Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank god hes ok! I'll give you the story and Im still a little worried. I must have left my metal coat hangers out, me and sawyer were in my room organizing. All of the sudden I heard the worst sounds ever, screaming at the top of his lungs, I didn't know what was wrong until I saw he twisted off the sharp end of the coat hanger and I guess it got stuck in his mouth. Thank god it wasnt something else. I wanted to know if this has ever happened to any of you guys? Something getting caught in your dogs mouth? I just want to know im not alone! I love my guy and hate to see him in pain! Thanks!

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Though not a coat hanger, my RB guy Logan, got a small ball stuck in the back of his jaw. It was a hard rubber ball, smaller than a tennis ball. He was playing and chewing on it. Then after a bit of time I noticed he had not closed his mouth in a while. When I looked, the ball was wedged into the back of his jaw and caught on the teeth. It scared me to think he might have been able to shallow it. I pulled it out and immediately threw it away. Just shows how quickly things can happen. At least you were home. It could be the hanger was slightly damaged, which is why the end broke off. Glad to hear he is OK.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Things can happen quickly. Tayla got a large piece of a bully stick stuck in her throat twice. First time I knew something wasn't right and felt something when I rubbed her throat. I was able to pry her mouth open and work it out by rubbing upwards on the outside and sticking my fingers down her throat. The second time I wasn't sure and the stupid dog decided to resource guard her precious bully stick in her throat by growling when I tried to get her mouth open. Luckily she got it up on her own and I tossed it. Last time for bully sticks. She is a gobbler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He wasnt bleeding thank gosh! and Im glad your angels are ok! I think when I turned away and folded clothes, he got into my hangers and it got wedged in his teeth. Because after I pulled it out, he wanted to play with it again.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I did not have that happen, but Brady once got his jaw caught in stuck in between the wooden rungs of a baby gate. I had him in the kitchen behind the gate, went outside for a few minutes, and heard the worst cry coming from him. I ran in, and he was stuck. Luckily, I was able move the rungs a little to get him out. I was so glad I was still close to the house. This babygate was one that we had permanently installed, and had used it to raise 3 other puppies and 3 toddlers, so I always assumed it was safe. Bought it from Toys R us. It was removed that day.

·
David-Ben & Jeris Dad
281 Posts
Good thing your baby is OK..Crazy what Golden's will get into..

My Sadie used to love bringing me things..I always knew she had something in her mouth because she would crawl up in my lap and get in my face. One day she did that and I didn't see anything sticking out of her mouth, so I coaxed her to open her mouth and she had picked up a sewing needle and was holding it ever so carefully, clenching it in her front teeth! Apparently my wife had done a sewing repair and left the needle on the coffee table sitting on a stack of coasters, not thinking the dog would find it, let alone pick it up. I freaked out..all I could think of was what if she swallowed it! Needless to say after that, we made sure that stuff like that was well out of her reach...Even when they get older...it really is like having a toddler in the house!

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Bella loves to chew on small sticks. Twice in the past two weeks, she has had a piece wedged sideways in the roof of her mouth. The only way to prevent this from happening again would be to leash her at all times outside. I'd rather not, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Our Tucker loves sticks too, and once he had one stuck on the roof of his mouth so high and hidden it took me awhile to figure out the reason for his distress. After I got it out, I'd never seen a more grateful, clingy dog in my life! We are very careful with him outside and sticks - we have an invisible fence system, but he is NEVER unsupervised out there for this and other obvious reasons...

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Our Tucker loves sticks too, and once he had one stuck on the roof of his mouth so high and hidden it took me awhile to figure out the reason for his distress. After I got it out, I'd never seen a more grateful, clingy dog in my life! We are very careful with him outside and sticks - we have an invisible fence system, but he is NEVER unsupervised out there for this and other obvious reasons...
It's a huge problem. There are just too many small twigs on our property. I've actually considered an electronic collar just to take care of this problem. I still haven't ruled it out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This is NOT my dog, but a friend of a friends chocolate lab. Unbeknownst to them, he ate a Christmas ornament that was full of pins. They didn't realize anything was wrong until he stopped eating. They looked in his mouth and he had a pin jammed in the roof of his mouth. So they rushed him to the vet who removed the pin and decided to do an X-ray just to be on the safe side. This is what they found. ImageUploadedByPG Free1359403900.944600.jpg

The dog had swallowed 54 pins! After surgery, he made a full recovery and is fine, but wow! Crazy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
When I was growing up we had a Brittany that my mom had given a round bone to from a roast she was cooking.
She somehow managed to slide the bone over her lower jaw. Had to take her to a vet to get it cut off!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good thing your baby is OK..Crazy what Golden's will get into..

My Sadie used to love bringing me things..I always knew she had something in her mouth because she would crawl up in my lap and get in my face. One day she did that and I didn't see anything sticking out of her mouth, so I coaxed her to open her mouth and she had picked up a sewing needle and was holding it ever so carefully, clenching it in her front teeth! Apparently my wife had done a sewing repair and left the needle on the coffee table sitting on a stack of coasters, not thinking the dog would find it, let alone pick it up. I freaked out..all I could think of was what if she swallowed it! Needless to say after that, we made sure that stuff like that was well out of her reach...Even when they get older...it really is like having a toddler in the house!
Thank goodness she did not swallow it, this happened to my friends 8 month old pup.... after quick x-ray and a scope with a pincer & $2200.00 later the pup was fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts