Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I currently have a 5 1/2 year old Golden, Dr. Watson, whom I love very much. He is not from the best of breeders however, and lacks drive and doesn't swim. He's a sweetheart. He's soon going to have surgery for an extra-hepatic shunt. My previous Golden, Mr. Holmes, was my 2nd Golden. He was BYB, but a fantastic red dawg. Dynamic, assertive, loved people and other dogs. He's my standard by which I judge other dogs.

So that's by way of a bit of introduction. I plan on getting a new pup in 2013. I am looking throughout the States and Canada although I live in Vermont. I am looking for a red, fieldy type -- a dynamic, drivey, naughty boy! I am looking forward to agility or OB and also AKC Hunt test. But mostly I want a dog who will enjoy the great outdoors with me. And a long-lived Golden -- my first 2 Goldens lived to 13.

Right now, I have a list of 19 breeders who look good to me -- do the proper clearances, appear to raise puppies well, etc. There does seem to be quite a bit of linebreeding in field dogs. Can anyone suggest what to watch for, suggested breeders, etc. :wave:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Other than the usual 4 clearances, PRA optigen testing is a must do. Too bad you want a fieldy dog as I could give you many names in VT who either have conformation dogs or multipurpose...

Reactions: drloripalooza

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I am looking for a red, fieldy type -- a dynamic, drivey, naughty boy! I am looking forward to agility or OB and also AKC Hunt test. But mostly I want a dog who will enjoy the great outdoors with me. And a long-lived Golden -- my first 2 Goldens lived to 13.
Sunfire! Sunfire! Sunfire!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I agree about Sunfire, and there are two good breeders of red naughty beauties who draw on those lines as well - Windrush in NY and Sand Dancer in Maine.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Is this along the lines of what you're looking for in a dog? (using the terms you did - dynamic, drivey, NAUGHTY, spunky ;))

BTW don't judge the dog by his performance, it was only his third time ever doing a figure 8. Just giving you an idea of what he's like in general

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have nothing to add to this thread, other than Jodie, I love the way you and Flip work together. He just loves you, and loves doing what you do with him. It is so evident in that video. All dogs deserve a relationship like that with their owner.

OP - I hope you find the dog you are looking for. The people here have so much knowledge, I am sure that if you follow their advice you will find exactly what you want. We have a naughty dog, but he has a conformance background. He drives us crazy at times, but I love that he is naughty. He really makes us laugh. Good luck with your search. Welcome!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I have met two Gaylan's dogs and they are both fantastic! My trainer owns them both. Wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have nothing to add to this thread, other than Jodie, I love the way you and Flip work together. He just loves you, and loves doing what you do with him. It is so evident in that video. All dogs deserve a relationship like that with their owner
aw, that might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said! Thanks!

Reactions: Phillyfisher

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My Laney was from a Gaylan's line dam. Energy to boot and a lot of fun to train. However, she was neither red nor tall... But she had red litter mates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PRA optigen testing

Is this a test for Field dogs or all Golden's?
I am in the process of getting a puppy, and haven't heard of this.
Thanks!
kimmysq

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Technically all Goldens should be tested, but there are certain field ones that had issues... You can search it on goggle, because those breeders have been very forthcoming.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loisiana, wonderful dog!

I will check back through the kennels I am looking at to make sure of the PRA optigen test.

Gaylan's of course, looks fantastic, but they rarely sell to non-performance homes -- I am new to having a performance dog -- and their dogs are actually a little light for my taste. I prefer the historical look of the reds, less block-headed, more gracile, etc. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts