Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Margaret and I live in London with my 2 golden retrievers, Nelson (13) and Bluebell (4). My interest in joining this discussion forum is to hear from, and be able to talk to, other people who have goldies who live beyond their predicted lifespan of 10-12 years, and to understand what contributes to longevity, is it genes, nutrition, or just luck?

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,210 Posts
Welcome to you, Nelson and Bluebell.

I moved your thread into the Main section where your thread will have more views and receive more replies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good morning, and welcome! My dog is a few months shy of 15 years old. We adopted him from a rescue last year. We did a Golden Retriever DNA panel from a university veterinary genetics lab in California and found that he is N/N for all of the genetic problems they test for. So he has good genes, and good parents for sure. He gets good veterinary care, and we try to keep his weight at an appropriate level. If we had adopted him when he was younger we could have done a better job keeping his teeth clean and healthy. At his age, he has some dental issues and the vet does not want to sedate him for a good cleaning. He gets plenty of exercise, and we hope to enjoy his company for a while.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nelson sure is a handsome fella. How about a photo of Bluebell as well?....We love photos. My first golden Rusty lived 14.5 yrs
20210409_063157.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning, and welcome! My dog is a few months shy of 15 years old. We adopted him from a rescue last year. We did a Golden Retriever DNA panel from a university veterinary genetics lab in California and found that he is N/N for all of the genetic problems they test for. So he has good genes, and good parents for sure. He gets good veterinary care, and we try to keep his weight at an appropriate level. If we had adopted him when he was younger we could have done a better job keeping his teeth clean and healthy. At his age, he has some dental issues and the vet does not want to sedate him for a good cleaning. He gets plenty of exercise, and we hope to enjoy his company for a while.
That's lovely! My dog's mother died aged 10 of complications of epilepsy, Nelson suffered various epileptic fits but is now fine. He also had a cancerous tumour removed last year, which was fortunately not of the most aggressive kind. I feed him on something called Butternut Box which is vacuum packed meat or fish minced with some vegetables. I watch his weight and give him appropriate exercise - he loves his walks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts