B) if they care but cannot track him down....or if they don't care and dont look for him....either way he will end up being stuck at this shelter. And it bothers me that there is always the chance he doesn't get adopted and has to be put down...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the more i think about thsi the more I think she should tell the owners where is at.

Is calling the humane society a possibility in the future? Lets say she cals the owners, they go down and get him, and 2 weeks from now he gets out again. Can she call the humane society? What would her options be as a concerned animal loving neighbor?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the shelter a no kill shelter? Apparently, the owner doesn't want the dog as you didn't mention there being a search for him. I don't think they deserve to be pet owners.
it is a KILL SHELTER

I definitely get the vibe that they aren't responsible owners.....but I'd hate to see the dog sit there and end up getting put down when nobody comes to adopt/claim him.....

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I don't know the situation about the dog's quality of life/care, nor is it my place to make decisions. But there are times where euthanasia is a more humane option when looking at the quality of life someone is willing/able to give. (Been on my mind a lot after hearing a story about a dog terrified and shaking and hiding all day every day in a home for a year. the people love the dog, but the dog has an extremely poor quality of life).

I may leave a message with the shelter, giving them contact information for the owner.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Call the shelter and give them the contact information for the owners. Likely, the dog (again) was loose with it's collar on. They've probably already called the owners and they've chosen not to go get the dog.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Call the shelter and give them the contact information for the owners. Likely, the dog (again) was loose with it's collar on. They've probably already called the owners and they've chosen not to go get the dog.
This is what i would do. If the dog was at a no kill shelter or rescue I wouldn't say anything to the owners but I would hate to see the dog get put to sleep. There is another option if she really wants to go all out to save the dog she could adopt it from the shelter and then find a good home for it herself.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
As much as I hate to say this, I do agree that the owner should be told their dog is in the shelter. They sound to very irresponsible and my guess from what you have said above, they will not claim their dog.

I've seen it a few times where the owners found out that their dog was in the local shelter, it had been picked up as a stray, once they found out what the fee(s) was to claim it, they refused. Really really sad.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got some more information.

The dog was found by animal control with his collar on, but the tags were "ripped off" :confused: Wondering if the owners did this themselves intentionally......I'd hate to speculate

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I hate to say this, I do agree that the owner should be told their dog is in the shelter. They sound to very irresponsible and my guess from what you have said above, they will not claim their dog.

I've seen it a few times where the owners found out that their dog was in the local shelter, it had been picked up as a stray, once they found out what the fee(s) was to claim it, they refused. Really really sad.....
I'm so torn on what to do.....

I mean yeah it sounds like the owners are in a coma, but who knows maybe their kid has a habit of leaving the fence open or something....i don't know.

but being that it is a kill shelter I'd hate to leave him there. To me the upside of returning him to his owner is more than the downside of leaving him there and possibly seeing him put down.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
I think your best option is to tell the shelter who the owner is.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I agree, tell the shelter who the owner is, they can contact them and let them know. Then if you see the owners you can make a point of asking them if they got their dog out of the shelter or not in person, maybe shmuck them in the head for the dog either way.

I'm in a bit of the same situation, friends had a dog they were trying to rehome, I suggested some rescues and such if they couldn't find something in time. The dog got out and got picked up by animal control and they aren't getting him out because the fines are going to be insane (no license on the dog) and they'd have to rehome him anyway soon. I don't know if they called animal control or not though. But, because at least the dog is safe and will find a home I'm not going to say anything at this point.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would call the shelter and give them the whole story of what has happened in the past with the dog. Give them the dog's owner name, address and phone number. That way you can rest easy knowing you have done everything to help the dog. And then hopefully they will fine them and get the dog adopted out to another family.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,511 Posts
Would you want your neighbors to tell you where your dog is if it got out? Of course you would. A good neighbor helps his neighbor. Without question you tell them where their dog is. If they want the dog they'll bail it out of the shelter.

How will you feel when your neighbor is looking for their dog and you know it's time ran out at the kill shelter and was pts? Remember you have to live there and get along with people.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news

You know, I thouhght about this all day yesterday and at the end of the day my advice was that she should to tell the owners (her neighbors) where their dog is. Because like many of you said, if it was your dog, you'd want to know. At the time though, she didn't seem like she wanted to tell them since she thought she'd only be putting him back into bad hands. So I didn't press it - I gave my advice to her and that was all.

About 7pm last night she calls me to tell me that she told the owners where their dog was. At least that way the ball is in their court - if they did in fact rip the tags off, or if they really don't want the dog, then they won't go get him. If they do want him, they will go down and get him. So I felt relieved that she at least told the owners.

But meanwhile during the day I was reaching out to people I know to see if they'd be interested in adopting him, because at that point I was still feeling like the owners shouldn't be told where their dog was. A good friend of mine who is an animal lover got back to me and said his aunt has a friend who is an animal control officer in the facility the dog is in.....so as of this morning he is going to have his aunt reach out to the shelter, fill them in on the situation, let them know that the owners have been notified and that they might be coming to claim him.

At least this way the shelter knows the situation, and if the owners dont come in a day or 2 then obviously they don't want the dog. Best part is my friends aunt knows of a great rescue/adoption group for this breed of dog - Shiba Inu.

Looks like this dog won't be getting euthanized any time soon, thank goodness. I am hoping the owners don't come so that the dog can get a chance at a better life :wavey:

I just wouldn't have felt right about not telling the owners - like who are we to decide who does and doesn't get a chance with their pet.....

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
ActionJackson

ActionJackson

Please keep us posted on this dog.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts