Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
You ask what can it cost? How about it can cost you your dog's LIFE! Is that a cost you are willing to pay?
Wait till you are ready to breed her to find a mentor? Do it NOW and learn all you can long before you even think about breeding her.
Has the dog been check for genetic problems (clearances)? And I am not talking about your vet saying she is healthy enough to breed, that is NOT good enough.
As an aside...my friend just lost her bitch yesterday in whelp. This was a healthy Swissie - her 3rd litter I believe - she was five. My friend is a vet tech in a reproductive specialty clinic - she's also on the c-section team. Labor began and then an hour later there was the tell-tale green discharge. She rushed her to her clinic - 30 minutes later she was on the table - as they were getting puppies delivered her heart stopped - just stopped - and they weren't able to get her back. Turns out there were two puppies side by side in the birth canal and they think that removing the pressure from the full uterus put her into shock...anyhow my friend lost her CH bitch - lovely lovely dog and four of the ten puppies. She was lucky enough to find a lab that had delivered yesterday as well - a singleton - and she stepped up as a foster mom to the surviving puppies. She is an experienced, educated vet tech...and she was powerless to save her girl...

Every time I hear someone talk about breeding for just one puppy I cringe and think of that kind of scenerio...Can you stomach the heartbreak?

Erica

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's a really important question I've been wondering about. Why do some people say it is so much better to get a female spayed before her first heat? I hope it's just as good to get her spayed later because she is already 5 1/2 months old and I am still not sure what I want to do.

I have never in my life seen a dog so submissive and willing to do whatever you want her to do. ...she's so happy go lucky. Also, I would love to have 1 or 2 of her children. ...but I DO NOT look forward to the hassle of an unspayed dog though.

Why would it be bad to wait until she is 5 or 6 years old to breed her? I thought it took a few minutes for dogs to conceive? ...I guess it doesn't, huh?

golden&hovawart, do you mind telling me why it would be easier on her please?

FlyingQuizini, I want you to know that I understand what you're saying. You all are making me go back to how I felt when I first got her - to spay her. I just hope I have a little time to decide...and not like 2 weeks. They go into their first heat around 6 months old, right?

I totally understand why everyone is saying what they're saying but I think you're being just a little bit hard on me. My dog is only 5 1/2 months old. A few weeks ago I was ready to call the vet and schedule a spay appointment. I am trying to make a good decision here. I'm not going to go breed my dog tomorrow. I'm trying to get information so please stop freaking out. please. I think I am doing the right thing by asking people in almost 10 forums what happens, how it happens, and what they think. I'm trying to get educated so I can make the best decision. I understand your concern. Thank you all for loving dogs as much as you do. :)

I didn't know it was so risky for a girl dog to have puppies. When someone asked would I be willing to lose my dog for it - well, I would have to say no. I didn't think it was a regular thing for a girl dog to lose her life during pregnancy. I don't want to breed my dog within the next few years and someone said it might be risky to do it at age 5 or 6 so it seems like I might not be able to do it anyways.

I am so sorry to hear that she lost her dog. That is horrific. I really didn't think about losing my dog in pregnancy. You all have given me a lot to think about. Thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
My trainer Liz is just getting half her entry fee back for an agility meet this weekend, because her Aussie Peeper is in heat. There's not even a question of bring Peeper any where Near Happy Tails center in her condition. It's just for the safety of other people's dogs as well as Peeper's.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I will try to address some of your questions here.
As for when to spay here are two excellent articles with different views. Which is correct? I honestly do not w for sure as the "experts" seem to differ on this subject. So you need to read them and then make up your mind which make more sense in your situation.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

As for the oldest safest age for breeding for the first time this is what I have understood to be some of the reasons.
Different bitches have different season cycles. I have known some that cycle every 4-5 months while others cycle every 15-18 months. Everytime a bitch cycles her reproduction system ages thus the more she cycles the older the system. And with each cycle the system becomes less elastic, losing its ability to stretch thus making it more difficult (dangerous) for the growth of the pups while in the womb and then the actual process of whelping. If a bitch cycles every 4-8 months I would not breed her the first time after 4-5 years of age. If she was to cycle every 9-15 months I would not breed her the first time after 5-6 years. Think of it in human terms, would you recommend to some one to have their first child at 40 years of age? Of course not. Hope this sheds a little more light.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
AngelLeah, if you are not a troll just trying to get folks on this forum riled up (and honestly, it sounds like you are), please do not even think about breeding your dog. Make an appointment TODAY to get her spayed. Then go to your local golden retriever rescue, even if you do it online, and see how many dogs needing homes are out there. Some of them even had knowledgeable breeders as original owners, and you aren't knowledgeable enough to even think about breeding your pup.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I understand why you want a puppy from your beloved dog; I feel that way about my Jamie. However, even ignoring the fact he is on a spay and neuter contract, I realized a good breeder would not breed her bitch to Jamie because even if I got the medical clearances he won't have the titles to show that he is a good example of the breed. Of course I know he is the most perfect dog ever.....

What I plan to do when the time comes to get another puppy is get a puppy from the same lines as his mom or from a litter sired by Jamie's dad. Of which there are many; that dog really gets around!

As far as how common it is for the mom to need a C-section or to die in childbirth, maybe breeders need to look at not breeding the offspring of those moms because obviously that is a trait that would be strongly selected against in the wild and perpetuating it clearly weakens the breed.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
As for the oldest safest age for breeding for the first time this is what I have understood to be some of the reasons.
Different bitches have different season cycles. I have known some that cycle every 4-5 months while others cycle every 15-18 months. Everytime a bich cycles her reproduction system ages thus the more she cycles the older the system. And with each cycle the system becomes less elastic, losing its ability to stretch thus making it more difficult (dangerous) for the growth of the pups while in the womb and then tha actually pprocess of whelping. If a bitch cycles every 4-8 months I would not breed her the first time after 4-5 years of age. If she ws to cycle every 9-15 months I would not breed her the first time after 5-6 years. Think of it in heuman terms, would you recommend to sme one to have their first child at 40 years of age? Of course not. Hope this sheds a little more light.
Thank you! I had actually been trying to find out more information about this myself!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
The only time we were at the dog park when there was a female in heat, the owner got extremely annoyed with me because Max was humping her. Max is neutered, but the owner told me quite rudely that he didn't want any puppies off him. (Max was much cuter than the female, who was some mixed breed hussy from the wrong side of the tracks anyway). I told him that there was no worry, but that he REALLY shouldn't have the female there. He was a jerk. I took Max home.

Please listen to the wiser heads here and don't take her out while she's in heat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I appreciate all your advice and I've kinda gotten my feelings hurt by what a couple people have said in the forums I have posted. I am trying to learn things and am being treated like an idiot or a menace. I just want to say I'm conviced I want to spay my baby now after all your advice. I'm sorry I got everyone upset becuase of my ignorance. Now I just have to "have it out" with my husband. ha ha. Cross your fingers for me or pray for me or something please.
Leah

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Alot of people consider breeding their dog eventually and don't realize what all doing it right requires. When we first got Peanut we thought "hmm maybe some day we'll let him" but I learned more and personally dealt with a very unhealthy pregnant female golden we adopted and it is soooo hard. I still to this day wonder about one puppy I have no way to keep track of. Every time I see a post on craigslist of a golden boy around that age being rehomed I have to wonder :( . I think I would feel even worse if I was the one who personally put her through that. After her spay she started getting healthy and is now an awesome girl. I'm very glad you asked your questions and please don't feel stupid or bothersome. Answering questions is what this forum is supposed to do. I'm also very glad your so happy with your sweet girl :)

·
Steelers and Pens Fanatic
744 Posts
Angeleah--Sounds like you might have already made your decisition but just to add (might help you to feel better about not breeding her), Friends of mine have a chocolate lab who is AWESOME and they said the same thing "she is such a good dog we want another just like her" so they decided to do what your thinking of. They went about it pretty responsibly, they went to the breeder they got their dog from and made arrangements to have her bred (the breeder mentored them the whole time). Long story short even with the right help it was VERY costly,(vet bills, raising pups ect...) they lost 3 puppies out of 7(heartbreaking), and even though all the pups are VERY good dogs, none of them where EXACTLY like mom!! They all have their own special personalities. Hindsight, they said even though they adore their new little ones, they probably wouldn't have done it over. I might add that they ended up keeping 2 pups instead of 1 because one of the prospective owners backed out at the last minute(when pups where ready to go home) and they were too attached to find another home for him so they kept him. Moral of the story is you might get more than you bargined for and also not get exactly what your looking for in the first place:).

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
^This is very sound advice.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Having an intact girl is a pain - she gets moody, cranky and then there's the month or so we can't go do much because she's in season and she drives me nuts because she's bored. Twice a year. I'm not the breeder, her breeder will take her back for a litter or two down the road after she's gotten her clearances and so on done. I am quite happy to 'order' a puppy and bring it to the house ready to housebreak and bond with me at 8 weeks. That's the really fun part anyway, the nursing mom and litter is a ton of work.

My two goldens are slightly related and similar in some ways, different in others, but for sure very different than their moms and even siblings, so it's not like you'd get the 'same' thing again just because it was an offspring. If you got her from a good breeder, when the time comes let them know what you love about your girl and they should be able to find a pup that's perfect for you. Or even go through rescue so you can meet the older dog...

Lana

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just a thought. You would like a puppy "like her" and the assumption is that by breeding her you can get another puppy "just like her". But that may not be the case. Look at people for example. Do you know two outgoing parents who have a shy reserved child or the other way around. Simply having her DNA won't make them just like her. You would have a greater chance with a dog with her DNA. A breeding from her father and mother. Her DNA and a studs are less likely to produce the exact temperment. This is of course aside from genetic inheriated condtions. If she is dysplastic than she can pass that on to her offspring. So you get a puppy with the temperment you like but requires expensive sugery and may live in some degree of pain for its life.

Somthing else to consider beyond preventing a unwanted pregnancy(are you prepared to have a mix breed litter? if you have an accidential breeding there in a good chance it won't be a golden doing the deed.) is the potential health risks of an unspayed female. Do some reading on false pregnancy, pyometry and depending on the source incresed risk of reproductive cancers.

Best of luck to you. I hope you feel welcome to keep asking questions here. Realize that dog breeding is a very HOT topic on almost every board and you will get some strong responses. Other than the dog food and training debates. Dog breeding is deffintly the hottest so hang in there you will get some great advice but you will get some strong responses too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts