Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just happened. We have an appointment for 4:30, but has anyone else had this happen.

My son has a habit of taking my jewelry out and stimming on them (he is autistic). I try to keep my door locked, but sometimes he gets in anyway. And now, I have found about 2" of an 18" necklace, which has obviously been chewed up by Murphy. Besides worrying about it damaging his intestines, I believe this particular necklace was not real gold. Now I am wondering if it has lead in it.
Does anyone know what effect this might have on him? Does anyone know what costume jewelry is made of?
And how long before he stops trying to eat everything in sight?
 

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
Joined
·
37,489 Posts
It is always scary when they snatch things up like that. It will most likely pass through easily and will be deposited in your yard in a few days. I have no idea what non gold jewelry is made from but it is probably not lead. Fingers crossed that it passes through without causing problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,496 Posts
Oh my, Murphy!! I hope all goes well at the vet. Most likely it will pass through without any problems. Passing through this chewing stage, well that might take longer! ;)
 

·
shadow friend
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
That would scare me too! My son self stims when he needs to so I'm lucky in that way. He is, however, a typical 8 year old and leaves things on the floor sometimes so we still have our chewed up emergencies. I hope that Murphy pulls through okay!! It's good that isn't not real gold or you'd have to go digging for it, if you catch my meaning. You could have sent it into that gold collecting company through the mail. You know, we'll buy your unwanted gold!! Ha. If it turns out that you think it is real gold - do that. ;) I think that is some gold they actually might not want either!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
I bet all will come out just fine in the end ... yeah I know, cheesy joke heheh. Do they still put lead in costume jewelry these days? Hoping you get good news from the vet.

PS: What is "stim"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
My sister's dog ate her glasses, lenses and all. She passed it and was just fine.

Very good tho that you made an appt. with the vet, better safe than sorry.

Please let us know what you find out. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, the x-ray shows that he chewed the necklace into 4 sections. There were a few small slivers that looked almost like staples. Because he chewed it up, there are sharp points on each end, so we go back on Monday for a follow up x-ray - unless he starts to shows signs of problems (vomiting, pain, ect.) Right now, the vet says he is about 85% sure that he will pass everything with no problems, but given that there are so many pieces, (maybe even some on top of others, hiding more little slivers) he feels that observing the poo will not be enough security.
FYI- this was a 6mm herring bone chain. I am amazed that he was able to break it up like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,492 Posts
I think you are probably better off that it is in 4 pieces. My dogs have passed many toys etc. I am sure he will be fine. One of the members her, her dog ate a glass Christmas ornament with no issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Piper got my watch some time ago. The crystal face was in 4 pieces according to the xray, so theyre out in the backyard somewhere...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top