Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

My family has had two amazing Goldens in the past. Unfortunately, we lost our beautiful girl Daizy at age 12 to cancer recently. We have been looking for responsible breeders and are eager to bring a new family member home in the future. It is super important to us that our future dog be healthy (since we want as much time as possible with our baby), but finding a breeder who does all the appropriate health testing on the dam and sire has proven to be much more difficult that we thought!

My question is: what is the difference between OFA eye testing and PRA clearance? In the sense that, if the dam and sire have PRA clearances but have not had their eyes tested by OFA, is that good enough for the puppy's eyes to be considered healthy?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Hey there!

My family has had two amazing Goldens in the past. Unfortunately, we lost our beautiful girl Daizy at age 12 to cancer recently. We have been looking for responsible breeders and are eager to bring a new family member home in the future. It is super important to us that our future dog be healthy (since we want as much time as possible with our baby), but finding a breeder who does all the appropriate health testing on the dam and sire has proven to be much more difficult that we thought!

My question is: what is the difference between OFA eye testing and PRA clearance? In the sense that, if the dam and sire have PRA clearances but have not had their eyes tested by OFA, is that good enough for the puppy's eyes to be considered healthy?

Thanks!
Unfortunately no :( There are more issues that Goldens have with their eyes than PRA. Juvenile cataracts is one that comes to mind.

An OFA clearance mean that the dog's eyes were checked by a canine ophthalmologist and deemed free of issue. A PRA clearance means that the genetic test showed that a dog does not have that specific PRA gene.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Lots of eye conditions while thankfully we've pretty much knocked PRA out of the field in the last 15 years. I see carriers now and then but rarely hear of an affected. Anyway- no - the eye exam is needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts