Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odin had a very quick vet visit this am. where the vet was able to elicit extreme pain response in his upper leg, shoulder. So, back for x-rays under sedation/anesthetic tomorrow. Good news would be torn ligament... He's not weight bearing on his leg even with pain medication. I'm just a bit distraught.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
Prayers for good news from the vet for Odin. The wait is so scary. Will add the both of you to our prayers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,649 Posts
Awww, it's awful when they hurt. Heaps of hoping it's just a strain and easily healed, please keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I haven't updated. I had a class right after I picked him up last night. It looks like sprained or torn ligament...no sign of Osteo in the x-ray. But, his pain level is very high...and the search I did on here brought up another similar case where the first x-rays were clear, next weeks not. I know it's quite easy to strain ligaments, and it hurts like blly-o...but I can't think of any time he's come up limping...just got up Saturday morning limping. Five days of Metacam, plus Tramadol and his pain seems to be increasing not decreasing. My gut is still telling me worry, although the vet says don't. Just too much recently. If we had ticks here I'd be thinking Lymes...but no ticks, and blood work is good.

If anyone's had a dog with shoulder ligament damage/repair/whatever I'm open to suggestions/advice, anything to stop him yelping every time he moves. Lying is uncomfortable, so is standing. Sitting impossible. Driving him out of town to a specialist would be hell. Not sure where to go or what to do just now. Wait 10 days to see if things improve before referral, might be too late. There was not one sign of arthritis in his 11 year old joint...it was perfect.

I'm flip flopping here...going between waiting and checking further.(That's what you get for researching.) He's in so much pain I don't want to watch them messing with it. But I do want him fixed in time to enjoy fall.
 

·
shadow friend
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd think second opinion. If you aren't comfortable with what the vet told you and adding the fact that he's a senior - I'd listen to your heart. I guess the question is, what is peace of mind worth to you? (in extra vet bills) If something is nagging you that the vet is wrong - and it does sound like your dog is in terrible pain - I'd trust my instincts if I were you. Good luck and I hope whatever it is can be treated and he's feeling better soon!
 

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
Joined
·
16,457 Posts
no sign of Osteo in the x-ray.
Those are some mighty wonderful words. . . but I know what you mean when you continue to worry any way bc the dog's pain is out of proportion to a strain or sprain. I went through an osteo panic with Finn, and it turned out his spine was causing the limp. Of course, we didnt think to xray his spine for quite a while, so the fear went on and on. Could it be his back/neck/nerves?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could it be his back/neck/nerves?
Good thoughts there. The vet did check his spine, neck, lymph nodes, all his joints, the only time he cried out was the top of his leg, and the shoulder joint. She manipulated his spine and neck extensively, nothing. Except when the manipulation put pressure on his front leg. She even checked his teeth and ears under anesthetic for infection that might have spread. She was pretty thorough. But, he is hanging his head, and tail. Hasn't really wagged his tail since Saturday, which could be pain in general, or spine.

With Finn, were x-rays adequate to show the problem...dye, MRI or CT scan? Any information you'd be willing to share would be appreciated. I could just be overly sensitive right now. Trying to cut the emotion and see reality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
Is the vet a orthopedic vet? If not, then I think I would go to an ortho vet and get a second opinion. If the pain seems to be getting worse with the meds, then I would get that second opinion. It would give you some peace of mind.
Not trying to scare you but I remember another member here thinking something was wrong with their dog and the vet didnt think it was and she took him for a second opinion and they found the problem. It was not terminal but there was something there. And one member's vet said they couldnt help her dog with a tumor in the ear but she went to another vet and they tried some new meds and did a procedure and he is alot better.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top