Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been researching this for a week and finally worked out what I'm going to do here.

On car trips (at least every Saturday) I've been putting Gilmour in an X-Large Soft Crate from Dr. Fosters & Smith.

I bought a new Escape last week, and while I can make it work, it is a bit too big for this new truck. And the back seats are a pain to fold down.

So, get the next smaller soft-crate? The large is actually the correct size for him anyway.

Or, go with a seat protector and a safety-belt system for him.

I must have 20 hours of reading into this. And I've decided on the latter.

First, since I don't have a way to really secure the soft-crate (or any crate) down, I question just how much protection it would provide (or any crate would provide) in an accident. Being in a crate can't help much if the crate itself is being tossed around inside the car it would seem to me.

Second, a replacement crate would cost around $125 for the same thing one size smaller.

For the seat protector, I ordered one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18882

I originally ordered one of these, which came in today:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11123

Unfortunately, they didn't design in seat-belt pass-through slits. This is important as I will be using a seat belt restraint system. It's boxed up for return.

Now, for the Safety Belt Harness. I spent hours and hours on this one. I read every review I could find, including some pretty indepth articles on the subject. Among all the thorough reviews, there was always one in common that came up as recommended over the others.

The Champion Canine Seat Belt System:

http://www.champk-9.com/CCSS.htmhttp://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

I also found out that this is the exact kit Toyota offers as an option in some of it's vehicles.

Hopefully none of this will ever be needed, but I think I've done the best I can to protect him and everyone else in the car.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I like this, I have felt guilty for not restaining Tucker in the back, for fear of him getting tangled. this looks like just the ticket!

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I hope this works out for you. I tried one like that and my dogs ended getting their legs tangled in the seat belt. Let us know how it works!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has a swivel built into the restraining strap that is supposed to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I used seat belts for several years before I got the van with enough room for crates. I've tried several different models of belts.

I've not used the Champion, but used one somewhat similar to it. It was nice having the harness and the restraint strap separate, but in my experience, having a restraint strap (that attaches at the seat level) long enough to allow the dog to sit up also allows the dog too much freedom to slide off the seat onto the floor and in the event of a collision will not stop the dog from hitting the seats in front of it with considerable force.

When I used them, I much preferred the type of belt that allowed the shoulder belt to slip thru the harness. I did not really like the ones with a permanent loop as that meant that you had to unlatch the seatbelt itself each time you got the dog in and out of the car. My very favorite belt was one I got at PetSmart. The loop that the seat belt went through was actually a strap with a strong snap on the end that looped back to the harness itself. This meant I could leave the seat belt latch and locked (so it didn't extend) all the time. It was a HUGE hassle saver. Using the shoulder belt allowed the dog to sit up or lay down without slack in the system (when the dog wanted to sit up, the loop slid up the seat belt, and vice versa when the dog want to lay down). My only worry with it was that it was not "certified" or what ever they do with doggie seat belts. It did seem pretty sturdy, though, with fairly wide straps and big snaps. Oh, and I forgot my other requirements for a seat belt harness-easy to get on and off (my dogs are in the car at least twice daily, so it has to be quick/easy). This harness has an adjustable "neck hole" and then the harness goes between the front legs and there is a large snap on each side of the dog, so there is no stepping into/through the harness. Very quick/easy. Here's the link to the product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199

Here's an old picture of Ruby wearing the harness (note that I only run the strap thru the locked shoulder belt). You can see that attaching this way does not allow her much room to "wander", just sit up or lay down (IF the seat belt is locked, pulled all the way out and allowed to retract):

ETA: I forgot to mention that I "modified" the harness slightly. Ruby didn't have quite enough shoulders to keep the shoulder straps in the exact right place (they slipped down a little). I used a small collar buckled between the shoulder straps over her neck.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The strap should not be an issue. It is adjustable very short (10") and is not mandatory. They have several optional methods of using the harness.

Thanks for the info!

I used seat belts for several years before I got the van with enough room for crates. I've tried several different models of belts.

I've not used the Champion, but used one somewhat similar to it. It was nice having the harness and the restraint strap separate, but in my experience, having a restraint strap (that attaches at the seat level) long enough to allow the dog to sit up also allows the dog too much freedom to slide off the seat onto the floor and in the event of a collision will not stop the dog from hitting the seats in front of it with considerable force.

When I used them, I much preferred the type of belt that allowed the shoulder belt to slip thru the harness. I did not really like the ones with a permanent loop as that meant that you had to unlatch the seatbelt itself each time you got the dog in and out of the car. My very favorite belt was one I got at PetSmart. The loop that the seat belt went through was actually a strap with a strong snap on the end that looped back to the harness itself. This meant I could leave the seat belt latch and locked (so it didn't extend) all the time. It was a HUGE hassle saver. Using the shoulder belt allowed the dog to sit up or lay down without slack in the system (when the dog wanted to sit up, the loop slid up the seat belt, and vice versa when the dog want to lay down). My only worry with it was that it was not "certified" or what ever they do with doggie seat belts. It did seem pretty sturdy, though, with fairly wide straps and big snaps. Oh, and I forgot my other requirements for a seat belt harness-easy to get on and off (my dogs are in the car at least twice daily, so it has to be quick/easy). This harness has an adjustable "neck hole" and then the harness goes between the front legs and there is a large snap on each side of the dog, so there is no stepping into/through the harness. Very quick/easy. Here's the link to the product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199

Here's an old picture of Ruby wearing the harness (note that I only run the strap thru the locked shoulder belt). You can see that attaching this way does not allow her much room to "wander", just sit up or lay down (IF the seat belt is locked, pulled all the way out and allowed to retract):

ETA: I forgot to mention that I "modified" the harness slightly. Ruby didn't have quite enough shoulders to keep the shoulder straps in the exact right place (they slipped down a little). I used a small collar buckled between the shoulder straps over her neck.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Been researching this for a week and finally worked out what I'm going to do here.

On car trips (at least every Saturday) I've been putting Gilmour in an X-Large Soft Crate from Dr. Fosters & Smith.

I bought a new Escape last week, and while I can make it work, it is a bit too big for this new truck. And the back seats are a pain to fold down.

So, get the next smaller soft-crate? The large is actually the correct size for him anyway.

Or, go with a seat protector and a safety-belt system for him.

I must have 20 hours of reading into this. And I've decided on the latter.

First, since I don't have a way to really secure the soft-crate (or any crate) down, I question just how much protection it would provide (or any crate would provide) in an accident. Being in a crate can't help much if the crate itself is being tossed around inside the car it would seem to me.

Second, a replacement crate would cost around $125 for the same thing one size smaller.

For the seat protector, I ordered one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18882

I originally ordered one of these, which came in today:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11123

Unfortunately, they didn't design in seat-belt pass-through slits. This is important as I will be using a seat belt restraint system. It's boxed up for return.

Now, for the Safety Belt Harness. I spent hours and hours on this one. I read every review I could find, including some pretty indepth articles on the subject. Among all the thorough reviews, there was always one in common that came up as recommended over the others.

The Champion Canine Seat Belt System:

http://www.champk-9.com/CCSS.htm

I also found out that this is the exact kit Toyota offers as an option in some of it's vehicles.

Hopefully none of this will ever be needed, but I think I've done the best I can to protect him and everyone else in the car.
Thanks for the link. Will you do a lot of us a favor and road test it to see if your dogs stay in place or move around and get tangled? Your dogs are probably better travelers than my younger one is (a Houdini), but I really do need to upgrade their safety. We are using something called an Easy Rider we got at Petsmart that loops through the shoulder harness. It's just not as restraining as I want. If you give a good report on them I may order one to road test.

I've got to take my older guy to his acupuncture vet today, a 30 mile round trip--now, after reading these threads, I'm going to be nervous about his safety. :crossfing

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly will. I'll take pictures of the whole setup with him in it once it's all together too.

Thanks for the link. Will you do a lot of us a favor and road test it to see if your dogs stay in place or move around and get tangled? Your dogs are probably better travelers than my younger one is (a Houdini), but I really do need to upgrade their safety. We are using something called an Easy Rider we got at Petsmart that loops through the shoulder harness. It's just not as restraining as I want. If you give a good report on them I may order one to road test.

I've got to take my older guy to his acupuncture vet today, a 30 mile round trip--now, after reading these threads, I'm going to be nervous about his safety. :crossfing

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Until Oct of 2008, I hadn't been in an accident since I was a teenager in 1978. 30 years. On Oct 2008 I got rear-ended by a gent in a MiniVan having a heart attach. It was a pretty good whack.

I've been thinking about all this every since. I haven't restrained a dog, ever, until I got Gilmour last year. Hell, I grew up on a farm back when it was completely normal to see dogs with their heads hanging out over the bed rails of a pickup, catching some air.

And as best I can tell, the vast majority of pet owners don't either.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Until Oct of 2008, I hadn't been in an accident since I was a teenager in 1978. 30 years. On Oct 2008 I got rear-ended by a gent in a MiniVan having a heart attach. It was a pretty good whack.

I've been thinking about all this every since. I haven't restrained a dog, ever, until I got Gilmour last year. Hell, I grew up on a farm back when it was completely normal to see dogs with their heads hanging out over the bed rails of a pickup, catching some air.

And as best I can tell, the vast majority of pet owners don't either.
That's sad about the gentlemen with the heart attack.

I too think about dog safety in the car, especially after talking to the fire captain who fosters for our rescue and relayed some horror stories I will not repeat here.

I learned something from your other thread in Chit Chat and put Barkley in the rear today with his seat harness, avoiding the front air bags, though my Infiniti has side curtain air bags. The other pup stayed at home (under LOUD protest and a peanut butter kong to appease my guilt). Barkley was actually more comfortable in the back and did very well, though he is my good traveler. Our trip was actually 40 miles round trip, mostly toll road in the middle of the city, full of curves and fast turns and with a 70 mph speed limit (in the middle of the city!). It's never radar enforced so the average speed was around 85. I was car sick by the time I got there! It was a safe trip. I always put the child lock on when Barkley is in the car. He has opened the windows himself in the past.

I'm looking forward to your report and photos on the new safety system for Gilmore.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it was kinda hard to get mad at the poor guy, and his insurance company wasn't unpleasant to work with.

He is ok the last I heard.

I've thought about the side-curtain bags too. I'm going to attach him to the center seat belt for this reason. Really, I don't think there is much more we can do about this one. I have no idea how the sensors work for the side curtains, but I do believe it's one long curtain that goes the entire length of each side, so if she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow everywhere.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've thought about the side-curtain bags too. I'm going to attach him to the center seat belt for this reason. Really, I don't think there is much more we can do about this one. I have no idea how the sensors work for the side curtains, but I do believe it's one long curtain that goes the entire length of each side, so if she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow everywhere.
Let's hope none of us find out first-hand how these side bags work. If anyone knows about how they operate and if dogs are vulnerable, please let us know.

Texas passed a law last year requiring children up to 60 pounds (I think it's 60) to wear booster seats in cars. I was examining one of those seats today, thinking about how it could be modified to a golden. This seat was for kids up to 100 pounds. I'm going to have my brilliant DH take a look and see if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, the new back seat hammock came in today.

There was a similar one on Amazon.com, but the one on Dr F&S looked like it may be a little better quality, so I ordered from the Doc.

It's the same one LOL Just the pictures were a bit different.

And it was $10 cheaper on Amazon, and I could have had it shipped 2-day for free as a Prime member.

Oh, well :)

http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-Waterp...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263413945&sr=8-1

The Seat Belt Harness was just shipped by the company today, even though I ordered it last weekend :( It may not arrive for the Saturday trip to my Mom's house. Depends on where they are and how USPS is doing that day. Why do companies sit on orders for 3 days :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts