Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AGAIN.
This is the second time after dock diving that he's gotten "limp tail", "limber tail", "dead tail", "cold tail", it goes by many names.
I'm so disappointed. I hope this doesn't end his dock diving career. We had entered, and paid for, today's splashes but of course we're not going. The poor guy.
There is a woman who attends most of the same dock diving events that I do, who is a sport/rehabilitation vet. I happened to be talking to her yesterday about his previous experience with limp tail after the last time she and I had been dock diving. I told her that I was being REAL careful to dry him off, not let him get cold, etc.
She told me that while cold can be a contributing factor, it's actually only one factor. She also said that movement and/or impact on the water are much more likely to cause it instead of cold/wet, but that the cold and wet could certainly make it worse. Interestingly, she said that shaking a lot (as in, to get the water off) has been implicated as another major contributing factor. He shook a LOT yesterday, I have to wonder if a combination of the cold water, the repeated jumps, using his tail as a rudder when swimming, and the constant shaking caused this.
So last night he started acting not quite himself, and this morning he has full dead tail.
I'm soooo disappointed. Now I know it's minor, it's not life threatening or anything, but I sure hope we can keep dock diving.
Anyone have any ideas how to prevent this, other than making sure to dry him right away and keep him warm, both of which I did yesterday????

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Poor Tito

I don't have any experience with it, but I have seen it. I hope this doesn't make this event off his "dock"et of competition.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
If it's impact, or shaking, how could you prevent it? Hmmmm, how about a tight, padded, Neoprene tail wrap...I'm serious. You both love it, it would be sad if you had to stop:(

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Priska had it,once and I give her Arnica but she never had it,again!.It happened,in winter and the water was cold!.
I would say keep doing what your doing and maybe give him arnica,before doing dockdiving!.
When she had that,I give her 3 pellets,every 4 hrs,until the tail was back to normal!.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Priska had it,once and I give her Arnica but she never had it,again!.It happened,in winter and the water was cold!.
I would say keep doing what your doing and maybe give him arnica,before doing dockdiving!.
When she had that,I give her 3 pellets,every 4 hrs,until the tail was back to normal!.
Arnica is awesome stuff...but I've only used it topically...not orally. Tell us more:)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not, I had thought about wrapping his tail tightly with vetwrap. He has a pretty fluffy tail, and when it gets soaked it probably weighs quite a bit. (I've seen a vet do that with a golden with really bad diarrhea).
As for the shaking, yesterday I made him wear his way cool "team tito" jacket in between splashes and walked him around a lot to keep him warm and his blood flowing, etc. WELL....he doesn't like the jacket. He kept shaking, repeatedly and violently, while we were walking around. I was laughing about it, telling him not to bother, he was NOT going to shake the jacket off :doh::doh:.
I wonder if I dried him really well, and then kept him lying down so that he couldn't shake??? I just don't know. This is very frustrating.

If it's impact, or shaking, how could you prevent it? Hmmmm, how about a tight, padded, Neoprene tail wrap...I'm serious. You both love it, it would be sad if you had to stop:(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was researching dead tail syndrome online and came across several references to Arnica. Can you tell me more about it??

·
Registered
5,649 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Aw, poor Tito! And poor you!

Couple thoughts: I second the Arnica. It was recommended to me by my homeopatic vet. It's used for muscle strain/sprain and brusiing. I use the 30 strength pellets. I dose it as a matter of routine anytime after my dogs have a good weekend warrior run (like when we spend a day or weekend at the beach and they run way more than normal) or after I do strength-training workouts with Quiz by having him retrieve up a steep hill. There's also Traumeel, which is homeopathic, but much stronger than Arnica. I keep a bottle of that on hand as well.

Arnica also comes as a cream. I have several HUMAN friends who swear by the cream for tending to bruises.

The other thought I had is that you could desensitize him to wearing the jacket so that he stops shaking - especially if shaking can contribute to the strain on the tail.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
The Arnica cream/gel IS amazing stuff to thwart bruising...I started growing the plant, Arnica montana, in my herb garden this year (it's a pretty purple daisy type flower) with the intent to make a tincture....but I can't ascertain strength so they were just bouquets, lol.

The oral Arnica is something I'll have to get...thanks!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Is it any better now? He might just be susceptible to cold tail. Poor guy. Tess had it once, I felt so sorry for her.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Here you go:
Here is an article that explains what it is:
Arnica Montana 30C
Arnica Montana is the universal First Aid remedy for all types of injuries.

One dose taken immediately after a fall or an injury, will prevent shock, bruising, reduce bleeding, swelling and relieve pain.

Keep a few tubes on hand: in your purse, in the car and in the school bag, just in case!

? Great for kids? bumps & bruises!
? Great for sports injuries!
? Great for pain!
? Great for surgery!
? Great for dental work!

NO SIDE EFFECTS!

Presentation: Tube dispenser of approx.85 sublingual homeopathic
pellets (4gr.)

Recommended dosage: 3 to 5 pellets, immediately after injury and then 3 times a day away from meals. For severe symptoms, dosage can be repeated hourly, reducing frequency with improvement.

Arnica Montana: This is the major remedy for new traumatic injuries?especially bruises, sprains, and concussions. Symptoms are worse from touch and motion.

Arnica can be helpful for painful bruising and tissue-damage caused by surgery and dental work?given preventively before an anticipated injury, and used to treat the soreness afterward. It is also helpful in preventing shock.

If you have an injury, you really can reduce bruising by using Homeocare's Arnica Montana.
Bruising occurs when the skin experiences a strike that breaks many small blood vessels. The blood then leaks out under the skin, thereby causing a black, blue, and red appearance of a bruise. Over time, the body slowly reabsorbs the blood and the bruise begins to fade away.

Reduce Bruising Faster With HomeoCare's Arnica Montana!
Homeocare's Arnica Montana, 30C works faster because its natural ingredient helps to stimulate white blood cell activity and reduce inflammation. It is such activity which causes the digestion of congested blood. The trapped blood is then scattered and dissolved into the body at a much faster rate. Our formula can immediately begin to reduce bruising that has started to occur.

Arnica Montana is an all-natural medicine that is often used to help minimize post-operative bruising, and promote repair and growth of tissues that may have been damaged by surgery. Often used before and after plastic surgery, Arnica Montana is known to accelerate the healing process and shorten recovery time.

Anothere great article,on how much to giv:
http://www.dogmark.net/dmninter/dogm...elliott02.html

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
One thing to think about is that Arnica works, in part, by vasoconstriction...that's why it's so great for bruises, strains, sprains. The topical gels warn not to use more that 4 times a day, because limiting the blood supply in some instances can result in necrosis (dead or dying tissue).

I think that's why I was surprised it came in an oral form...any issues with that?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My agility trainer, and a lot of students in my agility group, also recommend Arnica; they use it on their dogs in agility.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll look into it, thanks. Of particular interest is it says it can be given preventatively.

Here you go:
Arnica can be helpful for painful bruising and tissue-damage caused by surgery and dental work?given preventively before an anticipated injury, and used to treat the soreness afterward. It is also helpful in preventing shock.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great articles, thanks!
No one seems to know how to prevent it from happening next time, though, which is my main concern!

Merlin had dead tail during his first beach trip in 08. I was worried about a repeat when we went this year but it didn't happen.

At the time our vet recommended using a heating pad to help with the pain. Lasted for about 4 days.

Found this info....http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html and http://www.working-retriever.com/library/cwtail.html

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do they use the internal or external form?

My agility trainer, and a lot of students in my agility group, also recommend Arnica; they use it on their dogs in agility.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
....given preventively before an anticipated injury...

Teehee... this makes me chuckle just a bit. Who anticipates injury? ;-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts