Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I am a new member who posted in intro's about my new dog, Keila and about what to feed her amongst other things. She has been given, for some time Purina ProPlan Salmon and brown rice.
She is allergic to various things, and now I have the 24 page medical hisotry on her from her old vet and from theanimal dermatologist. Her allergies are mainly fleas, molds and seasonal things but in regard to food the are: catfish ( catfish!?!??! That's what they test for, not salmon?!)
Milk, RICE ( rice rated highest of allergens in her report), lamb and peas.

So, why she is on Purina salmon and brown RICE from owners who clearly tried to do best for her I cannot say, but obviously brown rice, white rice, rice meal, whatever, we can find a food that doesnt have it.
She doesnt show on this report allegens to wheat or any other animal meat.
Anyway, it was a good vet visit, the vet and I went over 40 pages of her faxed history from her prior vet of 5 years and from an animal dermatology clinic, cant read much of it of course, the way dr's write is CRAZY! but I did get a lot of info on her past.
Those of you with specific knowledgeable on foods that might be the right choice please give me a holler!
I will be now going back to read the responses to my original posting in intro's to write down all the food suggestions and will hopefully figure it out from there.
I'm wiped out and so is Tequila Mockingbird (AKA KEILA!). 2 hours and $400 bucks and lots of shots, bloodwork, etc.....
It was quite an event!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What about Fromm? They have a great variety. Pork and applesauce? I didn't go looking, so I haven't seen the ingredients, but we have a lot of friends who have great luck with Fromm.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I'm a fan of the Wellness Core foods which is what I have my dog on and is grain free, so you might want to check them out it is available at smaller petfood stores and at some Petco stores. You can also buy it online at Petco and petfooddirect.com (which is where I get it)

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you have a list of foods that she can't have. My first golden was allergic to corn. She licked/chewed her feet constantly and had numerous ear infections. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the problems with corn until after she had passed away. I've learned so much just from belonging to this forum about such things.

My dogs eat Canidae All Life Stages and are doing well on it but I'm thinking about switching to something else because 2 of my dogs eat poop and I wonder if they are lacking something in their diet. Anyway, it's great that you found this forum. Don't forget to post some pictures of your new girl.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is a whole other approach. It is a dehydrated raw food which you reconstitute with tepid water. Most of their formulas are grain free. It's pricey but really healthy. www.thehonestkitchen.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I recommend California Natural-specifically the Herring and Sweet Potato version. There is nothing in this food that you listed your dog is allergic to. It has a minimal amount of ingredients that is specifically made for dogs with allergies.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Scratch the Fromm. They all have cheese - I forgot about that. And a lot of peas. I had no idea how common that was.

Did the vet recommend a hypoallergenic diet? Bogey is currently on Purina HA but I know there are many other prescription formulas too. I've heard a lot of success stories about kangaroo meat, actually. I would talk to them about a prescription hypoallergenic diet. They aren't cheap, but it's better than having a miserable dog with lot of allergy-related vet bills.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We switched to Wellness Core in October, and have not had an ear infection or hot spot since.

It is dairy free,grain free, soy free, gluten free. I did not see peas - it does have potatoes, spinach, kale, carrots and blueberries. Brady loves it! A little goes a long way. Brady only eats about 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We switched to Wellness Core in October, and have not had an ear infection or hot spot since.

It is dairy free,grain free, soy free, gluten free. I did not see peas - it does have potatoes, spinach, kale, carrots and blueberries. Brady loves it! A little goes a long way. Brady only eats about 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day.

But it's got RICE!!!!!!
I found these Natural Balance Allergy formulas( did anyone know dick van Patton had a dog food company?!?!?!?).... what do think of these....I dont understnad most of the ingredients but I dont see lamb, rice, peas, dairy, corn, catfish, or anything else naughty....
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/allergy.html

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Natural balance is a very good food. When we get our finances back in line with a job we will probably go back on it. I still buy the natural balance food roll for Beau since he has to take a ton of pills everyday and I can shred it and put the pills in and make a little meat ball. He loves it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would go with the fish and sweet potato version.

Not sure if you saw my previous post because I had some editing problems, but also look at California Natural herring and sweet potato as a possible food.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
My golden granddog is on the Natural Balance venison and sweet potato. He's doing great on this. The kids tried to switch him to a good but less expensive food.....no go! I like Natural Balance products, my dog does well on them, and he's got food allergies.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Natural Balance has two allergy formula's, Potatoe and Duck, and Sweet Potatoe and Fish. But they both have Salmon or Salmon oil in them, so if you are trying to stay away from fish that won't work.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I would get the IVD prescription kibble from your vet. They have 4 formulas...Venison and potato, rabbit and potato, duck and potato, and whitefish and potato.
I'd start with venison and potato, because it comes in a large breed formulation. Unlike the "over the counter" foods, the ONLY protein is venison and the ONLY carbohydrate is potato.
Not cheap, but no more than the high end over the counter foods.
It's made by Royal Canin, so the nutrition behind it is sound.
JMO

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Are you eliminating Salmon because the report said 'catfish'? Ike has allergies and I've eliminated the common allergens from his diet: wheat, corn, soy, white rice, chicken, & beef. He's on Merrick's Wilderness Blend- one of many formulas they offer, and Honest Kitchen- a raw dehydrated that I add my own meat source too. He loves them both, has had no more ear infections, looks and smells great, and the awful itching has stopped. He has seasonal allergies too, so I give him a benadryl on a bad day.

I was told that Brown Rice may be fine where White Rice causes problems. Could be why the previous owners were feeding a Salmon and Brown Rice formula.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts