Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am here because I want to learn more about Goldens other than as a trainer or showing etc..
I hope my question is not out of line- but honestly- I want to know some things and this is top on the list..
Why is there such a high incidence of cancer in the breed?
I tried reading a bunch of stuff but I got confused-
And second- what is the breed club trying to do about it or what do they endorse on how people breed etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not out of line at all! They are both great questions. I, unfortunately, have no answer but would love to hear some theories. I'm not sure if there is an answer to the first question. I would love to hear answers on the second question.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a dear friend that lost her golden out of no where and I know this sounds dumb, but I loved her too. I want to know why the cancer is so much in Goldens. Granted other breeds but lets stay on one breed as to why this occurs.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I hope some of our breeders chime in. I know there are studies being funded, and research being done on several types of cancer in goldens. I don't know the specifics though.....

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Also, if you use the search function on the top tool bar, put in golden cancer research and you'll come up with alot of threads.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But it doesn't say why- why this breed? I mean Borzoi have thyroid and we screen for it in breeding stock, Shepherds- man alot but the club only endorses screening... I mean to my knowledge there is no test for cancer-
Okay- let me put it this way- lets say I was going to look for a Golden puppy- I should be able to know grandparents age and cancer free right? Like you do with Danes- you look for long lived grand, great grand parents etc

·
16,000 Posts
It is not so much higher than in many other breeds, and far less than in some, but will appear to be higher simply because of the popularity of the breed.
Golden owners are actually more inclined to "go the extra mile" as far as diagnosing illnesses, and because the GRCA is so invested in doing the research, there are more Golden owners who actually necropsy dogs in order to definitively diagnose it as a CoD.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay- so if I were looking for a puppy, and wanted to prevent this- I look at 4th generation?

·
16,000 Posts
Okay- so if I were looking for a puppy, and wanted to prevent this- I look at 4th generation?

You cannot "prevent this". The jury is still out as far as whether or not cancers are hereditary, or familial, and if so, the mode of inheritance, as well as the part that environment plays. Some of the best info can be found in articles authored by Rhonda Hovan, a couple of which I have attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You cannot "prevent this". The jury is still out as far as whether or not cancers are hereditary, or familial, and if so, the mode of inheritance, as well as the part that environment plays. Some of the best info can be found in articles authored by Rhonda Hovan, a couple of which I have attached.
Bless you.. So if I have someone come to me in one of my training classes that wants a Golden I should tell them ... Uhhhhhhhhh... ?

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of your friends dog. I also recently lost a Golden to cancer, it is an awful disease...

The GRCA (Golden Retriever Club of America, parent club) supports cancer research in numerous ways, here are a few off the top of my head:

The Zeke Cancer Research Fund
http://www.goldenretrieverfoundation.org/zekefund.html

Through the GRF they have also pledged $500,000 to the Morris Animal Foundation for cancer research.
http://www.curecaninecancer.org/maf_heroes.html

Here is one of the studies that money is sponsoring
D08CA-506: Altered Mutagen Sensitivity as a Predisposition to Cancer in Golden Retrievers
http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/studies/current-studies/

You can find more information on cancer provided by the GRCA here:
http://www.grca.org/pdf/health/cancer.pdf

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BLESSSSSSSSS YOU- THAT IS EXACTLY what I was looking for! ( goes off to print out..)

·
16,000 Posts
Bless you.. So if I have someone come to me in one of my training classes that wants a Golden I should tell them ... Uhhhhhhhhh... ?

??? I am not sure that I understand your questions. If someone want a Golden you should tell them to contact responsible, reputable breeders who subscribe to the GRCA Code of Ethics, and who do all clearances and are proving their dogs in one or more venues. They potential buyer can then discuss the longevity and health of that particular breeder's dogs and dogs used in her breeding program. Referring a client to the GRCA website is also helpful, as can be referring them to this forum where they can find excellent concise information on finding a breeder/puppy that will fit their needs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to know why Priska died.. I want to know why cancer is so much in the breed- I want to know what the breed club is doing about it- and I want to know what to tell one that is looking for a golden in my classes but not one that they might have cancer...
I mean in shepherds you can tell if the dog would have hd as the dogs are tested- but I do not see that dogs ( goldens) can be tested to see if they have a cancer gene anymore than people- so what should they look for?
This is an honest question I promise.. I want to know and confused in the process. I think I have my answer but really- as a professional trainer I have to know these answers ( except for the ones about Priska..)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
In the same way that no one yet has an answer to the cancer question in any breed, no one has an answer for degenerative myelopathy in GSDs. The propensity for that heart-breaking disease doesn't stop most GSD lovers from researching and then purchasing the "safest" dog possible from a reputable breeder from whom they can get all the historical pedigree information. Heck, no one can even accurately diagnose DM except upon necropsy; at least vets can tell you your dog has cancer and give a potential treatment. In some ways, dog ownership is a crap shoot, and if your friend wants a golden, tell them to do their homework on breeders and then go fall in love with a fat little bundle of gold.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cancer is unheard of in Borzoi- why? Why is it so bad in the Golden? Its also in Danes, and Dobermans- why? I mean I could turn this- why thyroid problems in sighthounds.. But I have the answer for that... So I am trying to get the answer here.. I mean I am serious- I want to know.. And maybe there are not any answers, but least send me the direction. Seems like to me on post 12 there are things being done. That seemed to give some answers.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Pointgold,
Very interesting articles,thanks.
BM,
I don't know if we'll,ever,found an answer!.
Obviously,choosing the right breeder who does,all,the health tests and asking about the longivity of the ligns will help!.
On this forum,you see a lot of goldens that live long lives and a lot that died of cancer!.
Priska is my 1st golden and was,generally,healthy(no dysplegia or skin problems,to speak of) but cancer did her in.
I would love another golden but I am scared!.
Priska is the 1st dog that I've owned that died of cancers and I have owned a lot of dogs and a lot of different breeds!.
Also,remember,Priska was an impulse buy,with no research behind while all,my other dogs came from good breeders!.

·
16,000 Posts
I want to know why Priska died.. I want to know why cancer is so much in the breed- I want to know what the breed club is doing about it- and I want to know what to tell one that is looking for a golden in my classes but not one that they might have cancer...
I mean in shepherds you can tell if the dog would have hd as the dogs are tested- but I do not see that dogs ( goldens) can be tested to see if they have a cancer gene anymore than people- so what should they look for?
This is an honest question I promise.. I want to know and confused in the process. I think I have my answer but really- as a professional trainer I have to know these answers ( except for the ones about Priska..)

I have had dogs whose siblings died or cancer at a fairly young age who have themselves live cancer free to 14, 15, 16 years old. Those dogs were bred and did not produce cancer. This would suggest an envirnonmental factor. My Pointer bitch, Ch Stillwithem Adorah Izod JH ** had cancer at a young age, as did several littermates. She lived in the same environment, was cared for and fed the same as those dogs who were cancer free although their siblings were not. There is no definitive answer. Again, refer them to breeders who are doing all clearances, who are reputable and responsible, preferably members of the GRCA who subscribe to the Code of Ethics and are concerned with all health issues, as well as breeding to the standard and producing sound temperaments.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I don't have any scientific answers, but I can tell you what I did when looking for a puppy. First off, I checked pedigrees of potential litters for several generations and looked at health and age of death. If you are not familiar with k9data.com it is an excellent resource, although it does depend on the truth of its users.

Once the puppy is at my home, I do everything I can to raise them in an environment that I feel limits their exposure to anything believed to be cancer-causing. I am very careful about feeding good quality food without artificial preservatives, limited vaccines, no fertilizer in my yard, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts