Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't contain my excitement. We are leaving in about an hour to go pick up our sweet new golden girl. It is about a two hour trip. These are the things I have packed to bring..am I missing anything??

Fuzzy towel
stuffed toy
chew toy
collar
pee pee pads for the street in case we have to stop to do pee pee on the way home
paper towels to clean up vomit, just in case
oodles of hugs and kisses:smooch:

I will be sure to update and post lots of pics when we settle in.

Carol

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes, camera!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! I drove 5 hours to pick up my little nugget of love on Dec 3!!!! :D I took a kennel cuz it's safer for the puppy and gives them the comfort of a den... I also had my breeder rub a toy I brought on his mom and litter mates to relieve his anxiety :) Piece of advice: He will be upset and he will probably cry... Your first instinct will be to comfort him like we would a human baby, but puppies are different... If you comfort him you are saying to him "yes, I agree with your behavior" and will be setting yourself up for some looooong nights... Just ignore him while he's crying and when he relaxes give him calm love and he'll learn that when he's calm he gets affection... Dog Psychology is a wonderful thing!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Have fun and take lots of pictures for us to see....Congratulations!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes, I do have the camera packed and a kennel to bring her home in..forgot to mention those things!

I will take lots of pics. I wanted to get some pics of her littemates and momma too to add to her album.

Thanks!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Congratulations and can't wait to see your pictures! Love all the new puppies and owners coming to the forum, can't get enough of puppies.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I took a blanket and threw it in with his littermates, this way he still had the smell on the way home and at home for those first lonely nights away from familiar smells and littermates.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sooooo exciting! If you have a collar, I would add the leash. You might plan to carry him from wherever all the way to the car, but you might then decide he needs a potty break. We also carry a plastic garbage bag to put the dirty clean-up towels in. Otherwise, the dirty towels are smelling up the car.

The other thing I remember is that he slept a lot the first day home. A lot.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Send photos! Bring a plastic bag or two for potential vomit, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts