Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I obviously need to start keeping the dog medicines away from mine. I was taking my nightly meds before going to bed, and one of the pills felt strange in my mouth. I spit it out to see what it was, and it was Conner's thyroid medicine.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Yikes. Glad you spit it out. I don't take any medicines but the only percriptions in my medicine cabinet are my dogs so I guess I need to be careful. :p:

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
oh my god.. good thing you noticed.. lol Thats funny because I keep the dogs stuff in with our stuff too.. I should probably move the dogs steroid cream away from my polysporin! lol

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Something similar like that happend to my hubby with Beau's meds and mine. Except hubby gave Beau my meds. And then when I got up, I noticed Beau's meds in his pill box so I gave them to him. Then I went to take mine and they were gone. Asked hubby if he gave Beau his meds and he said yes, I said no you didnt you gave him my meds. So he got a double dose of thyroid and anti-inflammatory meds. Thank goodness it wasnt something that could have caused some major damage. Beau did have to get some meds from the vet to make sure their wasnt to much anti-inflammatory meds in his system. But he was ok. You think the pink container would have made him think twice. Beau's is in a yellow and blue.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was just organizing my medicine cabinet last night. I did have all the human and doggy medicines in a big box together, but decided to separate them. Glad I did! I could totally see my husband accidentally taking some dog meds!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
This has happened to my dad with Casey's thyroxine, too. He double checked with the doctor- evidently nothing to worry about! Good thing, because I think it has happened more than once in Casey's 9 years or so on a thyroid med.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
They thyroid meds we give our dogs are actually human medications.

ceejay0911 - It should not be a big concern that you gave the meds twice, as long as you don't do it again!

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
They thyroid meds we give our dogs are actually human medications.

ceejay0911 - It should not be a big concern that you gave the meds twice, as long as you don't do it again!
Actually, they are not - you cannot (even as a pharmacist) get canine thyroid strengths from a human mfr. They are in mg and humans are micrograms. So dogs' thyroxin is 1000 times stronger than human thyroxin. Never ever fall prey to temptation to substitute if you run out of your meds!

Thyroid is one of the drugs that are not human - you're ok with most of the drugs but not that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts