Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I waited nearly 6 weeks from when the images were taken to when I got the results, but the long wait is finally over. The elbows were easy for me to evaluate, but I couldn't tell what the hips would go as. The vet thought Good, I thought Fair or Mild and most opinions floated between Good and Fair. While I'm very happy he passed, I wouldn't be lying if I said I was a little disappointed they didn't go Good.

Edit: hips Fair, elbows Normal

Sleeve Gesture Grey Style Rectangle

Sleeve Grey Font Sportswear Medical

Human body Textile Font Grey Symmetry

The radiographs for your viewing pleasure!

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
I realize I forgot to add them to the original post, yep the hips went Fair
In terms of "fair" hips that I've seen - these do not look that bad. Believe they are fair because of the right hip.

Could positioning have helped get you a "good"? Maybe.

Passing is good. You've got that elephant off your back and you can focus on having fun in conf and agility and everything else you want to do. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In terms of "fair" hips that I've seen - these do not look that bad. Believe they are fair because of the right hip.

Could positioning have helped get you a "good"? Maybe.

Passing is good. You've got that elephant off your back and you can focus on having fun in conf and agility and everything else you want to do. ;)
His breeder wants us to have them redone because she thinks with better positioning they will go Good as well. I’m happy they’re not dysplastic but when we have the time, we’ll try again and see if positioning really does make any difference.

We just have the cardiac eval left and we’re going to try to get that done at the national. I’m glad I don’t have to dread OFA radiographs anymore 🤣

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
That's a pass .. woohoo :) Always a relief when that come back :)

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
His breeder wants us to have them redone because she thinks with better positioning they will go Good as well.
I thought OFA would not evaluate the same dog's hips or elbows again (other than for prelims and then finals).

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
I thought OFA would not evaluate the same dog's hips or elbows again (other than for prelims and then finals).
New X Rays need to be taken for resubmission, but yes a dog can have X Rays resubmitted. If the positioning was off on the first set, it would probably be best to bring the dog somewhere different or perhaps have the XRays done under sedation if no sedation was used.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can resubmit since positioning can make a big difference. These images really aren’t bad at all, outside of a slight pelvic tilt which -might- make a difference or it might not. But there’s a saying that you can make bad hips look good but you can’t make good hips look bad.

In the end, his hips are so that even with imaging this close to perfect they’re scoring fair. If he had excellent hip conformation, it wouldn’t matter, a beautiful hip is obvious almost despite positioning. I would bet that the DI on that right hip is above breed average, maybe .55-.65

·
Registered
271 Posts
I actually don't think the positioning looks that bad, but it's hard to say if a repeat couldn't look better. The kneecaps look about where I think they are supposed to? My dog was tilted almost diagonally (he's..very energetic and was not sedated)...to the point where someone who saw them advised that I not send them in 😬 (it was too late and the vet had already sent them to OFA), but apparently, OFA can read them anyway. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually don't think the positioning looks that bad, but it's hard to say if a repeat couldn't look better. The kneecaps look about where I think they are supposed to? My dog was tilted almost diagonally (he's..very energetic and was not sedated)...to the point where someone who saw them advised that I not send them in 😬 (it was too late and the vet had already sent them to OFA), but apparently, OFA can read them anyway. 🤪
My feeling is always that an excellent hip is an excellent hip! No matter the positioning.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
Thanks for the replies about resubmitting!

Reactions: AmberSunrise
1 - 17 of 17 Posts