Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I am lucky enough to be "mom" to three dogs. One golden, Bailey, a golden cross, Gracie and a black and tan coonhound, Jack.
Life with 3 dogs has taught me that their collective intelligence quota is probably greater than my own IQ so I am forever trying to remain one step ahead of my crew.
I thought I had done so yesterday after I received a really important assignment. We have a lake home where DH and I spend half of our time. Shortly before Christmas one of our neighbors there lost his home and two of his dogs in a fire. He is an elderly man of limited means who lost everything. For the time being he has moved a trailer on to the lot and is living in it until the weather becomes warm enough that he can begin the process of rebuilding his home. Yesterday I received a call from my next door neighbor telling me that they would be having a surprise birthday party for the gentleman and asking if I would would be willing to make the cake. I was delighted to be assigned what I considered an important job.
While cake making, baking and cooking in general are not my forte I take something such as this VERY seriously. I was asked to make a pineapple upside down cake and, as a result, I went to the store to purchase the ingredients. I got fresh pineapple and all of the necessary items. Only the best ingredients for this cake.
As I begin the process I noticed that Jack and Bailey were taking a keen interest in the process. Being one of those crazy women who talks to her dogs I explained to them what I was doing and who the cake was for. They watched with rapt concentration, no doubt making sure that I made no mistakes in the process of making a 2 layer pineapple upside down cake for 16 people.
For those who know me the fact that the cake pans came out of the oven looking spectacular will come as a shock. Even more of a shock is the fact that I was actually able to line up the 2 cake pans perfectly to make a lovely layer cake. I am not bragging here but I truly must say that this cake would make the bakers on the British bake off show green with envy....well, ok, maybe I exaggerate just a tad. It was nice though. I was very proud.
Having had numerous incidents with Bailey and Jack counter surfing I had learned my lesson well. This cake was going to be safe not matter what. I placed it exactly in the middle of my center island to cool. I moved ALL of the chairs away from the center island. I made sure that there was a baby gate up to keep Jack and Bailey out of the kitchen, and just for good measure, I placed a chair in front of the baby gate so that they could not knock over the baby gate. I was sooooo prepared. You all would have been in awe of me.
Well, as life has a way of happening I became involved in something else for a brief period of time. Not to worry. I had taken precautions. The dogs could NOT get to my beautiful cake. No way. Besides, I was only leaving the kitchen for 30 seconds....
And that is all it took....30 seconds for Jack to jump the baby gate, shove a chair to the center island the reach my 2 layer pineapple upside down cake for 16 people and knock it to the floor for he and his partner in crime, Bailey, to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I returned to the kitchen expecting to find my lovely cake. Instead I found Jack happily burping and licking remnants of my cake off of his paws and Bailey, who was wearing that "Who me, mom?" look of his while licking the remainder of the fallen pineapple off of the floor of the kitchen.
My cake....oh my cake. Of course I could NOT allow my neighbor to go without a birthday cake so I was able to quickly bake another and this time I put the dogs in the BASEMENT while I waited for the cake to cool. Since they lack opposable thumbs they were unable to open the door but this did not prevent them from throwing themselves against the door in their anguish to get to yet another cake.
After the cake had cooled it was placed in the cooler to be taken up to our lake home with us. The dogs were placed in the backseat of the SUV with their harnesses holding them in place. The cake in the back of SUV with Jack turning frequently to look longingly at the cooler. About 10 minutes into our 4 hour drive to the lake home my husband looked at me and said, "Do you smell that? It smells like burning rubber." I did not have the heart to tell him that what he was smelling was actually the result of Jack and Bailey having consumed a birthday cake meant for 16 people. We drove the rest of the way to the lake with the windows open.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh my, you must have some of the most well fed dogs on the forum! I will admit I was hoping for a photo of the guilty parties. Good thing you were able to whip up cake #2 so quickly, and keep a sense of humor as well!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Your story was quite amusing to read, especially your husbands remarks about the burned rubber. Dogs will be dogs and manage feats we don't think are possible to conquer in mere seconds. I'm sure your neighbor will truly enjoy the cake.

Reactions: G-bear

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh Boy Jack, you do love your sweets..I could see the cake and all..?? glad you were able to make another one, untouched!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
It's always "the boys!!!!" lol

It's amazing what they can get into in such a short amount of time!!!!!!!

Well done on quickly whipping up a second cake and securing it so well!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that I have finally figured out that my boys see the center island in my kitchen the way we humans see a buffet. Select what ever appeals to you and take it to your "table" to eat. Lol. The "buffet" is closed at our house now. NOTHING on the center island any longer. And they suffer in silence (mostly) about this new development.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Purely out of curiosity, do you normally prepare their meals on your centre island? That may explain the buffet - my dinner comes from that island, I see more food there, therefore it must be MY food and they forgot to give it to me! Especially if it's peanut butter or fruitables.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Purely out of curiosity, do you normally prepare their meals on your centre island? That may explain the buffet - my dinner comes from that island, I see more food there, therefore it must be MY food and they forgot to give it to me! Especially if it's peanut butter or fruitables.
You are absolutely correct. I do get their food ready on the center island. I am sure you are correct that they assume that if it is there I have simply forgotten to give it to them and they will just help me.out by getting it themselves. They are such helpful dogs;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts