Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I addressed this question a while back but it's gotten to be a real pain and I know through your help the girls are going through a phase (hopefully). I just want to know if there is any correct way to handle this. Ok, I often take both girls for a mile walk twice a day. Then I started taking them one at a time because Karma would stop and refuse to walk any further so I took her home and KD and I finished our walk. Well now KD is doing it. They sit down and just look @ me like I have two heads. I know they love their walks - I tug and call them in every stupid voice imaginable but no luck.

About two weeks ago we started taking them for their evening walk down by the river in a dog friendly park and they loved it. They actually go to the car door, something they would shy away from in the past, when we take our evening walk. I am wondering if they are saying "no, I want to go to the park" "i'm not going to go on this dull walk today." My God it's getting annoying. Once I get them out it's hard to get them home. While fooling with the one that stops I turn only to find the leash on the other is tangled under their legs. Any suggestions?:mad:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Walking two dogs can be challenging and I'll have to think a bit about the first part of your question. But the best thing I have found is to connect two 6' leashes together at the handle to make a 12' leash with two clips. I find it works much easier than trying to keep two 6' leashes from getting tangled under the dogs legs. It takes a bit to used to but is works well for me.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I have dealt with this as well. I found that Amber was getting bored with the same old walk every day after day for months. I found that by changing up the route and doing something different on a daily basis it totally eliminated this issue. I can understand why she would get bored with it, heck I was bored with going in the same direction on the same path with same the sights and smells everyday. Taking her out to the park every other day, going to town and walking around on the sidewalks at night, going out in the fields in a different direction and areas every day, going in different routes around our neighborhood and going on hikes at the local park were ways I helped eliminate the boredom issue. With dogs as intelligent as ours, they really thrive on intelectual stimulii and by changing up where you go on your walks, taking different routes and by going to entirely different places really helps keep them sharp and enjoy being out with you which also increases the bond they share with you, which in the end helps both of you love going on outtings with each other even more! Some breeds of dogs seem happy to go on the same old walk they have for the last number of years but it seems those that thrive on different and new stimulus need things to be changed up now and then. I know Amber loves going in the car just b/c she never knows where we are going to end up and that where ever we do end up she's going to really enjoy the walk.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, they are one year this week. I believe you are correct when you say they are bored because we do go the same routes - in my neighbourhood there are only so many ways we can go to avoid high traffic. But now that you mentioned it, they seem excited to begin their walk then stop and sit when we chose a route. I stop with them and plead "come on girl, lets go for a walk" and they just sit there. Then I say, "do you want to go home." They are up and headed back home. We have probably spoiled them with the even walk @ the river park where there are other dogs and lots of people plus different textures to walk on (wood, concrete, grass) - it's by the river with a cool breeze blowing. They absolutely love it and act like it's the first time they have ever been for a walk. You confirmed my suspicion that it's boredom. Now what, I can't take them to the park until my wife gets home from work and we go about 6PM. Thinking out loud. thanks so much - getting their morning walk gave me a few hours of peace while they slept from 11-2pm - I could actually get stuff done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fearful golden

If they are stopping in the same area every time they may fear something in the upcoming vicinity. My dog did this during the fall. He would only take a left out of my driveway. If I tried to force him to go right he would sit and refuse to move. I later found out we had a fox family in the woods to the right of my house. This behavior only lasted a month or two.
This is also a summer behavior for him. We could be two houses or two miles from my house and he would abruptly turn and want to run home. I assume it was due to thunder or fireworks in the distance that I couldn't hear. You also mentioned they pull to the car. My dog finds safety in my car. During thunderstorms he wants to sleep in the car.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts