Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..to me this past Friday evening. :(

I was headed to church, down one of the major streets of Glendale. You know how it is...you're just driving, kind of unwinding, letting you mind wonder. My headlights shone on a yellow lab on the side walk just as he was turning to charge into traffic! I knew I was going to hit him so I just closed my eyes and slammed on the the brakes! I felt a small impact and heard the yelp. Thankfully, I didn't kill him. Traffic was at a complete standstill! I turned my hazard lights on and pulled off the side of the road to see where the dog would go. I called the police..they came and called animal control. They took my number so that I could be notified as to the outcome. The dogs right hip and back leg was broken but they said he'd make a full recovery. The dog had a tag and the owner was contacted.
Because I have 2 wonderful dogs, it shook me up pretty bad. I came home and just loved on Brandi and Pumba and was SO thankful they were alive and well. :(

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Wow, what a horrible thing to happen. I'd be shaken, too. I'm glad that the dog will be able to recover. I've only hit one living thing, a deer. I felt terribly guilty that I killed it. The dog was loose, there was nothing more you could do. Was he lost?

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
What a horrible experience that must have been! I'm glad you weren't injured, and that the dog will be OK eventually. I have to wonder why the poor dog was running around unattended. Things could have been so much worse. Thank you for stopping to help that poor boy. I hope his owners learned a lesson from this.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
That is so awful! For the poor lab and for you! I fell apart when I hit a squirrel, I can't imagine if a dog ran out in front of me! (Not that squirrels aren't important! : ) But dogs are much more important to me. )

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so sorry that happened to you, but glad to hear the dog is going to be alright. I wonder if the dog got loose, or if they allow it to be loose and run. I have only hit and killed a rabbit....and know how badly I felt over that, then on vacation one year, my Hubby was driving over the Pass and we hit a deer, killing it. Even if it isn't your fault, it still makes you feel sad if you are an animal lover.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sounds like a very traumatic experience. I'm glad you did the right thing and made sure the dog was safe. Far to many people would have just driven on. I'm glad to hear the dog will be making a complete recovery.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I know how traumatized you were. That has happened to me and it scared me to death and i cried for hours. Thank goodness the dog is going to be ok and hopefully the people wont let him get loose again and it was a one time escape.
I had a neighbor tell me one time when his dog got loose and was running around, that it would teach her a lesson if she got hit. :eek: :mad: ***. (excuse my french). It was a little dog and luckily she was caught and back home.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently, the dog had dug under the gate until he could squeeze thru. He'd been loose for over 24hrs.
Of course, it didn't help that the officer that responded kept telling me that "it's ok, it's just a dog." :doh:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Thank goodness you could 'see' what was going to happen and slowed down.

If you get to talk to the people, tell them to put an invisible fence around the inside of their physical fence. That will keep him from digging out again.

They're lucky they got a second chance!

·
2,472 Posts
oh my, you poor thing. Poor doggie, too - but thankfully he'll recover.

The first day of driving my first-ever car, I ran over a squirrel. I sat there and cried. Almost made me bring the car back to the dealer..

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
OH MY Im so sorry you had to go through that...and that poor dog..at least he will be ok.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
So sorry that you had to go through this. (((((Hugs))))) Someone was watching out for that lab - hopefully he'll stay home from now on!

The insensitive comment by the police officer was uncalled for! Sometimes I just don't get it! Years ago, we hit a small breed dog & it ran off into the bush. I took off into the bush looking for the injured dog & then hubby went to the home where we'd seen the dog. I couldn't find the dog & the owners comment was "If he's alive, he'll come home!" I felt sick even though it wasn't my furkid but, unfortunately, he wasn't anyone's furkid:(:(

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Sorry you ran into the dog, but I am glad you were not hurt. Too many times people try to swerve to avoid hitting the dog, and end up hitting another vehicle, tree, etc and severely injuring or killing themselves or others. I am sure you feel bad about the dog, but look at it this way, you made the only safe decision you could make, and you are both going home to your families.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts