Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm delighted to welcome Sadie, a 5 year old rescue, into my home and life. I've noticed that she has an odd sit with her rear legs splayed out. Hopefully it shows up in the attached photos. Both feet point out - it's not a leaning-to-one-side type of sit. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Is this a concern, or just the way she's built? IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think she wasn't taught a tight sit. A lot of dogs sit like that. It's fine as long as you don't plan to show in obedience.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I'd be more concerned with gait, going up and down stairs, any signs of a limp, or pressure along her spine or joints that would cause her to sit. Functionally how is she doing! And BTW so pleased you have adopted a rescue. It is a true labor of love. Sadie is a cutie pie!

·
Registered
219 Posts
My girl has sat like this her whole life, in fact, I'd say her splay is worse (see pic). She IS capable of sitting straight/square if I ask her to. She has multiple agility titles and at almost 9 can still run my 4 year old into the ground. Unless you are seeing other issues, I don't think it's worth worrying about.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Even if you show in obedience it’s not a deduction if she’s straight and in heel position. Lots of dogs are taught a tight tuck sit when their puppies. It’s a style thing. Who cares? Sadie is adorable. She’s lucky to have found you, enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My lab was similar. I worked with her a bit to try to tighten it up but the splay was her default. She didn’t seem bothered by it. She lived to be almost 15 and it never caused her problems.
Like everyone else said if she doesn’t seem uncomfortable, I wouldn’t worry.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, for setting my mind at ease. She doesn't seem troubled by it at all, or have any sort of limp or strange gait. I can't believe my good fortune at having found her!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts