Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I do not read very well, so maybe just send the fudge my way? ;)

Reactions: Phillyfisher

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Butter sides and bottom of a 13x9x2 pan

Ingredients:

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
4 cups sugar
1, 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla
1 2/3 cups pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)

Combine chocolate chips in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine evaporated milk, marshmallow creme, sugar and butter in a heavy 4-qt pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 8 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately add to chocolate chips in bowl, stirring until completely melted. Blend in vanilla and nuts. Pour mixture into a buttered 13x9x2 oblong pan. Cool. Makes 4 1/2 lbs.

I've made this every year for about 15 years. It never fails.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Here's my never fail peanut butter fudge recipe:
2 cups of sugar
2/3 cup of evaporated milk
cook over low heat, stirring often, to soft ball stage
Stir in a good sized dollop of peanut butter
pour into a buttered pan (9 inch square works, or a pie dish works really well!)
cool
cut
enjoy

·
Registered
200 Posts

Ingredients:

4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine chocolate chips in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine evaporated milk, marshmallow creme, sugar and butter in a heavy 4-qt pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 8 minutes. Remove from heat, immediately add to chocolate chips in bowl, stirring until completely melted. Blend in vanilla and nuts. Pour mixture into a buttered 13x9x2 oblong pan. Cool. Makes 4 1/2 lbs.

I have couple questions what is marshmallow creme? And what is the difference between semi chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Marshmallow creme is basically a jar of liquified marshmallows. You find it near the baking stuff. The difference between semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips is the sugar to cocoa percentages. For this recipe you MUST use both kinds. This was the recipe my grandma taught me 30 years ago this Christmas. I was 8 and it was the first thing I ever made that didn't come out of an easy bake oven :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks bentleys mum, you have been very helpful. Now Ill have to go hunt down the ingredients!! I hope they have marshmallow creme in Australia! Surely with globalization I must be able to get marshmallow creme. It sounds really yummy on it's own! Is it one of those ingreditions like condensed milk where you always save a little bit for yourself?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks bentleys mum, you have been very helpful. Now Ill have to go hunt down the ingredients!! I hope they have marshmallow creme in Australia! Surely with globalization I must be able to get marshmallow creme. It sounds really yummy on it's own! Is it one of those ingreditions like condensed milk where you always save a little bit for yourself?

My boyfriend's sister once bought some from a corner store in a tiny beach town where we go holidaying so surely they must have it somewhere in bigger towns ;)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I hear a bit of confusion here. This recipe calls for plain condensed milk NOT sweetened condensed milk. Plain condensed milk is not very much of a treat.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,605 Posts

Ingredients:

4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Sounds great!

The recipe I use only uses semi sweetened chocolate chips, a can of condensed sweeten milk, and a tsp. of vanilla. I melt the chips in the micorwave, then spread it in a container over waxed paper, referigate for a few hours, then cut it. You can add walnuts if you want. I usually make a batch without walnuts and one with.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I just made this and thought I'd ruined it when my 1 tsp of vanilla was "eyeballed" and came out to about 1/4 cup! It still tastes good though!! I also used only dark chocolate chips that also worked! Thanks for the recipe.

Regarding sweetened condensed milk-- you can probably emulate the consistency of marshmallow cream by heating a can of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated) with some marshmallows. There are some fudge recipes that use the sweetened condensed milk in lieu of the marshmallow cream.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I actually make a version similar to this but with Bailey's Irish Cream - wife LOVES Baileys. But it never really totally sets even if I try to freeze it. Any ideas? Very messy and gooey but she likes it so who am I to complain.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I actually make a version similar to this but with Bailey's Irish Cream - wife LOVES Baileys. But it never really totally sets even if I try to freeze it. Any ideas? Very messy and gooey but she likes it so who am I to complain.
Uh, dunno, but if you send me a sample I might be able to help. ;) Sounds delicious!!

·
Kate
21,676 Posts

That sounds like what usually happens when I try making fudge. :doh:

I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the temperature?

@Elizabeth - thanks for adding the recipe. I'm hoping to try it sometime this week. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You might try cutting the milk and leaving out the vanilla. I'm thinking too much liquid might be the problem. How much Bailey's are you adding?

·
Registered
200 Posts
My boyfriend's sister once bought some from a corner store in a tiny beach town where we go holidaying so surely they must have it somewhere in bigger towns ;)
Yeah, but I'm looking to get these ingredient's in Australia. Are yoy talking about your boyfriends sister being in Australia?

Thanks for clearing up the milk confusion for me penny's mum, since university is out for the year and I'm on holidays my brain seems to have checked out. Starting to think I over heated on one my bike rides in oz sun and my brain melted and dripped out my ears!!

I'm really keen to try out your recipe, but so far no luck finding marshmallow creme, but if Geenz was talking about in Oz then I'll have to keep hunting!! Otherwise I'll try Dallas holds suggestion. Thanks for the help Dallas gold I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts