Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I am 22, and was really scared about what the breeder was going to think when she met me on pickup day. She's 6 hours away and we communicated via phone and email, but she had no idea of my age. Plus, many strangers are shocked that I am even 22 (great genes, I guess).

I researched like mad before picking her up. I was more stressed and nervous than excited because I wanted to be the best mom to Molly and I wanted to raise her the best I could and do EVERYTHING right and I was so scared I might fail. Before she came home, before I even decided on a name, she was enrolled in 2 puppy classes. Her name was "TBD" on the forms. I was so worried about socialization that I planned and scheduled play groups and puppy play every week, before she came home. I signed her up for Trupanion because I wanted to be sure I would always be able to give Molly the care she needed. My boyfriend and I arranged a schedule so that Molly would never be home alone for more than 3 hours. I research every treat/food that I buy for her. The entire place was puppy proofed and even my boyfriend thought I was going overboard. I have done all I could so far for her, and will continue to do so. I honestly don't think I can do any more than I already have.

I know people my age and people who are older who are not raising their dogs responsibly. I think a lot of it is ignorance, and not having any idea on how to raise a dog properly. It really doesn't have anything to do with age. I am the youngest in every puppy class and puppy play. I used to think, maybe dog owners my age aren't responsible enough to bring their dogs to classes and socialization. But then I thought, hey, I'm here, and I'm young. Heck, even my ever so mature mother wouldn't know how to raise a dog properly, because she came from a different place and time.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I am 22, and was really scared about what the breeder was going to think when she met me on pickup day. She's 6 hours away and we communicated via phone and email, but she had no idea of my age. Plus, many strangers are shocked that I am even 22 (great genes, I guess).

I researched like mad before picking her up. I was more stressed and nervous than excited because I wanted to be the best mom to Molly and I wanted to raise her the best I could and do EVERYTHING right and I was so scared I might fail. Before she came home, before I even decided on a name, she was enrolled in 2 puppy classes. Her name was "TBD" on the forms. I was so worried about socialization that I planned and scheduled play groups and puppy play every week, before she came home. I signed her up for Trupanion because I wanted to be sure I would always be able to give Molly the care she needed. My boyfriend and I arranged a schedule so that Molly would never be home alone for more than 3 hours. I research every treat/food that I buy for her. The entire place was puppy proofed and even my boyfriend thought I was going overboard. I have done all I could so far for her, and will continue to do so. I honestly don't think I can do any more than I already have.

I know people my age and people who are older who are not raising their dogs responsibly. I think a lot of it is ignorance, and not having any idea on how to raise a dog properly. It really doesn't have anything to do with age. I am the youngest in every puppy class and puppy play. I used to think, maybe dog owners my age aren't responsible enough to bring their dogs to classes and socialization. But then I thought, hey, I'm here, and I'm young. Heck, even my ever so mature mother wouldn't know how to raise a dog properly, because she came from a different place and time.

It sounds like you have done everything right to prepare for you new fur baby. Great job.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts