Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's my situation. Before Riley come along last winter, we had only two cats and they were 2 years old. They had tons of toys to play with. And believe me, they played with them. When we got Riley, we more less had to puppy proof the house which meant getting rid a lot of the small cat toys. Just the other day, Lenny found one of his toys, a small perforated plastic ball (golf ball size) that has a wee bell in the middle. They had such a blast with this, I put Riley outside and let them play. Now I put him out whenever they want to play. But my question is they lose them quite frequently and if Riley happens to come across one, would a perforated ball be more safe if he were to swallow one than a solid ball which could block his airway. My floor is littered with dog toys now but I thinks it's unfair to the cats to take their toys from them. Any suggestions or opinions on this? Thanks.

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
We had the same problem when we brought Rufus home. The cat toys had to be restricted to the basement which was off limits to Rufus. As far as a perforated ball being safer if he swallowed it...all I can tell you is at 4 1/2 month Rufus had to have surgery to remove a piece of metal he had picked up off the floor and swallowed before I could grab it out of his mouth (first time in our new home and he found it within ten minutes of walking in the door). That was traumatic enough for me to make the decision to keep the cat toys away permanently. I'd be afraid of him swallowing anything whether perforated or not. Good Luck!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I would think that the size of the cat toys would be the perfect size for choking or eating. New Golden Mom's suggestion of keeping the cat toys in a place inaccessible to Riley would be safest.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I try to do. I don't have the benefit of having a basement where I can completely enclose off to Riley. I have a large three bedroom bungalow and one end has a pet gate where the cats can go to get away but it's not very big. I let them play when he's gone out, but the odd time they can bury a toy somewhere and forget about it and like they say "out of sight, out of mind" until it gets found again.I was just wondering worse case scenario if he ever did find one. Riley did find a new toy today though, he played with a baby carrot for about an hour. Mostly pouncing on it and nipping at it. Quite amusing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts