Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We've always been thinking of getting Chase micro chipped and our vet always said wait until you get him neutered so he's out for it. However, we're not sure when we're going to neuter him if at all. He's 14 months old now and we've been thinking about having him micro chipped because of going on vacations. I'd just like to know whether you guys think it's a really good idea or not? And has anyone done it while they weren't put out before? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had Kuyani's done a couple months ago during his annual exam. He was wide awake and hardly moved. Although, when I saw the needle, I almost changed my mind lol it looked like the type of needle we use to give cows shots on the farm! Huge. But he objected more to the boosters than he did to the chipping. I like the idea of microchipping as a permanent identification method. Collars and tags can be lost, but a microchip will not.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Bentley was chipped at 4 months. I had his head in my lap and we were all talking. I was waiting for the Dr to do it, he said "I already did". I didn't realize it and neither did Bentley. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Both my dogs had theirs while they were not put out. Ben got his around 3-4 months and Charlie got hers before we brought her home from the breeder. She's now 10 weeks. For Ben it was a little painful like the vaccines but nothing crazy.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
Kiki had hers in the second we got her which was about 4 months :) She was wide awake. Same story as Bentley'smom

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh good! These stories make me feel so much better, I was so nervous to do it while he was awake! I had heard the needle was huge! Has anyone seen the actual micro chip before they put it in? What does it look like? And is it electronic? I know this is a weird question but is it something that emits radiation or anything? I was never so paranoid until we got Chase, now I over think everything! :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's about the size of a grain of rice and does not emit anything until the scanner goes over it to read it. We had our Suzie microchipped as soon as we got her, separate from her spay, and it was no different than getting a shot. I would definitely always microchip any dog I had now, in case their collar came off or something. In fact, we were out of town this weekend and I was driving my vet's office crazy making sure they registered our chip before we left!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
As others said its the size of a grain of rice and it does nothing at all except trigger a scanner. Tayla got hers st 4 months when we adopted her. No issues at all and side awake. She is our 3rd micro chipped dog. First two were 23 years ago.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Rest assured it's absolutely nothing to worry about. Woody was chipped the first day I meant him at the rescue...he didn't even flinch. And he's a runner so I was more than happy to have it done.

I have heard some chips will at times migrate so every vet visit I have it checked...so far no problems.

Pete & Woody

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
All of the 10 Goldens I have owned have been microchipped...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Administrator
16,469 Posts
I have had all mine microchipped. Even if there is a slight discomfort when placing the microchip I feel that discomfort is much less than the discomfort they may feel, and I may feel, if they were to ever be permanently lost from me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Awesome, thanks everyone for the reassurance! Has anyone gotten their pup micro chipped and gotten a vaccine like the rabies vaccine the same day or is that too much?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
We had Maddie chipped at her first vet visit. She also got several shots. It bothered me much more than it did her.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
In Canada, the CKC requires that all puppies are microchipped or tattooed before they leave the breeders premises. All the puppies I have raised have been microchipped between 6 and 7 weeks. They do not even really seem to notice, they are more interested in the peanut butter on the spoon in front of them.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Beamer got chipped at his first visit at 8 weeks, though no vaccines were done at that time. He just had them at his breeder the day prior.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Failing all other opportunities, have them chipped when they are under anesthesia for another reason such as spay/neuter surgery.

But chips are only one important part of the story. They are helpful when/if your pup ends up at a vet, rescue, or shelter where someone knows to scan for the chip.

If your dog is lost in the neighborhood, a collar tag that says "My name is Fido, please call my Mom at xxx-xxx-xxxx" will get your dog back to you much faster. Such tags have brought my dogs back to me multiple times over the years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts