Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Okay I'm a bit confused!

24K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  Olympia 
#1 ·
I came across this breeder doing some research, and read the info on the site only because they are up the road from me, so I wanted to check them out. I would not get a puppy from them! I plan on looking into the breeders you all have recommended, and will be going to the governors foot guard armory dog show, and a couple of the Golden specialty shows, where I plan to meet some Golden breeders, and hopefully get some business cards.

That being said, I'm confused by terms such as "NORDIC" golden retriever's, and Full American standard Golden retriever's that the woman refers to on her site!

http://www.emanuelhomesteadgoldens.com/ :no:

#3 ·
She has 17 breeding females and 5 breeding males. Isn't that an awful lot of breeding dogs?

I think I am missing what clearances these dogs have, but she mentions that they all have champions in their bloodlines. Which doesn't say anything about her actual breeding stock.

#4 ·
She has a ton of dogs. Like Steve said that is a new one about Nordic. There is nothing on her site about the clearances of her dogs or their names to verify any information about the clearances. There is only a golden retriever, not nordic, english creme or white. All are golden retrievers and I hate when they use different names to make them seem extra special.

#5 ·
Wow-she has put a lot of work into making up back stories for the non-existent Nordic and American Standard Goldens! More marketing hype is all it is.

Using the Search function on k9data using her last name and then putting the dog's name into OFA, none of her dogs showed up. Searching on Emanuel in OFA didn't turn up anything either.

Lots of marketing hype, not much there when you get behind the hype.

#6 ·
Taken directly from the website (italics mine):

"My kennel has grown to include, 3 breeding sires and 14 breeding dams, all with Champion backgrounds, that I am actively breeding at this time. Due to the increasing interest & attractiveness of the Special 'Gentile' Temperament, White/Cream Coloring & Strong Stature of a type of Retriever, known as a “NORDIC” Golden Retriever, I am selectively developing my own line of Emanuel Homestead Goldens that feature these specific "NORDIC" characteristics & traits. (Refer to Bloodlines & Championships on this web site for more information.) I continue to raise my beautiful sweet 'traditional' "American Standard" Golden Retrievers, with color ranging from Light Gold - Honey Gold & Deep Amber!!!!
My "American Standard" Golden Pups also have solid
bodies with broad heads."

Her Nordic Goldens have non-Jewish or non-Mormon temperaments? What?

#9 ·
Usually I don't post, just a reader, but wanted to let you all know that I did contact this breeder when I was looking for a pup and she is charging 2700 + for her 'Nordic' Goldens. And, numerous times via email I asked about clearances and she never answered the question. I don't know if that means she didn't read my email or if clearances just weren't done. Anyhow, I went with a local CT small breeder (just 3 girls) who works at a Vets office AND performs all needed clearances.

Krissy

#12 ·
This was the first breeder we ever looked up online last winter when my wife finally submitted and said we could get a purebreed golden pup.

the prices were astounding. at the time i thought nordic was normal cause my buddy had just bought an "english creme" in Mass.

even her regular goldents were just under 2g at the time. i had no clue about what clearances were back then and we never went any further with her.

come to find out my wife's good friend bought the "standard" golden from them. from photos on their xmas cards he's a good looking boy but can't say much else about him. even though they live in the same town they never attempted to bring their boy over to play with our pup.

i'll ask when we see them next weekend if their dog's parents had clearences.

i say walk away from this on. there are other great breeders around CT/MASS/RI/NH areas.

#13 ·
I've got to get me one of those "Nordic" goldens!!!
I'd have the only one in town ;)

#14 ·
We were carrying our pup around town in chatham on cape cod over the summer and some of the yatch club set there (pastel wearing sweater around shoulder stuffed shirts) came buy and said "oh we have a nordic golden at home, do you know what that is?" i just said "i belive it's a gimic to sell lighter goldens at higher prices" meanwhile our pup is very light and about 1500 less with full clearences.

#16 ·
I'm al little confused. As far as I can find from AKC and Golden clubs there is only 1 Golden Retriever Dog. They come in a variety of colors and the off-white creamy color has come to be known as English Creams. They are basically english because the color is a fault in the standard in America but allowed in England. So wouldn't a "Nordic" just be a definition of a color and in this country wouldn't that be a fault? So basically she should be selling for less since she is NOT breeding to standard.

And with that number of dogs wouldn't she be considered a "puppy mill" of sorts specializing in off color goldens?

Just a thought....

#21 ·
I personally prefer my American Golden Retriever. :p:

#24 ·
bringing this back up. got a random email from this breeder a week ago. apparently 1 year from the time we first sent her an inquiry. I wrote back asking if the parents had clearences and never got an email back. wonder if we'll get another next march, or if she will take us off the list because I asked a legitamate question.

so shady.

#25 ·
Hi, all. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my wife and I are researching breeders in CT for what will be our first golden. Not surprisingly, this breeder tops all of the search results; she advertises heavily.

From her information packet:

Prices for individual puppies can range from $ 1,200.00 through $ 3,300.00 - depending upon the individual puppy & from which litter the puppy is from. My Full "American Standard" Goldens average pricing is $ 1,500.00 + CT State Sales Tax - My "Half Nordic" Goldens average pricing is $ 2,200.00 + CT State Sales Tax & My Full or 3/4 "Nordic" Goldens average pricing is $ 2,700.00 + CT State Sales Tax.

Anyway, I'm very happy that my wife found this forum thread because I'll admit that, as a golden newbie, I was buying the hype.

Soooo... we're hoping someone from this forum can help steer us in the right direction?

Background: We had a yellow lab, Chloe, that we had to put down last summer at age 11. :-( She was a wonderful dog; I've yet to meet a retriever as affectionate as she was. Anyway, we come from a lab-only family. My mother-in-law works with Labs for Rescue, and she and my father-in-law have 2 rescued labs. My grandparents in-law also have a rescued lab, and everyone in the family has owned labs at one time or another.

Well, my wife and I are planning the break tradition by adopting a golden. Our kids, ages 9, 7, and 5, are thrilled.

What we need help with: finding an honest breeder with a *HEALTHY* line. (We bought our lab from a hobby breeder, and she had terrible lifelong health issues - allergies and colitis - that required daily Temaril-P and monthly antibiotics. She suffered endlessly, and the steroids in the Temaril-P contributed to her ultimate demise. These problems also cost us a small fortune!)

Can anyone recommend a starting point for us? What are "clearances"? How do we vet a potential breeder?

We've no plans to show our new dog. We just want a healthy, happy, family dog.

Thanks!

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.