Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she chases deer and around here,dogs get shot for that. And she caught a rabbit which was saved by hubby==== dang we have to stop this 'hunt' thing she has going...I am thinking SHOCK COLLAR!!!! I hate to do it but she needs to learn to rules. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I agree.....you've got to do whatever it takes... Just like I can't have my dogs running around on the streets, you have to keep Bella under control too.....

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I would definitely be fencing in. If that is not possible then just a 10x10 the dog can go into while your not out with her. Hooch

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My yard is fenced--she does not run free. However, when we walk her in the woods thats when she leaps through the woods after critters. If she sees a deer, which isn't that offten, she takes off but she doesn't go far. I just don;t want her to hurt the deer. The other day she caught a rabbit which my husband got out of her mouth and set it free. Yes, I am thinking shock collar for sure.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Oh got you. The disadvantages of being new and not knowing everyone. I wouldn;t let her off leash if she didn;t have perfect recall and I know that is hard for mine when temptation strikes. I don;t think I would worry about her hurting the deer though but I would worry about her meeting one with horns that doesn't feel like being chased.

Hooch

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I cannot trust Sampson off leash. He has "perfect recall" until he sees something he wants to chase! So, basically, his recall sucks! He went after a jackrabbit about a month ago, and left our property and crossed a busy paved road. I almost had a coronary! No more off leash time for him.

He has a very high prey drive apparently and has killed a few baby rabbits. Yesterday we found a wounded bird and his first instinct was just to kill it. UGH!

I really wouldn't trust Bella since she continues the behavior. They really can get into bad trouble!

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The area that I walk her is basically safe, no traffic, just woods. She always comes back when I call her unless she sees people. I am always looking for the thing that might distract her then I leash her. But as we walk thru the trail, she darts off into the woods, but not very far, to check out the chipmunks and whatever is moving. In the 7 mo I've had her, she has always come back. I walk her in out cemetary too which has a wooded trail in the back on the river. She knows the routine, there is a part where she can jump in the river so its great. But at the cabin, there are lots of deer and lots of temptations.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
A shock collar might be a good idear but do take a trainer, to teach you how to use it,propally.My sister did that with her dogs and only has to put the collar on,for the dogs to remain with her.She doesn't even turn it,on,anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts