Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read in many places (including here) that you shouldn't mix a raw diet with a kibble diet. I'm assuming that mean the meals themselves. If I feed a kibble diet, is it okay to give Brady an occasional raw bone as a treat? If so, what kinds of bones do I get from the butcher, and what kinds should I avoid? Thanks!:wave:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PG and Bock. With regards to the marrow bones, do you feed chicken only, or are other animal bones okay too?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Raw marrow bones and knuckles (typically packaged as soup bones in the grocery store) are a great way to help the dog clean their teeth as well as satisfy their chewing needs, regardless of what type of diet the dog is on. :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Thanks PG and Bock. With regards to the marrow bones, do you feed chicken only, or are other animal bones okay too?

They are typically beef bones, actually. Though raw turkey necks are a great "doggie toothbrush" too. :)

Sierra gets the "runs" whenever I have given her raw bones.
I'd go easy to start.
KarenP
That is probably due to too much marrow. It's very rich and can be too much for some dog's tummies. You can always scoop out a little marrow at each end to lessen the amount before giving the bone to your dog.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, that makes sense. So one more question (sorry)...do you let them eat the whole marrow bone at one sitting, or do you limit the amount they have and then put it away for another time?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Okay, that makes sense. So one more question (sorry)...do you let them eat the whole marrow bone at one sitting, or do you limit the amount they have and then put it away for another time?

I find that they will get bored of chewing well before the bone is gone. When they are done, I will pick it up, put it in a baggie and stick it in the freezer. They usually last 2 or 3 chew sessions before they get small enough that choking can become a hazard, or they just get kind of gross and I throw them away.

(the above is specifically about knuckle bones which I tend to give to my dogs more than marrow bones... the marrow bones don't typically get all that much smaller after chewings but they do get kinda stinky and gross after a while so I still end up getting rid of them. also my dogs typically lose interest in marrow bones once all the yummy marrow is out of them and don't like chewing them as much as knuckles)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I give my dogs "Brisket Bones" . They can eat up the whole thing. I got tired of knuckle bones as my backyard started to look like a dinosaur graveyard. I only give them these 2-3 times a week. They love them and get lots of chewing pleasure.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I let them chew to their hearts desire. Usually don't finish them off in one sitting anyway. Just throw it back in the freezer until next time.

Watch it if you have another dog come around because these bones have been known to start fights. High value things.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We bought what was labelled as "Raw Marrow Beef Soup Bones" for Molson & Skoker on the weekend. They sure loved them! Took Skoker about 2 hours to get all the marrow out of his and Molson took the entire day and it still wasn't gone! (Skoker is clearly a pro now at 2½ yrs old)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I give Yogi a marrow bone 3 times a week. It's key when you want to watch a movie or tv show at home, as it keeps him busy for a couple hours.

I tried Knuckle bones but he snaps them in half after twenty minutes. Do you guys just let them eat the actual bone? I've always been worried about blockage.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I also buy the longer marrow bones, At lest 3 inches long & I like them closer to 4-5. Makes it harder to get the marrow out. When they are new I put in the freezer orfridge after chewing a while. After they are "clean" I leave them out & they still like to chew them. Longest lasting toy for the price. My last golden always had marrow bones & we never had to get her teeth cleaned.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Where do you get the longer marrow bones? I've only seen the shorter ones at my grocery store. Is it something you have to ask the butcher for? Also, are these okay for puppies, or is the marrow too rich for their little systems. My girl is 15 weeks old.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Where do you get the longer marrow bones? I've only seen the shorter ones at my grocery store. Is it something you have to ask the butcher for? Also, are these okay for puppies, or is the marrow too rich for their little systems. My girl is 15 weeks old.

Thanks!
I get them from my local meat market. They are sold as "soup bones". For a pup that young I would scoop out most, if not all, the marrow. More than likely you will experience some soft stools of diarrhea the first few times you give it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.