Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
As others have said, the chip needle looks big, but it really doesn't seem to bother the dogs much because it's over so fast and it's such a tough area of skin. My guys were chipped at a GR breed health clinic and also got their eyes and hearts cleared the same day. The chips took five seconds, and neither dog so much as flinched.

I don't see any reason why a dog couldn't be chipped and get a booster at the same visit, but you can ask your vet about that.

·
and Kaylee
270 Posts
The only con I have is Kaylee's chip has migrated. It is currently sitting on her left inner shoulder area. So if at our next vet visit the vet can't find it without us saying where it is we will have to put in a new one.

All the vets were shocked that it moved so much. She had it put in by the breeders vet when she was 7 weeks old. Apparently they are less likely to move if growing is finished.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The vet who chipped Ben was new and she put it in the wrong place. He has a lot of loose skin around his shoulders, so the chip ended up kind of around the side. Still, so far there has been no problem with finding it with the scanner. We get it checked each year.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts