Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to be ignorant when my vet used to give me flaxseed oil supplements for their skin. Then she said it's ok to give fish oil for coat. Then I read somewhere fish oil and salmon oil have different benefits, fish oil is anti-inflammatory, while salmon oil is great for skin and coat...But also to avoid cod liver oil. Some say olive oil is good once a while, and then there is coconut oil that is an underrated beneficial oil. And then there's Vitamin E oil, a must when feeding cooked meat? This gets confusing after awhile. My guys have bad joints, rough fur and are aging, but i do not want to overload on the oils since they are pudgy... So which and what do I supplement, and for what purpose? and do they contraindicate each other? Anyone, please?

- flaxseed oil
- fish oil (omega 3)
- salmon oil
- coconut oil
- cod liver oil
- olive oil
- Vitamin E oil

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I've been looking into this, too. Have never tried the flaxseed--I gather it's not as easy for a mammal's body to get the benefit from it as it is with the fish or salmon oil. I give my spaniel Tess salmon oil for her heart. I just bought a huge bottle of fish oil capsules for myself and Tucker. The other ones you've listed--I haven't a clue. So I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. When I was researching, I did try to read many of the threads on GRF, so you might want to poke around on here if you haven't already.

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh that's interesting, because I've come across threads that commented about flaxseed oil being unsuitable for them since they can't convert and use the omega something. It's also hard to gather all that information bits and pieces all over. So I thought if someone had an insight to this and could advise on the usages of each of the oils especially if it would be ok to give all of it or am I duplicating much. Thanks Outwest, we'll see if anyone else has any ideas.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
My understanding of the research is that its the amount of Omega-3 that a dog gets, not whether it came from salmon or mackerel or tuna. After the amount of o-3, what matters is the purity. I looked at consumer reports' listings of supplements, and ended up buying the Walgreens brand of fish oil. It was the purest product they tested and one of the more affordable. So I'm giving it to myself and to Tucker. When Tess's salmon oil runs out, I'm going to switch her to it as well. The thing I like about it, compared to the bottled oil with a pump is that the portions will be more accurate. The pump doesn't seem so accurate. Right now I'm just putting Tucker's two pills into a small blob of peanut butter on a spoon and letting him lick it off. When I switch Tess over to it, I'll probably start poking a hole in them and putting on their food. She only needs about one half.

I'm going to ask my vet about the vitamin e. I don't think he needs any other additions. I've been told to give Tess another supplement for her heart (she has MVD), something that starts with an O, but it's very expensive and I need to research it more.

I also give both dogs glucosamine-chondroitin in tablet form. I bought a breeders size box about a year ago and it's still going strong.

Hope that helps. Maybe more people will chime in.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
My understanding of the research is that its the amount of Omega-3 that a dog gets, not whether it came from salmon or mackerel or tuna. After the amount of o-3, what matters is the purity. I looked at consumer reports' listings of supplements, and ended up buying the Walgreens brand of fish oil. It was the purest product they tested and one of the more affordable. So I'm giving it to myself and to Tucker. When Tess's salmon oil runs out, I'm going to switch her to it as well. The thing I like about it, compared to the bottled oil with a pump is that the portions will be more accurate. The pump doesn't seem so accurate. Right now I'm just putting Tucker's two pills into a small blob of peanut butter on a spoon and letting him lick it off. When I switch Tess over to it, I'll probably start poking a hole in them and putting on their food. She only needs about one half.

I'm going to ask my vet about the vitamin e. I don't think he needs any other additions. I've been told to give Tess another supplement for her heart (she has MVD), something that starts with an O, but it's very expensive and I need to research it more.

I also give both dogs glucosamine-chondroitin in tablet form. I bought a breeders size box about a year ago and it's still going strong.

Hope that helps. Maybe more people will chime in.
You need vitamin E when feeding fish oil. Its needed to properly metabolize the fish oil. Without it the fish oil could deplete the dog of their Vitamin E supply causing a deficiancy

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
You need vitamin E when feeding fish oil. Its needed to properly metabolize the fish oil. Without it the fish oil could deplete the dog of their Vitamin E supply causing a deficiancy
But that's another point of contention...one article I read said that if a dog was getting it in their kibble, it wasn't necessary. I'll go check out more info then. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
But that's another point of contention...one article I read said that if a dog was getting it in their kibble, it wasn't necessary. I'll go check out more info then. Thanks!
The amount in the kibble is usually there only as a form of preservative. Also, I believe that any supplements added into kibble at the plant is depleted some from heat, sitting in the bag, air etc

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So since I cook for them, I'll need to add vit E? That's quite confusing.
I bought a gnc antioxidant which includes vit E but I'm putting that on hold because of the high vitamin A levels. Anyone has any idea the dosage for vit E if I'm giving fish oils? I've read on another thread that fish oil can be given in really high dosages for anti-inflammatory effects. Does that mean vit E dosage has to increase accordingly? I think I should stop giving both fish and salmon oil, just use 1.

·
Forever owned by 3As'
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i'll do vit E at 400IU. Looks like I'll take the flaxseed for myself and find a good salmon oil for my guys. and seems like i should take the fish oil off the shelf too. Have I done any damage with all the oils I've been giving so far? Alphie has a slightly enlarged heart, she's getting the fish oils and coQ10

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ahh that's interesting, because I've come across threads that commented about flaxseed oil being unsuitable for them since they can't convert and use the omega something. It's also hard to gather all that information bits and pieces all over. So I thought if someone had an insight to this and could advise on the usages of each of the oils especially if it would be ok to give all of it or am I duplicating much. Thanks Outwest, we'll see if anyone else has any ideas.
The DHA and EPA fatty acids in flax oil are very hard for the human and pet body to convert into a usable form. Just can not break them down. Thus fish or Salmon oil for the DHA and EPA. I choose to do both Flax meal( in the form of THE MISSING LINK and then the Grizzly brand Salmon oil for Lola. I like the benefit of the flax lignans and the fiber of the flax- the DHA and EPA of the salmon oil.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
ok i'll do vit E at 400IU. Looks like I'll take the flaxseed for myself and find a good salmon oil for my guys. and seems like i should take the fish oil off the shelf too. Have I done any damage with all the oils I've been giving so far? Alphie has a slightly enlarged heart, she's getting the fish oils and coQ10
I think you could just give them the fish oil, if it has enough Omega 3 in it. At least you could use it up, then switch to salmon if you still wanted to. It's the omega 3 that matters, and the purity of the product (no mercury, etc.). Can be any salmon or other fish.

I doubt you've done any damage...

Where do you buy the coQ10? I'm supposed to be giving it to my spaniel, but it's pretty pricey.

I guess I'll go get some vitamin E too.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
You can use the fish oil (thats what I use). Just make sure you get the dosing as accurate as you can.

My fish oil capsules contain:
180 EPA
120 DHA

The dose is 20mg/lb of body weight for EPA and 12mg/lb of body weight for EPA. So heres Lincolns accurate dose

20x60= 1200 so Lincoln needs 1200mg of EPA daily

12x60= 720 so Lincoln needs 720mg of DHA daily

Right now he is getting 3 fish oil pills a day, plus his joint supplement has the equivalent of one fish oil pill. So lets say hes getting 4

So right now he is getting 720mg of EPA and 480mg of DHA

Its a little low for him but I need to wean him up to the proper amount.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Fish oil and salmon oil have high levels of EPA/DHA which are the important omega 3s. Dallas Gold and I attended a seminar a couple years ago given by one of the vets in the practice she uses. She said that, across the board, this is the one supplement she would recommend. The rate is 300 mg EPA/DHA (combined) per 10 pounds of weight. It's the same formula Sarah (one of our forum vets) recommended in her sticky on supplements ( I believe it's in the health section). Many feel the omega 3s found in flaxseed is not able to be processed by most dogs.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Im kinda curious why vets say that just 180 EPA and 120 DHA is good? My previous vet just gave me Medium Breed AllerG3 caps that had the above in 1 pill and she told me to give 1 pill a day and that was enough to help with his skin and allergies. It never did anything so I stopped giving it. I recently bumped him up to 4 pills a day and I may notice a little difference but hes only been on the upped dose for 2 weeks or so.

·
Banned
464 Posts
DHA is needed in some cases, but there is no known benefit of EPA. That is why egg yolks are superior. EPA binds other fatty acids and that is why the balance with omega 6 needs to be correct.

Two Studies of Fish Oil for Canine Arthritis | The SkeptVet Blog
Latest Review Finds Fish Oils Don’t Help Dementia | The SkeptVet Blog

I am willing to read any real study on fish oil but I cannot find one that shows the miracle effects.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/32900-dangers-fish-oil-supplements/
http://chriskresser.com/when-it-comes-to-fish-oil-more-is-not-better

1 - 20 of 37 Posts