Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what to do anymore.Duke is going to be 6 weeks old on the 28th.He eats wonderfully,he goes to the door when he has to go outside,he´s affectionate etc,but he has a habbit that is grossing me out!

EVERY time he poops,he turns right around and eats it!:yuck: During the day,I am picking it up as quick as he´s done so that he doesnt even have the chance to turn and smell it..but at night,he sleeps in our laundry room,and in the morning,there are poop stains all over the newspapers,but no poops in sight..he eats them ALL,and beleive me,his poops are as big as my FIST,so thats ALOT of poop!!:doh:

I told our vet this,and asked her if there was anything I could do or give him,and nothing exsists here (Spain) so I have no idea how to stop him doing it :(
I am so paranoid because he´s a licker,and he bites EVERYTHING,so I spend the day wiping my toddlers hands whenever she touches his face,wiping down toys etc etc

How can I get him to stop? Its not that he´s hungry...he eats like a small horse and his food is always out!
Please help!!!:yuck:

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Sierra is almost 6 months old and she still does it. Not all the time but every once in a whiel. I have tried several things and nothng seems to work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mako is 21 weeks and he has the same habit. Not all the time. It seems when he is board and in my yard. When I walk him on leash he doesn't even look at it. But in the yard if he is by himself he may do it. I tried something called potty mouth, but I think it was making him sick because he stopped eating. I have sprayed his poop with bitter apple in the yard and he has walked away but he doesn't do it when someone is with him. So I don't know if that really works.

Maybe you should not leave food out all the time. Get him to eat two or three times a day so maybe he won't have to go during the night. I crate Mako so I never had the problem during the night. He never went in the crate. Just a suggestion.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been having the same problem with our Border Collie mix lately. She's about 9 years old and has NEVER done this until like the last few months. I read online to sprinkle some meat tenderizer on their food and it makes the stools taste bad so they won't eat them, but it upset her tummy. I'm definitely interested in people's ideas too. It's the GROSSEST habit!!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
The most obvious solution here is to crate him at night, so that he will not just be pooping and peeing at will. At the extremely young age he is (he's not even 6 weeks old and already away from his mom and siblings??) he will need to go outside to potty several times during the night, which means you need to wake up and take him outside every couple hours for a few weeks until he is able to hold it through the night. He should not be allowed to poop and pee indoors. Not only is this sending a mixed message to him that its ok to potty inside, but also allowing him to eat the poop without any correction from you since you aren't there watching him.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He should not be allowed to poop and pee indoors.
He has very few indoor accidents ;) I take him out every 20 minutes or so,and after he eats or drinks,and its only taken him 2 weeks to understand that when he needs to "go",he has to go to the front door.
When I see him around that area,I quickly take him out and he´s very good about it.

The night time is the only problem.He poops during the night and those are the ones he eats because Im not there to stop him.
I have thought about crating him,but he´s still so young and Id need to be up more than every couple of hours for pee breaks,but being as Im still breastfeeding my daughter throughout the night,I just cant do that you know?
Between breastfeeding and running to Duke to take him out,I wouldent sleep all night! lol

Thats why I decided to keep him in the laundry room just until he´s a little older and crate him then-when I know he can go without pooping or peeing for more than 3 hours.

Right now,I am wiping out his mouth every morning (when I go fetch him from the laundry room) and running around after him when I take him out to poop during the day.
Ive just checked and we cant get those products (for-bid,dis-taste) here..that sucks:doh:

·
Registered
212 Posts
have no experience with this, but i've heard adding a little pineapple to their food makes it undesirable upon exit! LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is a young pup and they will "clean up" poop messes around them. My guess is that he may do the same thing in a crate.

The only magic poop dust I know of is Forbid but I wouldn't use it on a 6 week old pup. I think there are other brands too. I have used Forbid with some success but, like I said, I wouldn't give it to a puppy that young. My advise if you would be to contact a vet and ask about Forbid or other magic poop dusts before you use it. I wouldn't give it to a dog younger than 16 weeks old.

My only other advise is to keep it picked up the best you can and when taking him outside to poop, keep him on a leash so that you can immediately redirect him away from the poop. Our current pup started this and we fixed it with a leash within a week.

We do still deal with frozen poopcicles but that comes down to me keeping it picked up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sully does this occasionally, but with the basset's poop. I have tried the distaste and it upset the basset's tummy. My vet said some dogs just do it. I was worried at first that maybe the breeder didn't pick up when she was little, but Scotty comes from the same breeder and he doesn't do it. Just pick up fast and make sure that he goes out a few times at night. I got Scotty at 5 1/2 weeks and he had to go out several times a night. Of course, part of that was me thinking he needed to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Can I do that at 6 weeks old?
I don't think I would be adding anything to his food right now-he is just too young.

His poops sound awfully big-what are you feeding him, and how much are you feeding him? I wonder if a lot of nutrients are coming out in his poop and that is why he is eating it.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
He has very few indoor accidents ;) I take him out every 20 minutes or so,and after he eats or drinks,and its only taken him 2 weeks to understand that when he needs to "go",he has to go to the front door.
When I see him around that area,I quickly take him out and he´s very good about it.

The night time is the only problem.He poops during the night and those are the ones he eats because Im not there to stop him.
I have thought about crating him,but he´s still so young and Id need to be up more than every couple of hours for pee breaks,but being as Im still breastfeeding my daughter throughout the night,I just cant do that you know?
Between breastfeeding and running to Duke to take him out,I wouldent sleep all night! lol

Thats why I decided to keep him in the laundry room just until he´s a little older and crate him then-when I know he can go without pooping or peeing for more than 3 hours.
Crate Crate Crate. There is no valid reason why he shouldn't be in a crate or a small pen. It is much safer for him especially so young.

You said he has very few indoor accidents, but you also said that he poops during the night inside. Whether it's night or day, a pup that young doesn't know the difference and they can definitely NOT hold it all through the night! I think the rule of thumb is that a puppy should only be able to hold their pee/poo for one hour for every month of their age. So at 2 months, it is 2 hours.

I'm sure that it is a ton of work between breastfeeding and raising a puppy, but I think you will need to make some sort of schedule to take him out at least once through the night, at least until he is about 9 or 10 weeks when he will be able to sleep through the night.

Since he lost so much crucial time with his littermates, there is so much that you will need to make up for. Locking him in a secluded laundry room isn't exactly the best way to get him used to being around other beings when a pup that age should be sleeping in a pile with his brothers and sisters. I would get a crate, fill it with tons of stuffed animals and keep him in it beside your bed at night and when you can't watch him. The crate will work wonders with potty training!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Tucker is going to be 7 years old and his nickname is Potty mouth. Thankfully he doesn't eat his own, but he enjoys Shadow's. I pick it up, most days, before he can get to it.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Tucker is going to be 7 years old and his nickname is Potty mouth. Thankfully he doesn't eat his own, but he enjoys Shadow's. I pick it up, most days, before he can get to it.

I love the nickname. My nephew has started calling Sierra Crap Vaccum.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Agree with this entire post!

Crate Crate Crate. There is no valid reason why he shouldn't be in a crate or a small pen. It is much safer for him especially so young.

You said he has very few indoor accidents, but you also said that he poops during the night inside. Whether it's night or day, a pup that young doesn't know the difference and they can definitely NOT hold it all through the night! I think the rule of thumb is that a puppy should only be able to hold their pee/poo for one hour for every month of their age. So at 2 months, it is 2 hours.

I'm sure that it is a ton of work between breastfeeding and raising a puppy, but I think you will need to make some sort of schedule to take him out at least once through the night, at least until he is about 9 or 10 weeks when he will be able to sleep through the night.

Since he lost so much crucial time with his littermates, there is so much that you will need to make up for. Locking him in a secluded laundry room isn't exactly the best way to get him used to being around other beings when a pup that age should be sleeping in a pile with his brothers and sisters. I would get a crate, fill it with tons of stuffed animals and keep him in it beside your bed at night and when you can't watch him. The crate will work wonders with potty training!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts