Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little Cpt Seabiscuit has been drinking ALOT, and obviosuly peeing ALOT too, after being out she has pee'd when coming in after only 15 mins with no warning, and she seemed to be getting quite good at the toilet training too.

So got a sample to the vet, they said there is no irregularities in the sample, quite high in protein but to be expected in a puppy her age.

Said he would expect her to drink an average of 600ml per day, but she has been drinking 1400ml plus!

So for the next three days, we have to give me a constant supply of water at her disposal (as we do anyway) and measure just how much is being drank iin a 24 period. If it continues to be 'excessive' then blood samples to be taken.

:( I hope she's ok!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Oh I hope she is ok too.....puppies do tend to pee alot though. pLease let us know what happens.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
hoping it's just an unexplained puppy stage!! Sorry no experience to help you with that but I know that Max drinks a TON of water. He is healthy as a horse. I hope that Seabiscuit is too!!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey loves to drink water too! I give her as much as she wants. I fill her bowl several times a day. I hope your pup is well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hoping it's just an unexplained puppy stage!! Sorry no experience to help you with that but I know that Max drinks a TON of water. He is healthy as a horse. I hope that Seabiscuit is too!!
Max is about the same age as Seabiscuit isnt he? 12-13 weeks? Any chance you could measure a typical days worth of water consumed in Millilitres plz? That would be a great help, thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I'm confident everything is fine, just a precautionary measure really, better safe than sorry.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max is about the same age as Seabiscuit isnt he? 12-13 weeks? Any chance you could measure a typical days worth of water consumed in Millilitres plz? That would be a great help, thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I'm confident everything is fine, just a precautionary measure really, better safe than sorry.

Max is a big boy now :) coming on 10 months I think. But he's always been like a horse at the gee, how do you spell troth? Hmm. I never thought to worry about it. It makes matters worse because he dribbles all over the place.

I think that any time you are worried enough for a vet visit, then you should go. Don't worry yourself sick though - my Max drinks a lot but he's healthy. I hope that Seabiscuit is too!! Let us know how the vet visit goes!

·
Registered
233 Posts
After my dog was trained he had a bit of a "set back" and shortly after being let out, even with in minutes, he's be back inside and pee in the house. It happens. As for the water, mine drinks a ton too. But Sea Biscuit will be in our thoughts!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I hope its nothing serious.

Dodger drank tons of water as a puppy. He also peed constantly which made potty training a nightmare. I'd be cleaning up a puddle while he was making another.

All his urine analyses were normal. They measured at the vet clinic how much water he would drink if given free access and said it was so much that he could have seizures (which he never did). The concentration of his urine was so low that he was basically peeing out water.

We had to limit his water drinking. We couldnt pick up the bowl because the other dogs needed access to water but we would call him away from the bowl/distract him when he had had enough.

He's a year and a half now and only occasionally needs to be told that he's had enough water so that he doesn't finish the entire bowl. He never had any health problems as a result of his water drinking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts