Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it is very easy to feel anxious and negative in a time of such uncertainty. We have all been faced with our share of hardships during this truly weird and difficult time. I know that we have! I am an early educator at a private school, and due to the fact that parents can no longer afford to pay tuition, due to the mass layoffs, teachers have also been laid off (myself included). We are awaiting tuition replacement/funding in the meantime to determine if we can keep getting paid while schools are closed...fingers crossed!

On the bright side, Denver has been a constant light in this time of stress. We have spent so much time outdoors enjoying the mountains and the warmer temperatures, which is such a positive influence on my mood. Dogs truly are the best companions and help tremendously during this time. I know Denver is enjoying having me home with him. I am so happy to live in a place where there is so much to do with dogs outdoors. I am also completely grateful that my family is safe and healthy.

What have you all been up to in the past few weeks?? :)

Denver walked over the the college campus with us while we did a workout on the field.

4 mile hike in the green mountains! (had to stop and swim on the way up obviously)

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Here in Quebec, we've been in lockdown for the last week. It's a very weird time. All daycares, schools, colleges and universities are closed, so my kid is home full-time. From next Monday morning onwards, all her classes will be given online. Everyone over 70 years of age, including my husband, has been ordered to stay at home. All public places of entertainment have been closed by government order for the last week too: bars, playgrounds, movie theatres, municipal facilities, museums, etc. Restaurants are allowed to operate at half capacity (one table out of two), but most have closed down except for takeout. All personal services (hairdressers, nail salons, spas, etc.) have been asked to close. All the large chain stores have closed for the duration. Grocery stores and pharmacies are still open, on reduced hours, along with some smaller stores. As from today, we've been asked not to travel between regions, but to stay local, so as not to spread this thing. People are working from home where possible. Our dog training facility has laid off most of its staff, and has cancelled all its classes and events until mid-May. The trails are open for individual walkers (not groups), but because it's the spring thaw, walking conditions are a bit too difficult for my tin knee, so I can't even go there. Maybe in a week or two, when the ice has gone. All agility trials (and all other events, dog-related or not) are cancelled until mid-May at the earliest. So Duster and I are taking on-leash walks in the streets around our home whenever we can, and as soon as the snow has melted I'm going to put our agility equipment out in the garden so we can practise a bit. I go out in the car a couple of times a week to the grocery store and bank, and that is literally all. I'm self-employed and still have work coming in, but am expecting it to dry up in the coming weeks.

But we are healthy. We're keeping ourselves fit and well-fed. Our government seems to be doing a good job at keeping us as safe as possible. I'm looking at creative ways to use my time when the work disappears, as it will. I've contacted all our elderly friends and neighbours and am helping some of them with their grocery shopping and errands, since they can't leave their homes. Duster is doing his thing, entertaining us with his goofy attitude and dragging us out for daily walks. As long as we're here, he's happy. Humans should be more like golden retrievers.

Strange times indeed. May we all come out of them unscathed.

·
Kate
20,869 Posts
He's such a handsome boy<:

I'm recovering from bronchitis... <= Believe it or not, this is cold season. There have been some nasty bugs going through the country in the past month. One of which caused a lot of people to get sick with a cold that went right into at the mildest, bronchitis, or at the worst pneumonia. I was one of the lucky ones in that I was sick with bronchitis for about 3-5 days, during which time I had ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS of Covid 19 - or rather that the Covid 19 has all of the same symptoms people experience when they have bronchitis and pneumonia from regular cold viruses that have been in this country since beginning of time.

Anyway, my thing is recovering from being sick and being very irritated about people getting hysterical about something that 80-90% of the cases people don't even know they are sick. >.< I watched videos from Italy with all those people yodeling in the street? And I'm like - if I try singing anything, it triggers my cough. I don't even talk very much in public because it will trigger my cough. <= That cough based on the last time I had bronchitis will be my little annoying friend for the next 1-2 months.

So when I see people reverting to mindless lemming activities from raiding grocery stores and buying up all the products for themselves (so other people will go hungry).... and then other people actually demanding that their bosses shut down and do massive layoffs because they don't want to work.... huff I get annoyed.

Positive side of things - it is spring! We had a very cold, gray, miserable winter and having sunshine and regular temps in the 40's feels wonderful. We've also had days in the 50's and low 60's which were awesome.

My guys have been getting out and playing outside more. It's been rainy the last couple days, otherwise we would have gone right back out for a second swimming trip this week. Maybe tomorrow or over the weekend. :)

One of my instructors has continued to teach privates - which I'm very grateful for, because training at home alone, things DO slide. Likewise conf classes - though I skipped this week.

My hope is that things will turn around within a couple weeks and we'll see general restrictions go away. Maybe wait a year before removing travel bans? But getting people back to work and play without fear. I don't think people should be afraid. Things will bounce back as soon as the panic goes down.

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Here in Quebec, we've been in lockdown for the last week. It's a very weird time. All daycares, schools, colleges and universities are closed, so my kid is home full-time. From next Monday morning onwards, all her classes will be given online. Everyone over 70 years of age, including my husband, has been ordered to stay at home. All public places of entertainment have been closed by government order for the last week too: bars, playgrounds, movie theatres, municipal facilities, museums, etc. Restaurants are allowed to operate at half capacity (one table out of two), but most have closed down except for takeout. All personal services (hairdressers, nail salons, spas, etc.) have been asked to close. All the large chain stores have closed for the duration. Grocery stores and pharmacies are still open, on reduced hours, along with some smaller stores. As from today, we've been asked not to travel between regions, but to stay local, so as not to spread this thing. People are working from home where possible. Our dog training facility has laid off most of its staff, and has cancelled all its classes and events until mid-May. The trails are open for individual walkers (not groups), but because it's the spring thaw, walking conditions are a bit too difficult for my tin knee, so I can't even go there. Maybe in a week or two, when the ice has gone. All agility trials (and all other events, dog-related or not) are cancelled until mid-May at the earliest. So Duster and I are walking the streets around our home whenever we can, and as soon as the snow has melted I'm going to put our agility equipment out in the garden so we can practise a bit. I go out in the car a couple of times a week to the grocery store and bank, and that is literally all. I'm self-employed and still have work coming in, but am expecting it to dry up in the coming weeks.

But we are healthy. We're keeping ourselves fit and well-fed. Our government seems to be doing a good job at keeping us as safe as possible. I'm looking at creative ways to use my time when the work disappears, as it will. I've contacted all our elderly friends and neighbours and am helping some of them with their grocery shopping and errands, since they can't leave their homes. Duster is doing his thing, entertaining us with his goofy attitude and dragging us out for daily walks. As long as we're here, he's happy. Humans should be more like golden retrievers.

Strange times indeed. May we all come out of them unscathed.
One of my kids attends a private school who spent a week preparing for the closure so he's been attending 7th grade via videoconferencing all week. He has to be logged in when class starts and they attend just like they were in school. They take breaks throughout the day so that the kids aren't online from 8:30-3:30. For anyone whose kid will be learning this way and is around 7th grade age, I'm happy to share my observations of the positives and negatives of this model so feel free to PM me. (My positives and negatives will be different from those an 11th grader might experience and very different from those a 3rd grader might experience. This type of learning has varying degrees of impact, depending on the kid's age.)

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
I know it is very easy to feel anxious and negative in a time of such uncertainty. We have all been faced with our share of hardships during this truly weird and difficult time. I know that we have! I am an early educator at a private school, and due to the fact that parents can no longer afford to pay tuition, due to the mass layoffs, teachers have also been laid off (myself included). We are awaiting tuition replacement/funding in the meantime to determine if we can keep getting paid while schools are closed...fingers crossed!

On the bright side, Denver has been a constant light in this time of stress. We have spent so much time outdoors enjoying the mountains and the warmer temperatures, which is such a positive influence on my mood. Dogs truly are the best companions and help tremendously during this time. I know Denver is enjoying having me home with him. I am so happy to live in a place where there is so much to do with dogs outdoors. I am also completely grateful that my family is safe and healthy.

What have you all been up to in the past few weeks?? :)

View attachment 871086

Denver walked over the the college campus with us while we did a workout on the field.

View attachment 871087

View attachment 871089

4 mile hike in the green mountains! (had to stop and swim on the way up obviously)
Excellent thoughts.

The place where I board my dogs and have them groomed has experienced a drop in business. I noticed the owner, who also trains dogs, has started posting daily training ideas that folks can do with their dog. I thought this was a terrific idea. I'm sure she's not the only one so people should definitely google around to see if they can find stuff like that. It's a great time to get out in the yard and train a new command. It doesn't have to be doom and gloom 24/7.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Denver has become quite the handsome guy. I remember when we met at the dog show. Maria says hi too.

Things are strange in ny and with the new rules it's hard to say how work will be. Maria works for the state so she's ok but I don't know about my job. Like you said, it's great having amber. She's a good girl and I'm glad she is with us.

Here's amber and Denver from the time we met.

Good luck everyone!

20190810_153627-907x820.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Yes, it has been somewhat different around here, but also very much the same. We miss seeing friends and family but are employing FaceTime and Whatsap on a more regular basis, not to mention extended phone chats. I have had more time to work on marketing for a book I've just published and am spending even more time with Oscar (if that is even possible), We still go to town for "city" walks and there are people out and about albeit keeping a respectful distance. Aside from the inexplicable epidemic of toilet paper and anti bacterial gel buying, supermarkets are pretty well stocked. Schools are closed and it is sweet to see dads who are also home playing out on the street with their kids. We are trying to be present with our new life, staying physically and emotionally safe by not catastrophizing the situation (how does that help?), being honest with our friends and family about what we are thinking and feeling, setting short term goals that keep us productive, letting go and moving on from toxic communications on line and in the media, and caring for self and others (as best we can without impacting on caring for self).

Thanks for starting this positive thread!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Awww thanks for your post. It gives me hope that we can all continue on and keep going. I usually care for my grandkids during non school days and during the summer. Well they are off now most likely until the Fall. So my Rainey and little Beagle Autumn have been helping keep things normal and calm for them during this very uncertain time. Hang in there everyone. We will make it with our trusty dogs by our side.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
My son saw a Facebook post that said something like: decades ago peoples' lives were disrupted to go fight in a war. You are just being asked to sit on your couch. You can deal with this.
I thought that was a good perspective. I am sorry to see that @ceegee has had to resort to walking the streets ?
I love staying at home and both my husband and I are allowed to work from home so we're all good but I know a lot of people are going to suffer big financial hardship and that concerns me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It’s definitely been a disruption, but I agree with cwag that it could be much worse. My husband is a police lieutenant so we’re grateful that he won’t have to worry about being laid off. I sure feel for everyone who has lost their job or had income slashed. Hopefully the government will be able to help those who need it asap. I’ve been to the grocery store/Costco way too many times this week because we didn’t have any food at the house and every time I went to the store there was no meat. I finally found enough to stay home for about a week. The stores here are still quite bare of a lot of stuff! I’m very thankful to have Aidan around because he always makes me happy. He’s so goofy and cute it’s hard not to smile and get in a better mood. I’m sure that’s true for all you guys as well? We are lucky to have these great pups! I’m hoping the weather gets better so so can get outdoors and do some walks. It’s been raining here for forever, ugh. At least we’re all in this together! ?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
One of my kids attends a private school who spent a week preparing for the closure so he's been attending 7th grade via videoconferencing all week. He has to be logged in when class starts and they attend just like they were in school. They take breaks throughout the day so that the kids aren't online from 8:30-3:30. For anyone whose kid will be learning this way and is around 7th grade age, I'm happy to share my observations of the positives and negatives of this model so feel free to PM me. (My positives and negatives will be different from those an 11th grader might experience and very different from those a 3rd grader might experience. This type of learning has varying degrees of impact, depending on the kid's age.)
Thank you! My daughter is 18 and in college, so her situation is a bit different. She's actually helping to set up the videoconferencing system that will be used in one of her classes for groups to make oral presentations. I think her age group will be fine with distance learning, provided they apply themselves. They already do all their group projects via Facetime and Skype, so it's not much of a stretch for them.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
(...)
I'm recovering from bronchitis... <= Believe it or not, this is cold season. There have been some nasty bugs going through the country in the past month. One of which caused a lot of people to get sick with a cold that went right into at the mildest, bronchitis, or at the worst pneumonia. I was one of the lucky ones in that I was sick with bronchitis for about 3-5 days, during which time I had ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS of Covid 19 - or rather that Covid 19 virus all of the same symptoms people experience when they have bronchitis and pneumonia from regular cold viruses that have been in this country since beginning of time.
(...)
I originally decided not to respond to this comment at all, then thought I might respond privately, but in the end I’ve decided to respond here. On a public forum like this, dedicated to a particular subject, we get glimpses into one particular aspect of people’s lives – in this case, their ownership of golden retrievers. But this is like the tip of an iceberg. We’re all a lot more complex than that. We all have many other layers to our lives that the forum never hears about; they are irrelevant here because this is a forum about dogs. Mostly things go well on the forum. Occasionally they don’t, and this is one of those occasions for me.

In all my years of membership on this forum, this is the first time I’ve felt personally offended by a comment made by another member, and I’m writing to ask if we can all please refrain from using xenophobic/racist terms in our posts in future. I’m referring specifically to the "inappropriate" term for COVID-19 used in Megora’s post.

Most of you don’t know this, but I adopted my wonderful, funny, bright and sensitive daughter from China nearly 20 years ago. She’s growing into an amazing human being, but it has not always been easy sailing for her. Here in Quebec, we’re lucky enough to live in a highly tolerant, multicultural society that welcomes people of all origins, but as is the case everywhere, there’s a very small handful of less tolerant, less educated people who have occasionally made my daughter’s life more difficult than it should have been, simply because she’s Chinese. I’ll spare you the details – they are horrendous and would make you cry, as they did me when they happened. Whenever these incidents have occurred in the past, I’ve always dealt with them directly and forthrightly, first to show her that I’m on her side no matter what, and second, to give her the tools to deal with them herself, now that she’s embarking on adult life. Hence this post.

This is a difficult time for everyone, and for some more than others. It’s not the time to push people’s buttons by using racist or xenophobic vocabulary, especially in a forum such as this, where we should be able to come and relax and talk about our dogs without fear of running up against the nasty and unpleasant stuff we sometimes have to deal with in the other segments of our lives. I am not saying that the term was used in Megora’s post with the express intention of offending. I am simply saying that the term itself is offensive to many of us, and it should not take a Ph.D. in communications to realize that.

Please, guys, be respectful.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
But anyway, I wish we could all push that away and do our best to recognize the good things we have. Let's focus on happy things. And stop finding reasons to be angry with each other. Please.

Katie
I fully agree with you on the need to be positive. I've said my piece, and it's time to move on now.

I wish you strength to deal with all the stuff going on in your life, in such uncertain times.

·
Registered
364 Posts
We had an unexpected visitor this morning in the shape of a young neighbor boy with two young puppies that got away from him. They were very cute. We lent the boy two leashes which he brought back soon after. With all the craziness going on this little episode brought a smile to Maria's face. We also went to senior shopping hour at one of our local supermarkets. We got there just after 6 am which wasn't easy for me on a Saturday after working all week but we got almost everything we wanted. Maria is working from home and my job is on the essential list so I'm ok for now. It's been eerie having no traffic going in. My mom's senior facility is only allowing employees and caregivers right now so who knows when we will see her. She's almost 100 and has two aides splitting 12 hours every day with her so at least she has company. Someone in her place was tested but it cam back negative but they are taking no chances.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The last year has included me finding out my sweet Luke was sick the day after Easter 2019, going through his illness with him, and letting him go. Then life moved on to this coronavirus. So much stress, tragedy, and sadness. On a positive note, we are blessed with our two adult children, three grandchildren, our dog, Abby, our new puppy, Logan (stealing my heart big time already), and a mountain home we are almost done remodeling.

Honestly, I loved Luke so much I could just erase 2019 except for when he felt good. It was definitely not a good year to me. Now there's so much stress related to this coronavirus. The news out of Italy breaks my heart. It's going to get much worse here before things get better unless a miracle happens. My prayers go out to all in its path.

What have I been up to? Spending most of my days playing with Abby and Logan and training Logan. He's soooo smart and sweet. I play with him, teach him, and love having him around in general. The more his personality develops, the more I love him. I miss my grandchildren. We are doing visits -- they drive by not their bikes & scooters -- with space between us for social distancing. They also FaceTime me. They only live two blocks away and are doing virtual school. They're full of life and laughter.

My hopes are for this not to be as bad as they are predicting, for our house to be done May 1st as predicted, and to spend the summer in the North Carolina mountains with my husband, sweet dogs, and often visiting children and grandchildren.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts