Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloat is one of my worst nightmares, and I am aware that all three of my dogs are somewhat at risk of it.

We were eating dinner, and Jasper is always the polite one and stays out of the room while we are eating. Suddenly he came over and was dancing around in front of me and licking at his nose and looked like he might throw up. So I took him outside, but that wasn't what he wanted or needed. He kept licking his nose and swallowing hard, so I went into the kitchen, cut open a Gas-X and squirted it on his tongue. He was glued to my side and still licking his nose and swallowing hard. So I took him to the water to see if he might have something in his throat. He drank a lot, but was still licking his nose, swallowing hard and leaning against me.

Finally, he settled down and the licking slowed and he stopped gulping. I think maybe he got some pepper on his tongue while licking the kitchen floor while we were eating?

I seriously thought bloat or an allergic reaction and was getting ready to call the E-Vet. He finally got to the point where he wasn't so panicked and went to lie down about 6 feet from me. That's when I knew he was okay.

Phew!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it starts with gagging and vomitting. I have also heard of dogs licking a lot.

I am not usually an over-reactor, but since I walk them a couple of miles every evening before they eat, I really do worry. Even though I have them cool down before I feed them.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I think it starts with gagging and vomitting. I have also heard of dogs licking a lot.

I am not usually an over-reactor, but since I walk them a couple of miles every evening before they eat, I really do worry. Even though I have them cool down before I feed them.

Actually I believe a bloated dog does NOT vomit... it's all gagging, retching, trying really hard to throw up, but nothing comes up. Restlessness is a big indicator... wanting to go outside, eating grass, more trying to throw up. A hunched up appearance.. pale gums.. whining, pacing, licking the air. A bloated hard belly sometimes as well, but not always.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I hate bloat :( I'm glad your Jasper is okay.

Dogs that bloat don't typically throw up. They want to but they can't so it's just the wretching, repeatedly. Their stomach gets rock hard and visibly distended. The dog gets very restless, can't settle, heavy panting, obvious distress. In my experience with Daisy, it was impossible to miss. I knew immediately she was in serious trouble. I suppose it could be different for other dogs but I do believe the hallmark symptoms are repeated wretching and not settling.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After "watching" you and Daisy go through it, I have been even more paranoid about it. He was obviously very upset with what was going on, and I think that's what worried me so much.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Jasper was definitely experiencing something unpleasant. I'm glad our experience is out there and that members here are more aware. I do think that if your dog had bloat though, you would know almost immediately. It wouldn't be something like well let's try this or let's try that or wait 15 minutes and see. When it happened to Daisy, I was on the phone with the vet within probably 2 minutes and on my way out the door with her the next.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bloat

Our Samoyed Gizmo, who is at the Rainbow Bridge, had bloat.

He was trying to vomit and poop at same time and nothing was coming out.
We were on a walk and he was very weak. I looked at his gums and they weren't pink and when I pressed on them the pink didn't return.

He looked like he was in a daze. We called the emergency vet and from the symptoms they said to bring him right in they suspected bloat.

They had to do emergency surgery on him and we opted for the one where they stitch the stomach so it can't bloat again.
Bloat in DogsBloat is the second leading killer of dogs, after cancer. Symptoms, breeds at risk, causes, and things to do to prevent bloat are described.
www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm - 77k - Cached - Similar pages
Recognizing Symptoms of Bloat in Dogs | Expert Village Videos

1 min 51 sec - Feb 1, 2008
Recognizing Symptoms of Bloat in Dogs. Learn the symptoms of bloat in dogs in this free video. Free video clips on ExpertVillage.com.
www.expertvillage.com/video/23415_dog-first-aid-bloat.htm
Canine Bloat, Canine GDV, Gastric Dilation in dogs, Sevi KayWhat are some of the bloat symptoms: Common symptoms of bloat are: major anxiety; abdominal swelling after meals; gagging; whining; heavy salivating; pacing ...
www.cybercanine.com/bloat.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar pages
Bloat - know the symptoms!Symptoms: If you even suspect your basset may be bloating - get to an emergency vet immediately. • Attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful); may occur every ...

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I am so glad Jasper is OK! The Gas-X was an incredibly excellent move!

When Abby got bloat she was coughing and extremely anxious. I thought she had something stuck in her throat. We were at the vet's within 20 minutes, even though I didn't know it was bloat, I knew it was something bad.

Rest easy good dog mom!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As embarrassing as it is to admit, I keep the Gas-X on hand for me. LOL. I get chest (gas) cramps occasionally, so I always have it here. One of the breeders, maybe PG, mentioned squirting it on the tongue if you suspected bloat. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything even if it wasn't bloat. He sure didn't seem to mind it!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
How frightening! I am so glad all was well. I wonder what happened.. Pepper, huh? Isn't it sweet they come to us, trusting that we will " fix " things? What a relief when they can settle comfortably. .
We walk very evening before we eat also.. I am very paranoid of bloat.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only wish I knew what had happened. He doesn't usually come in the room while we are eating. Honestly, he is just too polite. He never begs for food and normally will lie in the doorway or just stay in the kitchen licking the floor, just in case we might have dropped something.

He is a super momma's boy so I am not surprised he came to me when he was distressed. Actually, I was very happy he did! It seemed like it lasted forever, but I think it was less than 3-4 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts