Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many let their golden roam at home? No fence and no leash?

I was going to put up a fence for Hayden even though I have 2 acres and am surrounded by even more acres of land.. Hardly any cars ever go down the road and if they do they go slow since it's gravel.

The guy i'm buying the house off of told me to try to let her go without a fence - he does with his dogs and they do great. (even though his st benard ended up at my place the other day which is a mile away.. but I guess he just wanted to introduce himself to hayden)

So I tried it... She is actually doing VERY well! Granted I don't just let her out and walk back into the house. I either stand on the porch and tell her to go potty or she comes with me to feed the horse. If she starts to wander I call her back.

She actually saw some deer a day or two ago and took off. I called her name and she slid to a stop and ran back to me. :eek: I was VERY happy!!!!!

Tonight I was struggling with the hay bail and she apparently saw something and ran off into the woods. I kept calling for her while working on the stupid hay... but nothing. I then moved to feed the horse and she came running back.

Could this actually work? I wont ever just send her out and not pay attention to where she goes. I just don't trust her that much lol Once I get another dog i'll just sit outside while they play.
There is a fenced in area where the other people had goats.. so if I wanted to sleep they can go there and play (when it warms up)

Anyone else do this? Any down fall? Ever had them take off and not come back??

Hayden seems VERY needy of human contact. Don't think she'd ever go too far.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Nope. I'd never do it. Too risky. It's of of those things that seems to work fine, until the one critical time where it doesn't. As you've already discovered, it's easy for her to take off after something when you're distracted and not able to keep an eye on her.

I take my dog off leash on hikes and such when he is the sole focus of my attention. I wouldn't have him off leash in an unfenced area if I were busy doing other things.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Mine are never left out loose either, it is just not worth the risk. I don't even leave mine in my fenced yard for more then a few minutes if they are unattended since dogs can also go over, or under fences.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
Both my parents and me live on t least an acre of land with neighbors having the same or more than us. No one fences. I used a pet safe containment system for Lucky for added security to make sure he did not wonder off. He never did though. Most of my yorkies must be on leashes at all times. Roxy doesn't go more than 10 ft. from my side unless she runs and sits on the back porch at the dryer vent when it is running. She says it is her spa treatment.

Buddy will eventually go on the electric fence system like Lucky but that is months if nit years away til then leash at all times. He is a running, escape artist.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
I tried without a leash at home...worked for a while but Buzz started to roam over to the neighbors. I now leash him when working around the house.
When I walk in the woods, I do not leash him. His recall is wonderful. When I call, he immediately spins around and returns to me. (but he will not do this same behavior at home).
I take him horseback riding with me...stays close to the horse..comes when called.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
She needs to be trained off leash. Once that is accomplished she should be fine with you out there with her. With alot of land and critters to get the dogs attention, you might want to consider e collar training.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Sometimes a "teaser" coyote will lure a dog into the woods so the pack can do their thing. Hate to see your dog get near a bear mom with cubs too. Got porcupines, poisonous snakes, rabid animals? There is also the eau de skunk thing too. To much can happen in the blink of eye.

If I am working in the yard or sitting by the campfire in the inky black of night, my dog is on a long line. A dog can have great recall, but if your back is turned and you're not paying attention, they just keep going.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have 12 acres, but I do not let my dogs roam either. I have a huge fenced in yard in front of the house, they are mostly in there when outside. My golden and my lab mix are off leash when we go for a walk, the dachshund is on a leash (he cannot be trusted). My golden and lab mix won't take off at all. There were a few times when I forgot to shut one of the gates and they stayed right in the fenced in yard. I would not want to have the dogs outside the fence when a car approaches and is coming down the driveway. My dogs have no street smarts.
I don't believe in letting dogs roam.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Why not put in an underground fence? We have about 1 1/2 acres enclosed and it works great. Supervision is still required but it would give you added peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In Oklahoma we had quite a number of strays that were found running loose on acreage and went unclaimed...I wouldn't risk it.

·
Kate
21,691 Posts
If you are talking about off leash when I'm outside WITH my dogs... yep. I do it all the time. My dogs only get their collars put on when it's time to leave the property for a walk or going in the car. They both have solid obedience and even when they are having a deaf ear day, I am able to go running after them if need be.

Letting your dogs ROAM un-monitored. Never. That is irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We live in coyote country - I would never, never have Nugget without some sort of fencing. I've seen the best behaved obedient dogs bolt after a rabbit or get out of voice range.

Goldens have a great nose and paired with their inquisitive nature will sometimes catch a scent and follow it. It only takes one time and your precious baby can get into trouble.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I do not particular care for the underground fencing and invisible fencing. It may keep your pet in, but it does not keep unwanted dogs and or wildlife out.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I live in the middle of my in laws' 68 acres and my driveway is 1100 feet long. All of our dogs were trained to Invisible Fence...having said that only one of 6(the youngest) wears the collar. My dogs are afraid to cross the boundary even though they don't wear the collar. However, if I lived in a neighborhood, surrounded by children, all 6 would need collars, they are too social. My initial concern was that my dogs might run deer, which is something you can shoot a dog for in Maine. Basically, the dogs go out to do their business and come back in to sleep in the couch. My first golden, Sally, was amazing. If I visited my mom in Pa, whatever door I let her out of, she would come back to.(and the yard was not fenced)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have an acre of land and the dogs go either have the e collars on or I am out with them, rarely are they out there for an extended amount of time without someone watching them.

A couple times when they go out to potty they get sidetracked by a smell or sound but I just use the tone on the e collar to get their attention and call them back in.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My friend lost her dog 2 1/2 months ago, in a very familiar area that they had visited on a very regular basis, at least a couple of times a week or more for almost a year, close to a cabin that another friend resided in. On their last walk, her dog disappeared into the bushes, presumably on the trail of some wildlife (rabbit, deer) and has not been seen since. My friend never thought this could happen, Gracie always stuck close, but this ONE time, and she took off and was gone. Odds are we will never know what happened to Gracie. It is very tough to live with.... not knowing.
We continue to search.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I do not particular care for the underground fencing and invisible fencing. It may keep your pet in, but it does not keep unwanted dogs and or wildlife out.
Very true, and that's where the supervision comes in. Hank isn't out on that part of our property unless we're out, but it does give added peace of mind when we are. It's a lot better having that added protection so when/if they catch the scent of wildlife or see another dog they at least don't leave the property while the issue is dealt with.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Grace is a rescued show dog. When she is on the leash, she goes into the showring mode and her usual bubbling personality changes. She will not go potty on a leash and will hold it in until she is released. At home we never have her unattended in our small yard, but on our walks she heels with me off the leash. We have a lot of open fields where we live, and Grace loves to run free off the leash. We have strict leash laws in our area, but the local police just turn the other eye with Grace. I carry two leashes just in case we get reprimanded and another for any stray we may come across.
We never have her outside without her collar and tags. Inside the collar comes off.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
We have a fenced backyard, but Fin prefers the frontyard. Am I irresponsible for letting him loose out front? Some will say yes, of course! If I didn't have confidence in him out there it wouldn't happen.

We have a tiny, postage stamp lot in a subdivision and Fin sits on the front porch or lawn each morning after our 40min to hour long morning walk (also off leash for the most part) after his breakfast and just keeps an eye on the neighbourhood (while I get ready for work). He will watch dogs, kids, anyone walk by (sometimes just a few feet away) on the sidewalk and doesn't move without being told. I don't know why he's so good, we couldn't pay him to run away I don't think. He stops at the end of the sidewalk before crossing the street now without being asked and he waits to be released to cross.

Somedays when I have to go upstairs and can't pay attention to him as much I will put him in the backyard on his own, but just depends on the day! We have an iron gate at the side where he sits and watches the front, I swear he'd be an outdoor dog if he was allowed. At the cottage he is loose with my parents Golden, both off leash, and they just can't be bothered to go anywhere. We have cats in our neighbourhood and "wild" bunnies and Fin definitely watches them and is released to chase the bunnies sometimes (he doesn't have a hope in heck of getting near one) and the next thing I want to work on is him around horses, he's been great so far, but all on-leash and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Off leash is so dog dependant and owner dependant. There are posters above that probably have dogs better trained than ours and wouldn't let theirs off leash for the risks, but for us, we wouldn't do it if we didn't trust him and were comfortable with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts