Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really enjoying the forum. My lovable little girl is almost 8 months and I recently took her to our Vet due to an occasional limp after playing. The Vet did x-ray both elbows, hip and pelvis. His diagnosis was probable left elbow dysplasia or OCD. He also suggested medication and/or surgery asap. Now she has improved in the last 2 weeks as I am monitoring her activities that include jumping. (Difficult as she plays with my Lab.) Anyone experienced this problem with their puppy? She is a happy, healthy and pain-free puppy right now.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Can you get her to a canine orthopaedist? They will be able to give you the best advice...

This is one of those times where 'wait and see' really limits what can be done - surgery is not an option for some forms of elbow dysplasia after a certain age....so do your best not to delay...

There are some dogs on the forum that have undergone elbow surgery...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My advice "if" it is ED, do not do surgery now. See if you can not manage it some how. Surgery for elbow dysplasia is NOT a one time surgery. Usually you need to repeat it so wait as LONG as you can. If your dog is in PAIN then that is a different story. Pano is an option with young dogs too. They usually grow out of that.

I have an ED dog. We manage her with weight control, we keep her thin, moderate exercise, joint supplements, salmon oil (has natural anti-inflammatory properties) and she gets Adequan injections monthly. I am trying to stay away from NSAID's as long as possible. She was dx a year ago at the age of 2. She had a total hip replacement (HD too) so surgery is probably not an option for her. We will see as the years pass, but since we started her on the salmon oil and Adequan, she has not limped (knock on wood). You may not want to do the Adequan with your young dog, but I bet there are management processes you can do for now. Do start on joint supplements. They can never hurt.

Ann

1 - 6 of 6 Posts