Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I showed my little man in Open this weekend. He's got this new thing where he doesn't come when I call him for Drop on Recall. He just sits there and looks at me. I've been through it with my other dogs. They must think it's a trick or something! Judge did forget to do the Figure 8, so we didn't do it in order but I really don't think that was it.

The good part was that he did a PERFECT retrieve over the high jump! We have worked and worked on the pick up and coming to front. Tells me that we are improving! It may not sound like much but I'm pretty excited about it! 3 perfect exercises isn't bad for us beginners, other 2 were command discrimination and the stand-stay get your leash.

I'm working on my first CDX with 2 dogs but concentrating on Pilot.

·
Puddles
3,301 Posts
Pass or fail that 1st show is the hardest! Great job. I've always looked at competitions as a test in what you know and what you need to work on. It was great of the judge to let you finish the other exercises but he didn't do the figure 8 because you had already NQ on the recall.

Work on recall, with food! Put it behind you so they come running in (take a step to side to let them through), no fronts. Don't practice drop on recall during the come exercise. Teach the drop while you are heeling, in the kitchen, watching TV anytime it's unexpected. When they have a solid drop they will go down on the recall.

I do stay's at the hardware store or lowes or when the neighborhood kids are out playing and riding their bikes.. 1st in the garden area then at the cashiers counter or just at a corner when you are out for a walk. Sounds like you have done a great job, can't wait to hear how it goes on the next event.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! It wasn't our first show but it was a really tough ring. It was in a barn at the fairgrounds. We don't typically have outdoor shows around here. I train outdoors but I live in a very quiet neighborhood so there's no comparison. Also his first long trip to a trial. It was 2 hours each way.

I think you might be right about the recall. he's come to expect the drop. He slows way down waiting for me to drop him. He knows how to drop, so that isn't the issue. I think he may be transitioning things in his head. He had everything down and now things are falling apart as I'm trying to perfect it.

I don't have him entered in anything until September, so I'm going to work on it and get him to overcome it. I need to be getting or making some jumps so I can work on that stuff more than once a week.

We think he has great potential...I just hope I don't mess it up with my inexperience!

·
Puddles
3,301 Posts
It sounds like you are on your way, every show gives you experience. Sounds like you handled this one just fine. Have a good time, there will always be another show... somewhere. My last show there were 3 people with dogs that attempted to leave the ring as soon as the leash came off. LOL so this became my goal, have enough fun with my dog so they would want to stay in the ring with me! Everything else was just part of the fun.

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
Sounds like a positive start! Congrats on all that went well :)

For the recall, I am unsure if I have ever had a dog not 'stick' at some point. The path I always take is

1) try to figure out what caused the stickiness? It is usually a lack of focus or confidence, but at what? Movement behind? In front? Good smells? Lack of focus will have me addressing it in a different way than a lack of confidence (judge too close? Unsure how to front with ring gates close? A general lack conditioned emotional response? )

Once I think I have identified the underlying cause I can plan how I will address it.

Honestly, each dog I have ever had has stuck at some point, and the reason can vary from dog to dog and even from time to time. Hopefully the stick happens in training but sometimes it rears its head at a trial.

Good luck :) you are off to a great start.

·
where the tails wag
13,340 Posts
FYI I am always on the lookout for new & improved ways to proof my dogs. Not ways that will cause them to fail so that I can 'correct' them but rather ways to build their understanding and generalization of the individual exercises and ring procedures.

Long way of saying ... Fenzi has a few courses I am auditing this semester that may also interest you.

Bombproof behaviours
Are you Ready? Trial preparation for Competition

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like you are on your way, every show gives you experience. Sounds like you handled this one just fine. Have a good time, there will always be another show... somewhere. My last show there were 3 people with dogs that attempted to leave the ring as soon as the leash came off. LOL so this became my goal, have enough fun with my dog so they would want to stay in the ring with me! Everything else was just part of the fun.
I have seen dogs leave the ring too. He absolutely LOVES working for me! We will get there, I’m sure of it

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a positive start! Congrats on all that went well :)

For the recall, I am unsure if I have ever had a dog not 'stick' at some point. The path I always take is

1) try to figure out what caused the stickiness? It is usually a lack of focus or confidence, but at what? Movement behind? In front? Good smells? Lack of focus will have me addressing it in a different way than a lack of confidence (judge too close? Unsure how to front with ring gates close? A general lack conditioned emotional response? )

Once I think I have identified the underlying cause I can plan how I will address it.

Honestly, each dog I have ever had has stuck at some point, and the reason can vary from dog to dog and even from time to time. Hopefully the stick happens in training but sometimes it rears its head at a trial.

Good luck :) you are off to a great start.
I have a couple of ideas what could be happening. Will get it figured out soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts