Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have posted before that we have a 300 acre park one block away from us. In winter they close off the roads and many, many people do not go out. You tend to see just dog people, many, many that I have experience with and are very comfortable with off leash dogs.

I have taught a new command, both arms in the air means get your butt back here right now and the bumpasses have been very good with it.

But a couple of weeks ago, we met a new guy and we were coming over the ridge and he had two Chows on leash. As Kimm hates *** I hate that he called me the C word and SCREAMED get those dogs on a leash. I rased my arms, they came back and I was afraid I would have to explain how bad the C Word was to my babies.

I have seen him two other times and the bumpasses come back when I raise my arms. Let me mention his dogs seem very sweet.In my experience Chow owners can be nervous for good reason.

So here is the crux of the story. Today I saw him, going through the park and he had his wife with him. I raised my arms and the bumpasses were back in a heartbeat. The wife was very sweet, she said we should let them meet, are your dogs friendly? I looked right in his eyes and said they are very friendly.

But Abby and Finn ran right on by. Not doing that with that A-hole.

The wife said "don't your dogs like to play with other dogs?" for one of those seconds I almost called him out, but then decided to take the high road.

But I chuckled for the rest of the walk.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Wow the C word. What a lowlife scum. Good for Abby and Finn. I hope they flipped him off as they ran by. You should have said something to his wife. A bet she would be mortified at her husband's language.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I would deck any person, male or female, who called me the C word, and I surely would've told his wife about that little incident. The bumpasses are very good pups for their prompt return to raised arms; I use one raised arm, and my Finn (the crack head) has been blowing me off by taking his sweet time and being easily diverted for a few weeks. Good for you for taking the high road; I would've been jailed for assault!!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You are alot more tackful than I would have been. I would have said to her when the dogs ran by her not stopping. "I am sorry but my dogs dont like to play when their Mom is called the "C" word by your dogs' dad." And then walked off. That is one of the worst words that anyone can call a woman. Shows the type of person he was. Rude, ignorant and foulmouthed.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Have to agree. I wouldn't have been irate when speaking with the wife, since it's not her fault her husband's a jerk. But I definitely would have said something along the lines of: "Well your husband made it clear, by calling me a VERY foul name, that he doesn't want my dogs anywhere near your dogs."

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
oh goodness, the C word is one that I don't even say, and I let them fly sometimes!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I hope one day on a later walk he "mans up" and apologizes to you. Chows as a breed are not dog-friendly, from what I understand, especially towards the same sex, and as you said, and I agree, Chow owners do have good reason to be especially vigilant with their dogs.

The Chow owner didn't know how reliable your dogs were off leash, and not to excuse his language, because there is no excuse for it, I'm sure he reacted in a fit of panic. He could have used a better word, or words, of warning. In all fairness to him, if a golden, or a pair of goldens were to have approached his Chows, and his Chows responded with a bite, who would have been at fault? The Chows for biting or the goldens for being off leash? The local newspapers would have nailed the Chows--and us golden owners, we would be given a freer pass, since our breed has such a wonderful reputation. So he has a right to be wary, but to not use such foul language. We also should be vigilant about how our breed comes across to people who own "more dominant" breeds--I admire your work in having your goldens be so reliable off leash; I believe most people (and I'm including myself) would have to have their goldens on a long lead since many can't handle distractions--and that includes other dogs.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
I would venture to guess that, even though you did not call this jerky boy out, his "backside" might have been contracting at the thought of his wife finding out he spoke out his said "backside," and hopefully will think twice before doing so again.:no:

WTG Bumpasses.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't doubt that if he called you that, that he has called his wife that.

What great dogs you have! I have been working on the "check in" command with my dogs when they are off-leash. Danny has it down pat, Jasper is right behind him. Jasmine dilly dallies, as usual.

·
rose
497 Posts
he woud have had a very hard knuckle sandwich if he had called me that in fact he may have been laid there a very long time cos he sure as hell wouldnt have got up in a hurry not to mention he would have had various parts of his anatomy rearranged by my steel toecap boot

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Have to agree. I wouldn't have been irate when speaking with the wife, since it's not her fault her husband's a jerk. But I definitely would have said something along the lines of: "Well your husband made it clear, by calling me a VERY foul name, that he doesn't want my dogs anywhere near your dogs."
Same here. I understand completely that he didn't want off leash dogs running up to his but that is not excuse for calling you that.

Well done for the great recall training!

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Just goes to show what a great judge of character the dogs are! They know a jerk when they hear one. HA!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope one day on a later walk he "mans up" and apologizes to you. Chows as a breed are not dog-friendly, from what I understand, especially towards the same sex, and as you said, and I agree, Chow owners do have good reason to be especially vigilant with their dogs.

The Chow owner didn't know how reliable your dogs were off leash, and not to excuse his language, because there is no excuse for it, I'm sure he reacted in a fit of panic. He could have used a better word, or words, of warning. In all fairness to him, if a golden, or a pair of goldens were to have approached his Chows, and his Chows responded with a bite, who would have been at fault? The Chows for biting or the goldens for being off leash? The local newspapers would have nailed the Chows--and us golden owners, we would be given a freer pass, since our breed has such a wonderful reputation. So he has a right to be wary, but to not use such foul language. We also should be vigilant about how our breed comes across to people who own "more dominant" breeds--I admire your work in having your goldens be so reliable off leash; I believe most people (and I'm including myself) would have to have their goldens on a long lead since many can't handle distractions--and that includes other dogs.
I totally agree, I should have been in front to have seen him. But Abby and Finn never approached his dogs, I got the feeling he was just crusty.

What killed me was the big smile he had on his face to his wife, like oh, I am such a great, happy guy! HA!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to ask - wth does bumpasses mean?
Remember in "A Christmas Story" when the hounds steal the turkey off the table and ran out the door with it. They were the Bumpasses' dogs. And when Finn was a pup, and Abby was still quite young, NOTHING WAS SAFE ON ANY COUNTERTOP or shelf. So the name came up one day after a particularly bad grab and has stuck.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
So I have posted before that we have a 300 acre park one block away from us. In winter they close off the roads and many, many people do not go out. You tend to see just dog people, many, many that I have experience with and are very comfortable with off leash dogs.

I have taught a new command, both arms in the air means get your butt back here right now and the bumpasses have been very good with it.

But a couple of weeks ago, we met a new guy and we were coming over the ridge and he had two Chows on leash. As Kimm hates *** I hate that he called me the C word and SCREAMED get those dogs on a leash. I rased my arms, they came back and I was afraid I would have to explain how bad the C Word was to my babies.

I have seen him two other times and the bumpasses come back when I raise my arms. Let me mention his dogs seem very sweet.In my experience Chow owners can be nervous for good reason.

So here is the crux of the story. Today I saw him, going through the park and he had his wife with him. I raised my arms and the bumpasses were back in a heartbeat. The wife was very sweet, she said we should let them meet, are your dogs friendly? I looked right in his eyes and said they are very friendly.

But Abby and Finn ran right on by. Not doing that with that A-hole.

The wife said "don't your dogs like to play with other dogs?" for one of those seconds I almost called him out, but then decided to take the high road.

But I chuckled for the rest of the walk.
To be completely honest I don't trust Chow's AT ALL!! I've met a few of them and have yet to have a great experience with them. They are very snippy and seem apt to explosive temper tantrums for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Well, I'm proud to report that I have WV Bumpasses who also respond with a perfect recall to the raising of arms!
I grew up with a stealth Chow who lived under a neighbor's shrub hedge and scared the bejeezus out of me routinely, so I do avoid them.
WTG Abby and Finny for your disdain of the C-word man....jacka$$ :slapcry:

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
I would have taken the opportunity to explain to her exactly what happened prior with him. Why spare his feelings or try to not cause him problems? F him

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I would have taken the opportunity to explain to her exactly what happened prior with him. Why spare his feelings or try to not cause him problems? F him
:p: Tell us how you really feel, Patty, rofl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts