1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Matt
235 Posts

·
flykelley
675 Posts
Hi Sam
Since I fly, one of my most use app is weather bug, Facebook of course and craigslist, maps is also on my front page of the iPhone. Learn to use the notes app great to put info in there you don't want to forget.

Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
yay. Congrats on the new iPhone!

Evernote
Probably the most used app is Evernote (yes, it's available for the Android too). It is overall the best mind dump software out there that will sync with the cloud and your desktop.

Then there is
  • dropbox
  • qrreader
  • flipboard
  • dayone
  • remote
  • iCatcher!
  • Foursquare
  • Facebook
  • waze
  • starwalk

Just to name a few.

Favorite photoapps ...
  • snapseed
  • Photo FX
  • PhotoMarkr
  • Photogene
  • Camera+
  • Path
  • Instagram

Games
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Words With Friends
  • Angry Birds
  • Cut the Rope
  • Bejeweled2
  • Leog HP

there's plenty more. Hope that helps

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:doh: lol I told you silly, Android marketplace has more free stuff..:p Apple always wants you to pay for stuff...silly Steve Jobs and his closed source ideas..:D

Honestly though I got a few to get you started....;)

Full List - 50 Best iPhone Apps 2011 - TIME

The 35 Best iPhone Apps Of The Year (So Far) | TechCrunch

Top 50 best free iPhone apps 2012 | News | TechRadar

20 best apps of all time | Stuff magazine

Good luck
Actually, all of the ones I had on my Android that I liked, I've found free on the Apple market! lol I was just wondering if there were any other really cool ones that I didn't have access to before that I do now. =) The big deciding factor for me is that my dad has an iPhone, so now I'll be able to do Facetime with my baby sisters that live about an hour away.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
GPS Drive by MotoX - best little auto GPS around but not free.
360 Panoramic - makes unbelievable panoramic pics
Conversions - converts distance, money, etc.....
Nightstand - Great little alarm clock for on the road
Pandora - oh yeah
IFlyPro - gives great real time flight status and Airport terminal layout
Starbucks mobile card - can be scanned at Starbucks
Dropbox
Weather+

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
Camwow is the best app out there! LOL. It never gets old.
Instagram
Words With Friends
Cut the Rope
iBook (if you read..the app is free and they have weekly [i think] books that are free)
Pandora if you don't already use iTunes
Angry Birds..of course.

My personal faves right now.

I clear out all the apps on my phone pretty much weekly and change them with ones I've downloaded previously..I just don't like to have them all on there at once..and with iCloud it is so much simpler now. I don't have to sync my computer and iPhone at all.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
One big advantage to iPhone right now is that texts messages are free to other iPhone users. Everybody has to be running the newest version of the OS (free upgrade, but doesn't work well on 3GS, apparently), but instead of paying $0.10 for texts and $0.25 for SMS messages (group texts, texted photos, etc.), they're "iMessages" now and they're free.

I know that's not an app, but if you have multiple family members with iPhones, it can actually save you a few bucks, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

It's also worth mentioning, since you're going to use Facetime, that you can install Facetime on any Mac or iPad and make video calls between your iPads, iPhones, and Macs.

I agree about the disadvantages of the closed iTunes market, but the messaging and video stuff has been amazing for my family and friends (who are all iPhone/Mac converts at this point). Everybody has babies and little kids, so it's really nice to be able to text pictures to each other on the fly or to "visit" family who are a couple of hours away by Facetiming their iPad or laptop or phone.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Camwow is the best app out there! LOL. It never gets old.
Instagram
Words With Friends
Cut the Rope
iBook (if you read..the app is free and they have weekly [i think] books that are free)
Pandora if you don't already use iTunes
Angry Birds..of course.

My personal faves right now.

I clear out all the apps on my phone pretty much weekly and change them with ones I've downloaded previously..I just don't like to have them all on there at once..and with iCloud it is so much simpler now. I don't have to sync my computer and iPhone at all.
:D Just remember to turn it off and not run to the lavatory when the flight attendant tells you to turn off all electronic devices...:D Never mind, the pilots up front are using ipads for their flight data and maps. :confused:;)

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
:DGasBuddy - gives prices of nearby gas stations
AroundMe - finds various businesses
Flashlight
Shazam - if you are a music lover and can't remember the name of a song
QuickScan - price scanner
Maps
and my all time favorite is Solitaire.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may want an iPad in the future and I'm loving the iPhone, but I can't see myself ever getting a Mac. The specs on the computers just aren't worth the price to me. My Sony that cost me $500 has more memory/hard drive space than the $2000 Macs that I looked at.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Facetime is just what my dad uses...so it'll make it easier on me. Otherwise, the phones were neck in neck.

Sidenote: I do also use Fring (so you can do video chats even when you don't have WiFi), but my dad doesn't use any of those other apps on his phone.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
How is facetime different from Skype or Google Talk? or Tango for that matter?
It isn't really different. The only advantage is how easily it integrates between phone, iPad, and laptop. You can call the person's Apple ID (an e-mail address) or their iPhone phone number from any device. The downside is that it only works over Wifi.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I honestly dont mind paying a buck or two for apps that have been controlled and are safe... I know to many folks whose androids have been turned to paperweights due to viruses in their apps... THAT was one of the major reasons I went for an Iphone I always was to nervous to download android apps...
that having been said I can't remember which were free and which I paid for....

MotionX GPS is great I use it all the time this is hte same one another person mentioned...
Yelp
Google Earth and Google Maps
flashlight
xfinity TV if you have comcast
and I have two stopwatch that I use for dog training I am going to delete the one I don't like - long sits and downs

Flickr
pandora
kindle
facebook
fandango
craftgawker (a great timekiller)
Fastfood (gives calories of Fast food places, I use this alot when traveling)
my fitness pal
all in pedometer

zappos has a great app... really dangerous
etsy
sephora
amazon

cnn
npr
local tv
treehugger news

Pets info is GREAT - I have all of my dogs info in the phone so I have it with me all the time... it always worried me that someone would get lost and I woulnd't have their data so I love this app. I can't remember if it was free or not but it is my favorite for peace of mind

games
snood
scrabble
mahjong
text twist
trivial pursuit
Flight Control is addictive
fruit ninja and pictureka

Bump is great to share things from one phone to the other

and definitely set up
Find IPhone (its free and it works)

I am reading this with interest as its always nice to see what other folks are using...
enjoy your phone...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I honestly dont mind paying a buck or two for apps that have been controlled and are safe... I know to many folks whose androids have been turned to paperweights due to viruses in their apps... THAT was one of the major reasons I went for an Iphone I always was to nervous to download android apps...
that having been said I can't remember which were free and which I paid for....

MotionX GPS is great I use it all the time this is hte same one another person mentioned...
Yelp
Google Earth and Google Maps
flashlight
xfinity TV if you have comcast
and I have two stopwatch that I use for dog training I am going to delete the one I don't like - long sits and downs

Flickr
pandora
kindle
facebook
fandango
craftgawker (a great timekiller)
Fastfood (gives calories of Fast food places, I use this alot when traveling)
my fitness pal
all in pedometer

zappos has a great app... really dangerous
etsy
sephora
amazon

cnn
npr
local tv
treehugger news

Pets info is GREAT - I have all of my dogs info in the phone so I have it with me all the time... it always worried me that someone would get lost and I woulnd't have their data so I love this app. I can't remember if it was free or not but it is my favorite for peace of mind

games
snood
scrabble
mahjong
text twist
trivial pursuit
Flight Control is addictive
fruit ninja and pictureka

Bump is great to share things from one phone to the other

and definitely set up
Find IPhone (its free and it works)

I am reading this with interest as its always nice to see what other folks are using...
enjoy your phone...
Most Android users have anti-virus running in the background at all times. Android Market and Amazon are extremely vigilant about keeping viruses out of the apps. I've got a lot of friends using Androids and haven't heard of a virus issue yet.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Most Android users have anti-virus running in the background at all times. Android Market and Amazon are extremely vigilant about keeping viruses out of the apps. I've got a lot of friends using Androids and haven't heard of a virus issue yet.
I have three friends who ended up with paperweights and twice I have gotten email from viruses on their phones.... so I dont know how common this is... my friends could have just gotten lucky.

I had one of hte first droids... and it worked fine but I honestly prefer the control of the apple... I realize that is an antithesis to some but for me it was piece of mind

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't really use a lot of apps but I love words with friends, hanging with friends and cut the rope. I also have TeleNav GPS. Conan and Jimmy Kimmel both apps where you can watch ciips from their shows and I have another app called *** with Marc Maron (he's a comedian and he does a weekly podcast interviewing other comedians). Hope you love your iphone!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Love the facetime! My parents don't have an iphone but they have a macbook that has facetime and they call me on that now so they can see Harvey(the dog). lol

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Can't remember which I paid for and which were free (I don't pay for many) but some I like are:

I love how with the latest upgrade you turn your phone on and just swipe your finger down and it shows all your latest texts, emails, phone calls, calendar appointments on one page without having to go into each app.

fooducate....scan items at grocery store and it tells you all the nutrition info
grades the product and suggests better choices.

soundhound....hold up to any song and it identifies it for you, think it works
if you sing or hum it too, not sure.

clock......I use for my many different alarms.

reminders...can set to remind you when you leave work (detects you moving out of range) to stop for gas, groceries, etc whatever you want. Or remind you when you arrive somewhere.

Opera mini....search engine for when Safari is slow.

Light...flashlight that uses your camera flash..ultra bright.

Compass, Words with friends (I love that), Evernote, Netflix, Waze (traffic updates) Allrecipes with access to all my daughters recipes, Sam's Club app, free Kindle App from Amazon with tons of books on it, I-tunes with tons of podcasts to listen to, Tune-in radio.

I also love how it syncs with my laptop, computer, ipad and keeps all my notes, addresses and calendar in sync so no matter which device I make a change it updates to all devices.

I love how you can text for free with message and include instant pics right into conversation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts