Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
I shoot for what my dogs do best on. And according to the dog food analysis sites, my dogs are being fed junk. And I have no intention of changing, either.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I would not base my decision of food based on this site. It is not run by a canine nutritionist and is very biased toward grain free. There are many good foods out there, both with and without grain. It all depends on what your individual dog does best on. Here is a much better site to learn about what to look for. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

BTW, I used to use the dogfood analysis site as a handy reference to dog food and their ingredients, but then I found that many foods were not updated as maufacturers changed recipes. It's off my radar screen now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am one of those that bought into this website and changed my puppy from Eukanuba to Orijen LBP with horrible side effects. On Eukanuba my puppy had firm stools but was going frequently. I decided to try Orijen (6 star food from their website) and my poor puppy suffered horrible gas, and loose, mushy, runny stools. I gave it a full month and a half and it never got better. Needless to say, I have him back on Eukanuba and his stools have firmed up again and the gas is gone.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
My guy is on Orijen fish - 6 stars, i think. He's on the fish formula since I thought he had allergies the first month I had him so we made the change from Iams to Orijen.

He was okay on Iams - coat was fairly shiny, normal poops, ate about 4 cups a day and stayed a good weight. He is THRIVING on the orijen though. His coat is gleaming, he has more energy (we can play fetch for more than 15 mins without him wanting to go lay down) and no more "mental shut-downs" on walks/obedience sessions over 30 mins ago. I only feed him 2 cups of the Orijen and he still gets a little plump if we don't go for an hour walk a day.

It did take a long time to transition him to it. About 6-8 weeks of mixing with the Iams before he could handle just the Orijen. I think the transition is harder for dogs when they go from a by-filler food to a protein rich food and it should take a little more time. My dog can switch now from Orijen to Acana to Go! and he has no dietary upsets at all. Just like I'm sure dogs can switch from Iams to Purina to whatever and they won't have as hard a time as if they'd been switched to a protein rich food.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Penny & Maggie's mom thanks for the other site info too! I only asked the question as the whole dog food thing is such a darn headache to me, I checked the food I'm feeding on there, and it says it's a four star food, but the ingredients look bad to me......:doh:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think as long as you stay away from a food with corn and try to find a food with the first ingrediant being a meal, like chicken meal or lamb meal, you will find a good food.
The dog food analysys website is good for pointing out which companies use natural preservatives. This is a huge factore in deciding what I feed my dog.

Cody has always done better on foods with no grains(stool wise) but we have yet been able to find a food that has gotten rid of his ear infections. we have tried everything from Iams, Wellness, Orijen and Acana to California Natural, and nothing has worked. we are now going to try raw to see what happens.
It really is an individual thing, but I strongly believe that dogs will react over time to a poor diet. Just like humans, they can only eat crap for so long before their bodies just can't tolerate it any longer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Penny & Maggie's mom thanks for the other site info too! I only asked the question as the whole dog food thing is such a darn headache to me, I checked the food I'm feeding on there, and it says it's a four star food, but the ingredients look bad to me......:doh:
What food are you feeding?

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
I first came to this site because I was looking for the right food for my two. I used the other web site to check the ingredients and see how the food was rated. I was hoping to find a 4-5 star food that I could afford. After all that, and finding that nutrition is as volatile subject as politics. With all that said I feed my two Wellness Core Low fat which is a 6 star. I feed it not because it is 6 star but because Buddy and Lady are doing great on it and loosing weight and their coat feels great, and they have energy. I have read where other dogs don't do well on it. The site is a good tool as with the Great Dane Lady but my two are the final judge with in reason.(sorry Ol' Roy)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
There's nothing wrong with corn in moderation, and a lot of those dog food websites promote unsubstantiated myths that allow boutique dog food manufacturers to charge inflated prices.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
what he said.

There's nothing wrong with corn in moderation, and a lot of those dog food websites promote unsubstantiated myths that allow boutique dog food manufacturers to charge inflated prices.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I feed my dogs junk, too. I think the same junk you feed your dogs.
I think they've done pretty well on it, since my older two are 12 and 13 years old.
Whatever works for an individual dog is what you need to feed that dog. Period. No matter what some self-proclaimed expert website says about that food.
And while I'm at it, a lot of people are in very tough economic situations right now. There are a lot of excellent foods out there that have a proven track record of many, many generations of dogs and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Stick with what works for your dog, and what works for your economic situation.

I shoot for what my dogs do best on. And according to the dog food analysis sites, my dogs are being fed junk. And I have no intention of changing, either.

·
16,000 Posts
I wonder how many people know that the #1 dog food bed by professional handlers and breeders used to be KenLBiskit. I can't tell you how many say that if it were still available today that ALL their show dogs /performance dogs would be on it. THE Mother of all parties at Westminster used to be the Quaker awards. Ken-L-Biskit used to be owned by Quaker Oats, and was sold to Heinz in the mid 90's. The marketing of "designer" and "holistic" foods and a bajillion different "flavors" etc etc did it in. I'd feed it again - my dogs did fine on it. I fed it before I fed Iams, and our sled dog teams ate it.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Of course this is just a personal opinion, but I do like the food I feed my dogs to have actually been TESTED on dogs before it hits the market.
It's shocking how many have not been.

·
16,000 Posts
Of course this is just a personal opinion, but I do like the food I feed my dogs to have actually been TESTED on dogs before it hits the market.
It's shocking how many have not been.
Yeah, well, the "I won't feed it to my dogs if I won't eat it myself" credo rules...
I won't eat liver or raw bones, but I'll feed 'em to my dogs.:) I think that is so much of it - people making themselves feel better, whether it is actually beneficial to the dogs or not.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Yeah, well, the "I won't feed it to my dogs if I won't eat it myself" credo rules...
I won't eat liver or raw bones, but I'll feed 'em to my dogs.:) I think that is so much of it - people making themselves feel better, whether it is actually beneficial to the dogs or not.
It all boils down to people possessing the mindset of treating dogs as "little humans in fur coats" rather than as the animals that they really are.
This segment of dog owners can't deal with the thought feeding their dog something that doesn't sound palatable to them. Most would be shocked to learn that given a choice between the carefully selected all natural holistic diet and a road killed armadillo thats been laying in the Texas sun for half a day, their dogs would prefer the armadillo.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I have to laugh here at the pet hotel when people bring their dog bottled water, "holistic human grade" food and treats, and then said dog is out in the yard wolfing down poop as fast as they can find it, eating worms, and lapping up water from any muddy puddle they can find. Amuses me to no end. Um, hello, I'm a DOG.

It all boils down to people possessing the mindset of treating dogs as "little humans in fur coats" rather than as the animals that they really are.
This segment of dog owners can't deal with the thought feeding their dog something that doesn't sound palatable to them. Most would be shocked to learn that given a choice between the carefully selected all natural holistic diet and a road killed armadillo thats been laying in the Texas sun for half a day, their dogs would prefer the armadillo.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
One of the problems is that "holistic," "natural," and "human grade" have no legal meaning on a dog food bag. I'm all for getting a great food for a dog, all for natural ingredients, and all for paying extra for good nutrition, but those claims need to be evaluated very, very carefully.

At the same time, there is some great marketing getting done on boutique dog foods (for lack of a better term) that allows them to charge very high prices for foods that aren't as thoroughly tested as less expensive, excellent foods. I have no confidence that a food with the right number of "named meat ingredients" early in the list is necessarily better than one that has chicken byproduct meal.

I'm very confident in the quality of the food I give, since I've been feeding Goldens one variety of Eukanuba or another since the late eighties, and I have friends who've fed it for even longer.

I also get frustrated when people are made to feel guilty for giving their dogs food with harmless or even healthy ingredients like corn, or for not paying exorbitant prices for better-marketed foods.

·
16,000 Posts

Dogs have a very poor sense of taste, as they have a very small number of taste buds. They determine what is palatable based on smell. And we humans (who only smell a minute part of what our dogs smell) find dead fish, road kill, rotting garbage offensive smell, while our dogs think they are fantastic!
Human idesire to offer our dogs a variety of foods because they get bored is just that - human. As long as it smells good to them, they'll eat it. They aren't saying "Ho hum. I'm so bored with chicken. I want beef. And let's make next month's flavor dujour lamb..."

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I like the one called "Canine Caviar", unbelievably expensive. I think of it when the bumpasses are looking for dead (or live) fish to dine on at the river (for free).

1 - 20 of 94 Posts