Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since snow has been on the ground for several days its given me the opportunity to let Callie spend more time off leash. Mostly due to the fact see can't see all the stuff on the ground that she normally tries to eat. For the last three nights I took her out in the big field behind our house and every night its harder to get her back on the leash when we are done. Last night as I stood still in the middle of the field for ten minutes she was doing zoomies around me the whole time. I felt like a fool,,, good thing no one could see us.Guess we need to go back on leash since she's getting spoiled.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Yup. Just thinking about my own and how most of her exercise time is off-leash and thinking that that is maybe why she can be a pill on leash. She's wonderful off-leash though--great recall, sits and stays when I need her to...

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think maybe you may want to try putting her on leash and walking on leash for a few minutes and then let her off leash again. That way she doesn't associate "come" with the end of a fun time. I'm sure others will be more helpful!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Off leash time is a great time to work on recall. Have lots of treats and practice often. After a while she won't relate coming to having to leave.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Make sure once you get her back on the lease you don't go straight back home. Otherwise she will associate it with the end of playtime and not want to be on it!
Good luck.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Yup. Take a bunch of treats, call her, get her collar and feed her and then release again. That way she learns that 'come' means you want to get her close to you and feed her, not just take her home. You can do the same in the house, call her to get a treat, then release again. If you have to, you can attach a long length of string/clothesline to her collar (no loops to get caught and not overly long) and step on it if need be to keep her from the zoomies/running off.

Lana

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Kirby is good about coming when called, if she doesn't feel like it I show her the "cookie bag" and call - she comes right away.

Darby is a different story - he could care less about cookies. He will just take off and come when he feels like it, unless I just happen to have his "chuck it" ball in my pocket. Work like a charm, he can't resist a ball especially that one.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
We take our 3 guys to the park down the street and allow them about 20 minutes of off leash time..right now the snow is so deep that they can't go anywhere too fast!!! We practice recalls 4 or 5 times while there (we are actually whistle training them as well). On the last one, we hook them up and take them for about a 30 to 45 minute walk. This way they don't pout about having to go home and get some more family togetherness (or just more opportunity to sniff and pee on everything).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
At 2 years old Mad has a good recall, but it's still something we practice during every off leash outing, rewarding with lots of excitement and treats. I too always try not to go straight home after I've called her back to go on leash. On the days we do have to go straight home I play a little game of tug with her on leash before we go.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Have you thought about a long line? I use that a lot with Bogey whose recall is less than stellar. It still gives him some freedom but I have the control. And it's great fun to practice. I stand on the end of the leash and let him explore and then randomly call him to come and give a treat. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Off leash recall takes a lot of time and practice. Sounds like you've got a golden opportunity to work on it now. Take advantage of it!

One of our members, FlyingQuizini wrote a great article about training your dog to come when off leash.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-18986-San-Fernando-Valley-Dogs-Examiner~y2009m8d26-Training-your-dog-to-come-when-called

I have found her tips and suggestions to be extremely useful when training Rookie to come. I can get him to do a 180 and come flying to me when I call him... even at the dog park!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Off leash is great for us, we have some off-leash dog parks, so it is fenced. I take my Buehrle almost every day, but he also gets trained on a leash every day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow folks some real simple stuff I never thought of before. I especially like the don't go home right away part. Da I guess my dog is smarter than I am LOL. I do use a long rope in the yard to practice the recalls

1 - 14 of 14 Posts