1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone know of a place to get plans on making your own
obedience jumps out of PVC
I made my own jumps out of wood but there heavy and not real portable
Has anyone here made your own out of PVC?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I know of someone who made their high jump out of a mini-blind. PVC uprights, the blind adjusts from 4" to 36". Clever! The same person made a second jump identical to the first and uses wide black velcro bands to secure the blind into "bar" form....It's pretty slick.

Back before I had a real broadjump I fashioned pieces of old vinyl siding on the ground as a broad jump....worked just as well as the real broad btw....I've also used vinyl siding on regular uprights (lock layers into each other) - but it was easier to do this because I have 24" dogs (3 x 8" vinyl siding)

Erica

·
Missing my sweet Oliver
225 Posts
I ordered a jump from ebay. They cut the PVC pipe and dry fit it. It comes with end caps, jump clips and instructions. I do have plans for a jump in a book about agility but this jump was $25.00 including shipping and the 10 trips to Home Depot because I cut it wrong the first time and forgot something I need my have cost me more. I just put it together this morning. Its not the strongest jump but its just PVC pipe and its a start. I love the idea about the siding for a broad jump. I have several pieces left over from siding the house and now have a good use for them.

·
the party's crashing us
4,307 Posts
Personally I would bite the bullet, save yourself a lot of time and hassle and just order the PVC Practi-Jumps from J&J. I think the whole set 5' is under $300, very well made, and will last you forever. I store mine on the side of the house, and cart them all over the place, they look like new. Going on 6 yrs now of use.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I too have the J&J jumps, and have used them for over 15 years. They still look great.

But I have seen jumps with PVC stanchions stuck into a base of sone sort (wood, rock, more PVC). The stanchions have velcro on them to accept siding-type 'boards' which also have velcro. The boards look like they might be left over siding - I have also seen a bar with a window shade type thingee attached that attaches with velcro as well.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have the J&J jumps. I'm not crazy about them. I love the Max 200 jumps that they came out with a few years ago! Someday I'm going to at least get their high jump

677 Posts
I bought my portable jumps from Smith Equipment in British Columbia, Canada. They are PVC and just $120 for the 3 jumps. I've used them for 3 years now and they are lasting very well. The high jump is a fabric curtain hanging from a PVC bar, not a solid jump.
I am much too inept to try to make my own jumps...these are great!
http://www.dog-equipment.com/index.html

·
Registered
429 Posts
My dad helped be build a tire jump with pvc piping. I think I had just googled and found plans on how to build it.

I also have jumps that my mom bought years ago. They are made from pvc piping and have velcro to attach the boards or a bar. It doesn't look like they would be too hard to build.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Where did you find the corner pieces?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes, those corner pieces. They are called four way furniture grade outlet tree. I used my teacher's jumps as my model. Since outdoor furniture is out of season at least in the PacNW for now, I had to order them over the internet. The "feet" are about 18" long and I made the uprights around 45".

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Where did you find to order them over the internet? (See, I am in the PacNW as well!)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Like Happy I made my own, over 10 years ago and I still use them. I think you can see from Happy's pics the basic idea of using PVC pipe and various PVC joints available at any home center (Lowes, or Home Depot). The bars I used 3/4 inch pipe and the uprights I used 1 1/2 inch pipe. To mount the bar and "solid" jump I measure and drilled holes thru the PVC uprights and bars that you can slide a bolt thru to attach. To make the solid jmp solid I bought a piece of vinyl siding that I cut. The first piece I attached to the bar with screws and then the othe pieces just snap on and off that piece of siding as needed.
I also made the broad jump out of PVC. I used 1/2 inch pipe ans 45 degree and 90 degree elbows to make the frame. I then screwed vinyl siding to the frames.
I used standard plumbing PVC and connectors.
It probably took less than two hours to make both jumps and the broad jump. Like I said it was over 10 years ago so I won't brag how much it cost but they have lasted. I need to do some first aid as my grandson loves to play with them and has damaged them slightly but they still work fine.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Thanks Hank! I love to build stuff, made my wooden jumps but as all have said they are cumbersome to transport. I will look for the parts and pieces at our Home Depot tomorrow.

Happy, thanks for posting the pictures!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sorry, I don't get much time on the computer. I used 1" pipe for everything. For the bar jump I also drilled holes to slide a 1 1/4" tee up and down with a pen to hold it in place. For the solid jump, I used a long piece of velcro down the upright and cut a sticky velcro square on the back of a wide vertical blind that was cut about 4' long for the jump. The vertical blind is pretty sturdy yet will give should Jonah hit the jump. It took me a couple of hours total and was fun to make.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Where did you find to order them over the internet? (See, I am in the PacNW as well!)
I found the 4 way outlet tree on Ebay because I couldn't find it anywhere else. That will be your most expensive parts. I used the 1" 4 way outlets because my "feet" and upright were 1" PVC pipe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments guys,and the pictures Happy.
I`m getting plans together and making a list for Home Depot
I`m just trying to figure out the broad jump and all its elbows and lenght measurements,
How each one is a little smaller to fit inside each other.
Do you guys have the regulation size jumps? I was thinking about making them 4`
for easier transport.
Thanks

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
When I built mine I made them roughly 4 feet wide and so that they could be nested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
When I built mine I made them roughly 4 feet wide and so that they could be nested.
Thank you so much for posting those pictures! There's no reason I can't make something like that. Now I just need some homemade high jump board pictures, though I do have a thought on how to make those so they work with the jumps I made for agility...

Do you remember what size pipe you used? It looks like maybe half inch?

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I just made both jumps for less than $50 and it was very easy. Here are pics of the base of each jump.
So you have a permanent cross-bar at the bottom of your bar jump? My agility dogs don't bat an eyelash over one bar or two on jumps (we rarely train with two bars - as in NEVER) however, if I only did obedience (and my dogs didn't have a lot of jumping experience) I'd be concerned that the only time my dogs saw a bar jump with a single bar was in competition. It would change the entire picture.

Erica

1 - 20 of 22 Posts