Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an interesting weekend. It started while I was playing tug with Flip between the obedience section and the grooming section. I was just thinking about how great it is to finally have a dog that isn't bothered by the commotion around him and will play a good game of tug anywhere, when I hear some woman yelling across the room. I look up and there is a scottie running right for us. I can hear from the paniced tone in her voice that when the dog got to us it wasn't going to be good. So I immediately lifted Flip's front end off the ground, and held him standing on his hind legs. The terrier starts snapping at Flip's bottom half. I'm doing my best to keep Flip from trying to retaliate (he is growling some but I coudn't really blame him when there was a dog attached to his butt) while trying to kick the dog off my dog. Someone is finally able to get him off and I just continue right on with my game of tug because I don't want Flip dwelling on what just happened. He wasn't that into the game this time but seemed okay, so after about 45 seconds of play I walked him off so I could check him out. No broken skin so I didn't report the incident. Pat said his eyes were dilated but I don't think there's any long term effects from it.

Our novice run was not great for him. Mostly partly because he kept sneezing and because my footwork was off (I need to do more heeling with him with someone calling a pattern). I came out disappointed with our heeling but I have to remind myself he's a novice dog and for a novice dog's lowest score to be a 197 really isn't all that bad (2 points for on lead and 1 point off lead). Here's a video of that run. You might want to skip the first two minutes, it is just us playing around and hanging out waiting for our turn.

Today his heeling was better (and my footwork was better). But when it came time for his down stay he didn't want to do it. He went halfway down and then popped back up, and when I went to put him down again he trots around and makes a circle around me. Finally I tell him again and he plops right down. I leave him and he is doing fine but all of a sudden he jumps up and runs over to me :doh:. I guess that answers my question of if he could be ready for open in March. We'll be doing lots of down stays this week since he's entered in novice three times next weekend.

This afternoon he also showed in Wild Card Utility. Overall I am pleased with what he gave me. On signals I had to give a double drop signal. He was looking at me but I think his brain was elsewere. But it was not the deer in the headlights "I can't possibly do that right now" kind of look so I am not too worried about that. Rest of the signals were gorgeous. Both artices, directed retrieve, and moving stand went well, I missed two points among the four exercises, so that averages to 1/2 point apiece. Directed jumping started well. First go out was a little off (maybe 5 feet?) but he gave a nice turn and sit. Second go out was AWESOME. Dead center straight, beautiful turn and sit. He takes the jump, and then he got "Flip Brain" and ran over to the ring gate behind him to stick his head out and sniff over where they had the cake and coffee. But it was good enough for second place! (first went to an OTCH dog)

My favorite part of the weekend was showing Conner in Wild Card Open. It has been one year since his last show. He was SOOOOOO happy to be in the ring. He wanted to go tell the judge and steward all about how wonderful life is between every exercise. It was his lowest score ever in open, but I couldn't care less, he had a wonderful time and that is exactly why I entered him! :) Here's his video (they missed taping the heeling)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
These were a joy to watch! I would LOVE to get into competitive obedience :D I've been obsessed ever since I saw my first competition when I was probably about 11 or 12 y/o... Your dogs are great :)

Reactions: Loisiana

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
I'm glad that situation wasn't as bad as it could have been. Poor Flip probably thought his nether regions (what remains of them) were going to get chewed off by the little yapper. o_O!

197 = terrific score. At least with the footwork that is something you can fix quickly.

The stays... ugh. Hope it was just a bad day and location messing with his brain.

Connor - gotta love that wagging tail<:

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I'd say overall not a bad weekend. Flip is being Flip, that's gonna happen once in a while, when you least expect it.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Poor Flip, good thing he's got a solid temperament and got over it quickly. FWIW, Tito's been attacked twice at shows, and there was no long term effects either time although both times the other dog had a big mouthful of butt feathers. I'm sure Flip will be just fine, too.
Sounds like a great weekend, even though he didn't do his down stay. Great job!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though I am sitting here wondering what the heck is wrong with my dog that he has failed novice stays three times now, I am very happy that he did his articles correctly - he really took his time to search the pile :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts