Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the snow last Friday Shanks has only eaten snow or treats, he just turns his nose up at his main food both morning and evening... I have got him to eat by pouring puppy milk over the food which he then eats the wet stuff and leaves the rest...

I dont think he is ill as he is still chewing bones other treats we give him and about 20 square foot of snow over the weekend.. I think he is just acting up playing on the fact that if he dosnt eat his dinner he will get something alot nicer....

Has anyonelse experienced this and any ideas of how to get round it.. I have a different flavour of food on stand by but I dont want to give in but I feel really guilty the poor lad might be hungary..?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
if I understand you correctly, the little guy is acting normally, peeing&pooping normally...?

If yes, pull up all his treats and bones..
offer him his food(no puppy milk) twice daily for 10 minutes then pull the dish up and wait until the next meal..
If he eats great!
If not, his choice...he will when he is hungry :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep everything else is normal, hes peeing and pooping normally, well the snow has thrown him out a little as he finds it hard to find somewhere to go but he does go eventually and its all normal.. Hes running around and playing in the snow like crazy hes been loving it thats why im not overly concerned at the moment...

The only thing that keeps nagging me is Ive lost a glove, and im not sure where.. Im pretty sure it wasnt at home and if it was im sure there would have been traces that he has devoured it as hes a messy eater as he rips stuff apart then eats bits of it, plus there have been no traces in his poo of any such material and that was last Thursday night and that night he was with us all the time im sure we would have notcied...

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
How old is he? Did he always enjoy his food before?
Our Golden has never met a serving of food he didn't bolt as if he's been starved for a week. If he ever walked away from his food I would be seriously worried.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes 13 months on Saturday, hes never been a very quick eater for his food but he devours other food that hes not supposed to have stuff like toast chips and hes still eating stuff like that.. He also has been fussy in the past eating the same thing day after day must get boring.. I hid biscuits in his food this morning he pushed his food out the way and just ate the buscuits...

He loves wet food so if he dosnt eat tomorrow morning I might go out and get a tin of ID or something and feed him that... Also he didnt eat alot Thursday night before I lost the glove and I think im worrying over nothing.. I think hes got a taste for snow and he just keep eating that.. Im really not sure what to think at the moment

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Sounds like he's doing a very good job training you...he might be getting outside help - I'd check his emails!!! ;);):)

Kidding aside (all of our dogs have us trained to a degree - some are just better at it than others) it sounds like he's fine to me. I'd stick to the ten minute rule and see if there isn't a change. I'd definitely have him checked out if he is no longer peeing or pooping otherwise I think if you're patient he'll give in and eat what's in front of him.

Good Luck!!!!

Pete

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a break through...!
I gave in and gave him some of the food we had set aside for Christmas its still only Kibble just a different flavour so I havent given in totally. It went in a matter of minutes and he ate the 2nd helping too... So yes he does have me trained very well..

I feel so much better now he has eaten, even though I have to find him something else to go with is Turkey & Potatoes on Friday...!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I agree with LibertyME - dogs soon learn how to train us to do what they want and it sounds as if Shanks has got you sussed out.

(As a warning though, watch out giving Turkey as it may lead to diarrhoea)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm glad he has now eaten some food, but he really does realise that if he doesn't eat what is put in front of him something 'better' will come along.

I don't agree that he is bored with just one type of food. Dogs don't think about food the same way we do. The only things I add is scraps of vegetables or sometimes a little left-over gravy. Other than that, nothing.

I agree with what others have said that the food should be picked up and discarded after 10 minutes if he does't eat it. Then no food until the next mealtime. For the time being I would not be feeding any treats... at all!! They have little or no nutritional value and can sometimes be given far too frequently. Apart from training, they shouldn't be given really.

Good luck, he is obviously doing a very good job in getting you trained!!

PS, too much eating snow isn't really very good for him, but don't ask me how to stop them... I haven't figured that out myself!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.. Didnt realise that about Turkey though, might have to rethink that one for Friday....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts