Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and really enjoying my time here so far. You are all wonderful!

We have only ever owned one Golden, our beloved boy Bart. He sadly passed on July 14th 2013, but we feel so fortunate to have had him with us for so long. I am currently 18, and I wasn't even born when Bart joined the family. He was 18 years, nine months old when he passed away in his sleep. He remained in excellent health until just a couple of days before he passed. I understand that this is an amazing age for a Golden to reach, but have any of you owned a Golden that reached an even greater age?

Kind regards, and hugs to all your wonderful furbabies!

- Hannah

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had four goldens. My current one is 14 months old, my Aspen was only 10 1/2 years old, Sunny was 15 and ABC made it to 14 years old. My Aspen had five different cancers. Our goldens health is very scary. Genes seem to be so important. Sorry to hear about your golden's loss.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What an amazing gift for your family to have had Bart's companionship for so long.

Our first golden lived to be 14 years, 4 months.
Our second was adopted from a rescue - it was estimated she was around 2 when we adopted her, she lived for an additional 13 years, 3 months after we brought her home.
Our third was adopted for a rescue as a senior, age unknown. We had her for another year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our first Golden, Sam 1, was stolen @ 6. Lou was 7 when she died after an operation to remove an infected uterous. Beck died of cancer @ 10. Lee died of old age @ 14 and Jack @ 15. Our current Golden, Sam II, just turned 5.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My first golden Gilda was almost 14. Just a few days shy of her birthday. Our second Golden, hasn't been born yet but the breeding should be happening very very soon!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
1st Golden: 6 yrs old when she passed away from cancer. She was unhealthy from puppyhood on but such a wonderful dog.
2nd Golden: 15 yrs old
3rd Golden: 14.5 yrs old
4th Golden: 9.5 yrs old
5th Golden: almost 5 and still in great health :) fingers crossed
6th Golden: almost 5 months and my fingers are crossed for him too :)

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My oldest golden Joplin was just shy of 16. He was healthy to the end, but almost snow white compared to the true gold he was most of his life. We called him "Bones" affectionately- old bones.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Casey was 13, he stopped eating and the Vet wanted to do countless tests. We chose the kind thing and put him to sleep with his family surrounding him. Kelly was 12 and she had a failing heart. The Vet wanted her to take 9 pills a day. Asked if she had fainted yet. She was panting...struggling to breath. We also chose the kind, thing putting her to sleep with her family around her. Murphy will be 3 on April 20!

·
Registered
18,023 Posts
Hello and welcome from another UK member. 18 is a wonderful age for your golden to reach. Please feel free to share pictures of him, we would all love to see them!.

·
Registered
363 Posts
#1 boy - 5+ years (very difficult and sad to lose him so young - relatively sudden death - cancer)
#2 boy - 14+ years (the "old man" - lived a very full life and probably could have "nursed" him even longer but his quality of life was suffering - euthanized)
#3 boy - 10+ years (was the 'picture of health' and died suddenly - likely cancer - very difficult because there was NO warning)
#4 boy - 10+ years - still with us. showing signs of slowing down and aging (partly due to #5 boy :) )
# 5 boy - still a puppy! Says he is keeping #4 "young" by regular play and harassment

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and really enjoying my time here so far. You are all wonderful!

We have only ever owned one Golden, our beloved boy Bart. He sadly passed on July 14th 2013, but we feel so fortunate to have had him with us for so long. I am currently 18, and I wasn't even born when Bart joined the family. He was 18 years, nine months old when he passed away in his sleep. He remained in excellent health until just a couple of days before he passed. I understand that this is an amazing age for a Golden to reach, but have any of you owned a Golden that reached an even greater age?

Kind regards, and hugs to all your wonderful furbabies!

- Hannah
18 years and 9 months is an AMAZING run for a golden!!! That's the human equivalent of right around 106.

I'm hoping for a similar run from my 7 year, 4 month old Axl.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,315 Posts
18 years, 9 months is really amazing for a golden, you were truly blessed to have Bart all those years.

My Bridge boy who was my first golden lived to be 15.5.
My current girl Roxy will be 11 in December and my boy Remy turned 6 last month.

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
Bella is our first golden.
She just turned 3 this year.

Our first girl (Tippy, a collie-husky cross) was 15 when she passed, & Romeo our husky was 13 years 10 months when we lost him.

At almost 19 years, you truly had a life long friend during your adolescence.

Mike D

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Gallagher-1st golden-12years

Fozzie-2nd golden-9 years

Brinkley-3rd golden-he's almost 2.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
!8yrs 9 months is amazing.

My first girl pasted at 10 approximately, we guessed she was 2 when I rescued her.

Tucker 13yrs 3 months.

Fiona is 12 1/2 and doing very well.

I have known one Golden personally that lived to 16yrs. Another one we know is still zooming around like a pup at 14+

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Both my babies were 10 years when they passed within a month of each other. My current baby is 5 years old and she is doing great and hope for lots of years with her

·
Registered
498 Posts
18 years and 9 months old is AMAZING!!!! I always would tell my golden that she would live to at least 16. She didn't listen. LOL!!! Ginger made it to 10.5 years old.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts