Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else got a pup that is obsessed with mobs and brushes? Cooper barks at the brush and the mop every time i go to sweep up. He also runs away with the hair brush every time he sees it and has ate a couple of mops! My little girl has a snow white doll with the seven dwarfs, he also runs away with the dwarfs every time he see them, but leaves the other toys alone, its really funny.

What things does everyone elses dog like to chew?

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Kia hates our vacuum cleaner, I think it was the first thing she ever barked at...
Maybe she thinks it's some huge noisy animal who came to claim her territory :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Clancy used to be terrified of the ironing board. Pull it out and he would be cowering behind the bed shaking. It ws pathetic.

He is obsessed with getting as many socks in his mouth at once as he can possible fit in there. Leave socks on the floor in our house and they become his.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Underwear too...

The sock eating is hillarious! Kia has never really been soooo interested in socks - I mean she used to pull some out of the laundry room (only the used ones of course and sometimes even used underwear :eek:), but not so much anymore. When she was still a puppy, she LOVED to play with my hair ties, carefully pulled them from my hair and ran away to play with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ratty play

When I first introduced my pet Rat Monty to my pup Ripley it was the funniest sight ever!!! You should have seen the fuss she made. She was actually scared of this tiny little creature 1/20th her size! She would bounce around him then come hide behind me. The funniest thing was that Monty showed NO fear. He puts his head in Ripley's mouth when she yawns. It is so cute now they are used to each other....Monty rides around on Ripley's back and they groom each other! It's so precious :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats quite a unique friendship, a dog and a rat! Have you any pictures of them? My son wants a hamster, but i am too scared that Cooper would eat it :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do actually but the files are too big to post here I think. If anyone can tell me how to post larger files, I'll make sure I do this. Judging by your photo Cooper is a little bit older than my Ripley. So if you got a Hampster, there is a good chance he'll hurt it because they weren't introuced at a young age. Just supervise them together at all times. Introduce them in short sessions at first, 5mins at the most. If Cooper behaves, praise him ALOT. If he tries to nip or bite or is playing too rough, a firm NO and put the hampster away. After a while they will be good friends! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think if you send your pictures to Joe (admin) he will resize it for you. As for Cooper, well he is seven months old now, i think he may be a little old to be introduced to a hamster! I had a cat which he started to get on with, but it has disappeared :(. The only other animal he has met (except dogs) was a horse in a field one day, but i think Cooper realised who was boss there! He chases birds every time he sees them, so i think i will wait until his puppy stage is over before getting a hamster (for safety reasons!!!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Smart dog! I think Monty would have tried to take the horse on, hehehe. He just has no idea how small and fragile he really is. Heart of a lion that one. Hopefully Cooper wasn't responsible for your cat's disapperance :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last year we were walking on the beach here in Toronto and there was a police horse walking on the sand (with a policeman riding on top :D) and Kia was quite interested in the horse, but a bit intimidated because of his size. All of a sudden, a dog came running over (smaller than Kia in size) and started ATTACKING the horse!!! It was horrible, because the horse didn't want to hurt the dog by kicking it, but the dog started biting the horse's leg! Finally the policeman tried to scare the dog off with his little whip (don't know how the thing is called exactly). The owner of the dog was nowhere to be found. :mad:

That's my little horse/dog story... :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor horse!! I wish i had a beach to walk along, i'm jealous!! We have a beach about 30 miles away, but it is always too cold to go to it and it is not very nice. I will have to take Cooper for a swim in the sea in the summer time though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Beaches Beaches everywhere

I am lucky enough to live about 10mins from the beach. In fact, the whole of the Gold Coast is surrounded by beaches. Basically every part of Australia that is populated has a beach nearby. We have a few 'off the leash' beaches which are just wonderful. All the dogs run around and splash in the water together.....Very Cute! No horses though =P hehhe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Please believe me when I say that the beaches in Toronto do not even come close to being compared to beaches in Australia. Talk about comparing apples to oranges!!!

The beaches in Toronto are virtually unswimmable due to pollution. They're nice to walk along with your dog, or go for a bike ride, but they're not for swimming. Lake Ontario (which is the body of water that Toronto is on) is huge, actually it's one of the "Great Lakes", however, it's surrounded by industry. Toronto, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Hamilton (Canada's version of New Jersey) have all polluted the lake to the point where there is nothing left alive in it. It's become just a body of water used for industry and energy production. :mad:

So, again, it's nice to walk along, but when anyone from Toronto talks about walks at the beach, please try not to envision a gorgeous ocean with white powder sand. It's unfortunately not the case.

Sorry for being so crude and gross. I find the whole thing very upsetting. But I guess that's another topic for another board somewhere else! :eek:

Anyone on an ocean coast is very lucky. I envy you tremendoulsy. Mind you, if I lived along an ocean coast, I'd have plenty of trouble getting my butt in to work everyday!

Happy trails,
Bonni

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I agree with Bonni, although there are some places where water doesn't seem so bad and it's still on lake Ontario. Kia would be swimming there for hours and we wouldn't be able to get her out and really, we never had a single problem.

Just wanted to say, it's not all that bad. I know, communities around the Lake Ontario use basin water for drinking, bathing, and other household uses, plus as Bonni already mentioned all of the industry around the lake...
It probably creates a great place for bacteria, viruses, protozoas such as Cryptosporidium and all kinds of microbial contaminants which may come from sewage treatment plants, septic systems, agricultural livestock operations and wildlife... but still, all this said, we never had a problem to let Kia swim at it. Even I swimmed at lake ontario couple of times and I am still alive :)

Plus, it's being said there are some programs in effect relevant to the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement which unless states otherwise should provide safe enviroment for swimmers.

But I know, it simply cannot be compared to some lakes north of Toronto, where you'll be canoeing and see the bottom of the lake, couple of meters below.

Bon, have you been to Georgian Bay or Cyprus Lake, that area has very nice lakes... Maybe we could go for camping together with Mark.

Also lakes in Algonquin, we go there for camping every year for last 6-7 years (sometime more than once) and water in some places is so clean you can drink it. I know some people would boil it first, but I many times didn't and never had a problem.

Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cooper always barks at the window cleaner, but when the window cleaner opens the gate and comes in, Cooper runs over wagging his tail, glad i did not buy him as a guard dog. He never barks back at any dog that barks at him. Every morning when we walk up to the school a little terrier barks at him like mad. Cooper just looks at him and every day i say to him bark back you big wimp!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
That is really funny Diana. I think they just want to be the bigger dog in the barking situation :D ...
Kia has had some unpleasant experiences with small dogs - one especially crazy dog (his owner is definitely the crazier of them two) bit her on the nose and since then she's scared of him - meanwhile she would have no problem beating this little guy up. But nooooo... she rather has fights (rarely) with dogs her own size or bigger... :eek:
Last summer I was taking a walk with her and all of the sudden a Jack R. Terrier comes flying across the road and attacks Kia! Kia did not do anything to him but I was really losing my cool because the little guy went completely berserk and I was afraid he's going to hurt her. Well, the owner came running soon, but I was pretty shocked. I never know what is the best thing to do in those situations because I don't want to get bitten or hurt the dog attacking Kia...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vierka said:
That is really funny Diana. I think they just want to be the bigger dog in the barking situation :D ...
Kia has had some unpleasant experiences with small dogs - one especially crazy dog (his owner is definitely the crazier of them two) bit her on the nose and since then she's scared of him - meanwhile she would have no problem beating this little guy up. But nooooo... she rather has fights (rarely) with dogs her own size or bigger... :eek:
Last summer I was taking a walk with her and all of the sudden a Jack R. Terrier comes flying across the road and attacks Kia! Kia did not do anything to him but I was really losing my cool because the little guy went completely berserk and I was afraid he's going to hurt her. Well, the owner came running soon, but I was pretty shocked. I never know what is the best thing to do in those situations because I don't want to get bitten or hurt the dog attacking Kia...

I was laughing at your reference to the crazy dog and the owner being crazier!! I know what you mean. It is funny how a pain in the neck dog, always has a pain in the neck owner!! It is like the dog inherits the ways of its owner. (sorry Cooper!) It is funny the way some people look like their pet!! I actually had hair like Cooper, blonde and a bit wavy, but thankfully Coopers hair has got more golden!! When i first got him, I always looked in the mirror and noted the resemblance!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please, please be careful with socks around Goldens. The breeder I purchased Shadow from has a tragic tale.

Shadow's namesake was a golden who loved socks. He would chew them, and eat them!
Small amounts apparently, nothing to do damage until......
One day he became ill and was taken to the vet. They did many tests, and could not find out what was wrong with him. In the end they operated and found a sock stuck inside his intestine. Sadly this Shadow died shortly afterwards.

You really have to watch what they chew on, that they don't swallow something that could cause a lot of problems!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts