Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just at wits end right now with Jaxson.. Is this a common thing with puppies... It seems he is getting SO bad, but only with me... He has puppy class tonight and I cant get him to do anything... he keeps biting and lunging at my face. I feel like I have tried it all...

Any thoughts

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think just about anyone who has raised a golden puppy has had one of those days. When it gets to that point it is a good time for the puppy to have a time out in his crate while you take a power nap on the sofa. Things will come around in time.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess has those moments...it usually boils down to 2 possibilities:
1. She needs to sleep...so off to her crate.
2. She needs real exercise, like running in the garden, playing fetch, soccer with my son, whatever...

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup have no fear. We've all been through it. Puppy class will be good for him. Wear him out!

He usually doesnt even last the hour before he lays down and doesnt care that I just threw a piece of food... Then he really does leave it well... any other time not so much.

He just peed on the carpet in front of me... He was just out for a long walk and peed... should have been empty... He may have been excited that I just found his old bone that was MIA for a few days

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tess has those moments...it usually boils down to 2 possibilities:
1. She needs to sleep...so off to her crate.
2. She needs real exercise, like running in the garden, playing fetch, soccer with my son, whatever...

He shouldnt be tired due to me getting home from work an hour and a half ago and he was in his crate for 6 hours...

Also, he went for a long walk when I got home with me, and with all his bunny hopping he should have burned off his excess energy... plus I practiced his trainning (for what I could get out of him) with lots of treats when we got home

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If I recall correctly, Jaxson is still a very young puppy, right? Puppies go through lots of stages that will drive you nuts. He could be teething, he could be testing you, he could be tired, or bored, or need more exercise.

Definitely try to figure out whatever specifically is going on, but know that as soon as you've got that figured out, something else will crop up. It's the nature of puppies.

There were many times that I had to put Rookie in his crate as a time out for ME because I would get so frustrated with the nipping. If I knew I was going to react in a negative manner out of frustration, I would put Rookie in his crate or when he was older, gate him in the kitchen. Then I'd go in the other room, take a few deep breaths and come back to him when I was a little calmer. Puppies can be the most wonderful thing in the world, but they can also drive you nuts.

Oh, and puppies play a lot. I found that Rookie needed exercise, training, and play time every day. And he really needed all three for him to be content. Walks and training weren't enough for him. He really needed some time to play and interact with me. As a matter of fact, he still does!

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
It will pass. Angie would get so bad sometimes that my wife would just look at me and say "she just doesn't like me". The nipping was the worst, she try and jump up and nip you and with those baby teeth it was painful. Fortunately it didn't happen often. Now she's a really sweet pupper (well, she's over a year old but you know goldens....) and is a pretty good dog. Still working on recall and she occasionally gets into "teenage" mode but now that she can burn off energy with Chance it occurs a lot less.

Just get him a lot of exercise/activity (doesn't have to be physcial all the time, mental activity is important as well).

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the word of encouragement. I know he is still a young puppy and I HATE getting fusterated with him, or with anything for that matter. I try to walk away the best I can.

He is sleeping right now and I am about to get him up for puppy class.

I give him lots of mommy time when I get home before anyone else, and daddy gives him daddy play time when he gets home so I can have a break.... Todays break just didnt come fast enough. :doh:

His bone (nylone soft chicken bone) that I found after a week is now in pieces, so he maybe teething, but he is only 3months, but I have his frezzy bone in the frezzer and some carrots in there too..

Anyone know how much carrot he can have in a day... he like to chew on the large ones like a bone, but I dont know if thats too much so I take it away when he is half finshed.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Ah, what I wouldn't give to have a few more of those puppy moments back again, trying as they may be, with my 12 year old and 13 year old goldens instead of the arthritis, health problems, and facing the inevitable as being right around the corner.
The time goes by so fast. In no time he will be a grown up dog and you will hardly remember the problems you had when he was a baby.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Try to laugh off puppy frustration. As the previous posters have said, you will soon enough be looking at a sugared old face and a senior who can't move too well. It passes in the blink of an eye. Your puppy will outgrow this particular frustrating phase in a couple of weeks, and then a new frustrating phase will begin:) In a year or two, you won't even be able to remember this time period.

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaxson was amazing in class tonight... was very tired 3/4 the way threw...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts