Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of your dogs release their anal sacs during their sleep?

Toby was sleeping while I was reorganizing a bookcase. I smelled the unmistakable odor of an anal sac release :yuck:. I looked at Toby and he was asleep, but then he woke up and his sniffer went to work. He looked at me with a questioning look :confused:, then started sniffing the air, then he got up, sniffed the floor, still looking confused, and then it dawned on him :doh::uhoh: as he sniffed his rear end! :uhoh::eek: The look on his face was priceless! He is my diva dog and tries not to get dirty or muddy--and he does not like the smell of his anal sac fluid either! I cleaned him up and he is a happy camper again! :)

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
I don't think Gunner does it in his sleep although a couple of times he was laying down and jumped up, twirled around and started sniffing. He is more of a scooter. I'm pretty lucky as I haven't noticed a bad smell from his.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Old Woody seems to do quite a bit of scooting around on the rug and even outside on the lawn. I haven't noticed any foul odors though.

He's due for his check up this month and it's one of the things on my list I want to talk to the vet about....is he doing this too much? Does he need to be expressed? It seems to me there was some talk on this board about it not being good for the dog to be intentionally expressed?

Thanks for any information,

Pete

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
**** lets his go when he is scared..he is scared all the time. He was named for the rockstar, however, we usually call him, Mouse, for Mickey Mouse because he is so weenie. My husband threatens to remove them all of the time!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Maggie has released hers several times when scared ( mostly when she was younger), but the others haven't. Thank goodness!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never owned a dog that released them in their sleep before. I guess I'll chalk it up to a doggie nightmare. Poor boy!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
It's the terrorist squirrel Anne. Poor Tobes!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
I'm afraid

I'm afraid to open this can of worms!! What does the realease of the anal sac smell like?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts