Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I am so freaking out right now. I came home from work this evening to find that my dog(tucker) had thrown up in his crate. When I went to investigate, I noticed 4 worms in his vomit. Quite possibly the most horrifying thing I have seen. My immediate thought was to bring him to the vet, but they are closed right now. I'm just so worried.. Also, all the vets are closed on sunday(I don't know if my finances can support going to emergency vet at night).

I then went on google, and after seeing pictures, they are definitely roundworm. Overall, Tucker has been acting completely normal...voracious appetite, and very happy go lucky. But now that I think about it, he has thrown up a few times this past week, but I chalked that up to him just feeling ill in the mornings(Was a little bile). Also he snores a lot when he sleeps, could this be obstruction due to worms...probably not right. Right now i'm just examining every little thing, and just freaking out.

Can this wait till Monday morning, or do I need a vet ASAP? Right now he's just playing with a toy in his crate. After researching more, I found out that roundworm can be transmitted to humans through feces...and Tucker has laid on my bed a few times this past week....ahhh.

Another option is to get an OTC dewormer(panacur, etc) but I don't want to have to wait for that to come in if it really is a pressing situation. What do I do?? Go to an emergency vet tomorrow, wait till monday and go to the vet, or get an OTC dewormer?

Thank you all so much for whatever advice you can give me.

Ahh. Forgot to mention, Tucker is a 6 month old golden retriever.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I would definitely consult with the vet about the best way to take care of a heavy infestation. I don't believe it is an emergency situation. But definitely get on it Monday morning.

And yep....it's totally gross and disgusting!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Are you seeing one or two? Or a mound of them?

I'm familier with Lucky upchucking one or two at a time. It means your pup has a heavy infestation and needs more treatment.

The worms start out in the bloodstream as microfillia, then mature in the lungs and the last stage is to make their way to the Intestines to reproduce.

Lucky would cough them out as he tried to swallow them after they went from the lungs to the intestines.

Yuch!!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
You might be able to wait until Monday but if your dog is already throwing up, he's starting to get sick, you'll need to do something very soon. Dogs can get very sick with worms -- Daisy did when she was a puppy, I didn't know what was going on but it sure seemed to me like she was going to die. Had to take her to the emergency vet. Got her the right medicine and she was back to herself within 24-36 hours.

You don't want Tucker to get that sick so just keep an eye on him. If he stops eating and becomes lethargic, don't wait until Monday. And personally, I wouldn't mess with OTC medicines -- let your vet handle it and get it done quickly the first time around.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have no advice, but yuck! Hope you can get rid of the problem real quick.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I'd keep a good eye on him today and then take him in first thing Monday morning.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to wash and change your sheets/blankets and his play/sleeping areas for the next little while til the treatment has worked.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Piper had them coming out the other end at about the same age.
Took a sample in to the vet and the proper meds were perscribed.

Next time we want pictures.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Sorry I did not see this earlier and you probably already took some action. If it was me personally I would probably wait till Monday to contact the vet. Do you have any Heartgard? If so I would give a dose, it will also treat roundworms. Roundworms in pups is not unusal and many breeders start treating for them before the pups go to their homes to help prevent them from getting to this point.

Hoping Tucker is feeling better and rid of those worms quickly.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I was in this situation once. Called the emergency vet, and they said they didn't even carry medication for worms because it wasn't considered an emergency situation.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
When I first got Daisy, I didn't have a clue about so many things. She must have had worms for awhile but I didn't know what to look for. Anyway, worms can quickly become an emergency situation if left untreated -- that's why I recommended going to the vet and getting the medicine you need there instead of OTC.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I personally would wait to bring your puppy in to your Vet first appointment you can get Monday, unless more vomiting of worms, lethargy, or poop filled with worms. Please DO NOT use over the counter meds, with a heavy infestation of them, let your Vet handle this one.
My puppies all left to their new homes at 8 weeks, with 4 doses of wormer....was your puppy wormed when you first got him? Wash all of your bedding, and any other area where your puppy sleeps, till you can get this taken care of. Give that little guy an extra hug! He will be feeling much better real soon, with the right medication!:)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
PLEASE do not use any HARTZ worm meds. There products have done a lot of harm to cats and dogs.
Agreed. Hartz used to be a decent brand many years ago, but they have gone severely down hill in quality. I wouldn't trust their products at all, especially their medications.

I don't think your situation requires a trip to the ER vet, but I would call your regular vet first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
It's a little unusual to see a 5-month old with a worm infestation so severe that he is vomiting them, especially if he has been on the more common heartworm preventatives such as Heartgard or Interceptor, but it can happen. If you can't get in for an appointment on Monday, I would at least drop off a stool sample so they can run a fecal. He may have more than just roundworms.

It's also possible that they may be a different kind of worm. One of my dogs got hold of a rabbit once, ate it (ew!!) and ended up with some worms that are normally only seen in rabbits ;(

It wouldn't hurt to worm him with Heartgard or Interceptor if you have any, but with a severe infestation, it may take a few rounds of worming to get rid of them, and again, they may be a different type of worm. They may also be resistant to the normal wormers such as Pyrantel Paomate and may require something like Panacur.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I would never purchase any pet medication from Walmart (or any Mart for that matter) you don't know how long it has been sitting there, and how it is handled/stored like extreme heat, cold, damp, etc. Plus they are not the quality our pups deserve and can do more harm than good.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Just a thought...if Tucker hasn't been on a monthly wormer like Interceptor, might want to spring for bloodwork to rule out Heartworms, then treat the roundworms and keep him on a monthly preventative.

My Sadie had a wormy throw-up at about 10 weeks....I know how worried you must feel. It's like you want to treat him this very minute cause you know those worms are in there :yuck:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would wait until Monday and then make sure you take a fecal specimen to your vet. They will check for other parasites as well. IF you choose to worm now, get strongid. It worms for rounds. Then after the fecal specimen is read you can worm for additional if needed. Worms in puppies are very common, especially roundworms. This is not an emergency situation, but definately gross. If your dog had hookworms for example and was lethargic, I would worry. But not with an acting normal, I have roundworms, puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I am going to go to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. It's quite disconcerting to think that Tucker has worms in him. I get chills everytime I think about it. I did save one of the worms last night in a small baggie, and will bring it to the Vet. I replaced all my bed sheets and my pillow cases. I let him out this morning, and he had a voracious appetite as always. Hasn't vomited yet, but he usually drops down 3 mounds of poop in the morning(How weird is it that I know exactly how much he poops, and when!)

He only dropped 1 mound this morning which is odd. He seems pretty energetic, wanting to play etc. Should I gather some of his poop this evening in a baggie, or should the roundworm itself be alright? Thanks again everyone. I could barely fall asleep last night, just stared at him sleeping in the crate...worried. :uhoh:

I have a petsmart and a petco nearby. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754521 Can I use that today? Or should I just wait till tomorrow. I just want them out of him now.

Oh and there were 3 worms in his vomit yesterday.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts