Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am moving out on my own here in a week to start a new job after graduating college. I had a dog my whole life (Roxie) that lived to be 17 and she passed away last January :( . We rescued her (much before I knew what that meant) from an abusive owner, and gave her the home she deserved!

Anyhow, I am looking to get into the dog business at some point after establishing myself. I have a convenient job, in that after 3-6 months of working I am allowed to telecommute 4 days a week.. which would give me the ability to spend lots of time with the dog for training and exercise.

I will be living in a decent sized apartment that has lots of grounds around it and a forest preserve very close (Busse Woods for anyone who lives in the Schaumburg region). Also it is decently close to a few dog parks in the region.

The caveat is, despite the grounds and great flexibility outdoors, indoors even with a middle sized apartment, is a bit smaller than ideal for a larger breed.

The issue is, I am not interested in owning a smaller dog, and I love both labs and goldens.

So to the point. Being that this is a very new thing for me, its very important for me to have some more seasoned advice from individuals such as yourselves!

If I were to get a lab or a golden (sort of leaning toward golden), what are ways that I could increase the probability of getting a pup that would grow to be in the smaller size range of the breed? I have no problem having a dog thats 50-65lbs, but much above that gets a bit more complicated.

I want to be fair to the dog, just as I want it to be convenient for me.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to responses!

Steven

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I will second that - any Golden that gets enough exercise will be perfectly happy in any space, as long as his/her people are nearby. I got my puppy when I lived in an apartment. As long as you are dedicated to daily exercise, multiple times a day, rain or snow or sleet, you'll be fine. My pup was HIGH energy - but she was pretty much a couch potato in the house because we lived by the mantra that a tired dog is a happy dog. :)

Now, if you DO specifically want a smaller Golden, you can do lots of research on breeders, and go with someone who maybe has dogs on the smaller end of standard range. Though, funnily enough, my dog's mother was about 60 pounds and her father was HUGE - like a lion really - and my girl is a little petite thing, just 55 pounds. But honestly, a big male would probably be fine in your home - if he has lots of exercise.

Good luck!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Steven

Steven

I think it is REALLY WONDERFUL you want a dog.
Firstly, you will have to be sure that your apartment ALLOWS you to have a dog and specifically the size of a Golden. I know some won't let you have a dog at all, and some have a weight limit of under 25 lbs.
Dogs are wonderful to have but they are a huge commitment. You have to be willing to walk the dog first thing in the morning, at lunch and at dinner time and before bed. Personally, I would recommend that you offer to foster for a Golden Ret. Rescue or a shelter or Humane Society near you and try it first.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! You'll get tons of good advice. I'll simply recommend that you look at the parents and figure your pup will be similar in size to the parent of the same gender. Breeders can also give you advice about that.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
not exactly anwering your questions, but: we always had labs, now a lab & golden. I could easily imagine living in city/apartment with my golden, not so with my lab. My labs have seemed to have a need for a larger space to do their zoomies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the quick replies!

My apartment has a weight limit of 60 lbs, HOWEVER it is not actually enforced. what I was told is, its moreso they are not wanting dogs that are substantially larger, like >100 lbs.

By all means I am willing to commit as much time/effort/money required to her, growing up with one allowed me to see the requirements.

I never thought about the idea of volunteering at a shelter, we'll have to see how that'd work as there is a pet deposit/one time pet fee. I'm not sure if I had a dog for a few months and ended up getting a different one some day if that'd cost me each time.

I appreciate all the replys thus far!

·
Kristy
9,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on starting a new chapter in your life! I had my first dog in college, and occasionally had to have some help from my parents with making it work out, they kept him when I lived in my sorority house. I was able to manage myself after graduation.

I will admit that the major drawback was that if co-workers invited me out after work, it was my first responsibiliity to go home to my dog. I know your job is going to be more accomodating, I just hope you'll give it plenty of time to make sure it turns out to be the job you hope it is, that you won't have to change.

The other issue, size limits with apartments is tough. I always had trouble finding a place that would take my dog. And he was under 50 pounds. (Maybe it's easier now than it was 20 years ago :)) You may find that you will have to or want to move occasionally, even if you stay in the same city. I'm sure you've thought of all that, I just wanted to second the thought of doing some volunteer time first, give yourself time to develop a routine and be sure your life style is defenitely going to turn out the way you hope to allow you to give your dog a happy life.

Maybe you'd like to have another rescue... My boy, Wesley, was adopted when he was a couple years old, it was nice because I knew he was finished growing. I loved him every bit as much as if he came home to me at 8 weeks old.

Best of luck on your new adventures! :wavey:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I live in an apartment with my 9 month old puppy when I am at school (which is 6-7 months out of the year). He does great with it!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I lived in an apt with my first golden who was six months at the time. No problems. My four girls are 57-62 lbs, the two boys are 64 and 67 lbs. The boys are smaller, the girls are definitely within the show standard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts